Jambands.ca

Kim Mitchell....

rubberdinghy

That " Wild Party " tune sure put a lot of pressure on Kim to live up to. Imagine going over to his house on a Sunday night with a 2-4 and going " Hey Kim? Let's PARTY ". Kim can't say " Listen, I'm tired so I'm just going to take it easy tonight. ". You'd say " But you're supposed to be a WILD PARTY "!!

Max Webster was an amazing band!!! Classic suburban party soundtrack music. I think I've told the story here before of somebody at a party getting up the morning after with many guest still passed out on couches and in corners, and cranking up the intro to "Hangover"!

Jaimoe, I get your point about the Zappa comparison 'cus of Mitchell's guitar style. I actually used to think his tone was very comparable to Steve Vai in that zero-attack, does-he-even-use-his-right-hand-with-that-tone kinda way. But I also think what Max & later Kim solo really had going was the Canadian (usually better) answer (along with perhaps David Wilcox) to US party music like Steve Miller & ZZ Top. There was no better living room drinking music when we were 17-21.

The guy was also a summer instution at Kingswood at Canada's Wonderland for many summers. A highlight of nearly all my high school summers was the inivatable and always great Kim Mitchell concert. Good days!

P.S. Sheikyerbouti, I have both the Kim Mitchell and Max Webster "Best Of" collections on CD to compliment the many cassette tapes and vinyl LPs I have by both! [big Grin]

Peace,

Mr. M.

One thing about Kim (and this is really huge), when you hear him playing, you know it's him. He's has his own style that isn't lame. That puts him a cut above the rest, even if you don't like Webster that much. Of course, he has some lame tunes like "Pattio Lanterns" but great ones too like "Hangover" and "Oh War".

Steve

Archived