Jambands.ca

NHL Free agency 2010

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

So according to Eklund, the Blackhawks have begun their salary purge by trading Byfuglian, Eager and Sopel to Alanta for picks and prospects. (e5)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be the start of a good free agent season fro the Leafs...

This may be said by Leafs fans every season but it does look like Burke is slowly starting to bhuild something with a younger team...

Kessel,Bozak,Kulimen,Phaneuf,Schenn and add Versteeg to that list who is only 24... Add in the Monster in goal and I'm starting to see where his vision is going.

If you ask me, POG aint thinking this through. Then again that's the way of the Leaf fan.

A 24 year old who scored 20 goals in a full season playing with the likes of Hossa making 3 million+ this upcoming year vs a 24 year old who scored 9 goals in half a season playing with a shitty offence making less than 800 grand this upcoming year.

Way to help Chicago's cap there Burke but I suppose that's what you like to do for other GM's.

Actually I look at it like Stalberg coming off a concussion doesn't have the leadership and experience that a young Versteeg has... Kris has now seen what it takes to make a run at the cup and having a youngster with that kind of experience can only help the dressing room.

I'm not gonna question Burke until the team has been fully put together and we spend the money we have under the cap... a good 15 mil I believe.

Hey Booche & dave-O, it was great running into you guys - sitting just a few rows in front of me at the CMAC!

Mixed feelings about Gonchar, he's a great defenceman and good offensively too, but $5.5M a year is pricey. Should have put the money towards Volchenkov? Not sure how much Volchenkov will sign for with another team.

An interesting free agent "frenzy" so far.

In a vacuum, I think the Gonchar signing is great - he still has elite skill and logs a ton of ice, should help Ottawa's lousy PP. But I can't understand why a team at the stage the Sens are at would want another 35+ player?

Good to see you too Dave!

Edited by Guest

After 4 hours of free agency, is it safe to assume Nabokov/Turco/Mason = SOL? Who still needs a goalie??

Forgot about Atlanta needing a goaler, they signed Mason for pretty cheap. Nabby and Turco may have priced themselves straight to the KHL... maybe Philly could still sign one cheap??

Will this be the year the NHL GM's REALLY start to bury contracts in the minors? There is speculation that the following may end up in the minors for cap reasons:

- Sheldon Sourray

- Christobal Huet

- The Rangers team (if they go after Kovy 2.0)

- Hamrlik (please....ok, maybe he's just on my wishlist)

Once the seal is broken with doing this, it will become more common... Funny that it may be Edmonton to do this first, as no one wants to play there to begin with...

Guest Low Roller

If it becomes too common the next round of CBA talks may seal up that loophole. Anyone remember Jeff Finger's amazing run with the Leafs?

The Hawks are in serious trouble cap-wise because they face almost $5M in cap-reduction penalty for this year because of going over the cap last year.

Guest Low Roller

Kovalchuk about to agree to a 7-year $60M contract with the Devils? Interesting, this gives me hope that the age of overpaying players is over.

Averaging about $8.5M per season, it's not far off what Atlanta was offering him with 12 years for $101M (averaging $8.4M per season).