Jambands.ca

iPhone to make guitar pedals obsolete?

bouche

i bet that there iss one guy here that can make a pedal with chips, transistors and probably tubes - in fact he's probably sold a few custom pedals recently with his talent. I bet there are 10 times more programmers here that could do the same thing with software using apple's API's for the iPad/iPhone. I could be wrong, but I have some ideas.

yeah Brad that Beavis Board is a pretty sweet deal to get into this stuff. ive been thinking about building my own little breakout box and get a little rig like that going, it would bea easier while testing and stuff like that.

that Fatboy thing is neat, and goes to prove my point, tubes are obsolete but a ton of folks swear by that rish warm sound, i do too, tubes r great, i guess i should have typed in purple or something about that.

and bouche, im sure its even easier, if you know what you are doing, to program some digital code to make audio signal X sound like Y or whatever, even line 6 started something so guys can do DIY digital shit, see here

that stuff is still beyond me, hell, half the stuff i build i dont really understand the theory behind it, but im learning. its a slow process with everything else i have going on in my life.

I dont have an iphone, so ill be using my homemade stuff, but if you can coax some good tones out of an iphone app, giver i say, and post a sound sample too, i wanna hear this shiat

no more so than computers have completely replaced traditional gear. I would love to be able to ditch about 150lbs of equipment but it just hasn't happened yet. I've been running a laptop with ableton live 8 at home in hopes of ditching the rack of despair but doesn't seem to be in the cards. I can usually deal with problems with hardware and traditional gear. blue screen of death in live performance isn't cool or something I'm wiling to go through on stage.

That all being said, there's lots of cool stuff happening in software. Just let me know when you guys are ready to sell off your bucket brigade analog delays, and tape echos. you won't need those old things with that awesome software model. ;)

blue screen of death in live performance isn't cool or something I'm wiling to go through on stage.;)

Wouldn't that be a horrific moment.... I swear I've had nightmares based on that theme.

I think as I get older, I like the idea of less technology rather than more. The less catastrophically systems fail, the better, imo (and to put it in context, finding two patchcords that work is an uphill struggle for me).

1. I've never seen a blue screen of death with a mac - Sorry to read about it if that's your workhorse, Pablo.

I bet there are 10 times more programmers here that could do the same thing with software using apple's API's for the iPad/iPhone. I could be wrong, but I have some ideas.

2. This all boils down to a real thing vs. does-what-I-want discussion, which happens all over the internet.

Digital gear will never do what analog gear does, even if you think it sounds the same.

Not to say it can't sound great, but it's just not the same. iRig - very neat. Still just an iphone app. Would be super handy but probably not a realistic replacement for real gear.

Jonyak: Glad to see another satisfied M9 user. That's one of the few things I've seen that I kinda want. for $400 (or so) a person can save a lot of space and weight...I know that my pedalboard's probably cost me somewhere around $700 and that's 4 pedals and a tuner + this and that.

Would I buy what I did again?

Probably.