Jambands.ca

Big changes at the Fan 590

Jaimoe

I'm kind of shocked (I've been on vacation, so I didn't know about this). I like the morning crew, but didn't care for Mike Hogan's 9-noon slot.

Here's the story from last weeek's Globe:

Bruce Dowbiggin

From Friday's Globe and Mail

Published on Thursday, Jun. 24, 2010 1:52PM EDT

Last updated on Friday, Jun. 25, 2010 12:35AM EDT

The long-rumoured changes at The Fan 590 arrived Thursday, and as expected, the station is headed in a new direction. Gone are the morning drive team of Don Landry and Gord Stellick plus morning show host Mike Hogan. Announcer Rick Ralph and long-time producer Brian Angus are also leaving the station.

In addition, Rogers Sportsnet host Daren Millard is being replaced as host of the Hockey Central package at lunchtime. Joining The Fan to work the noon to 3 p.m. shift is Greg Brady, formerly co-host of AM640's Bill Watters Show. Prime Time Sports will now air from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., with either pregame shows from the Blue Jays and Raptors or a repeat of Prime Time content in the 6 to 7 p.m. hour.

The morning drive show from 6 to 9 a.m. will be hosted on an interim basis by Jeff Lumby, a Toronto radio veteran. But Fan program director Don Kollins says he's putting out an ad to get the best person or team available in North America. Speculation had CBC Hour host George Stroumboulopoulos being considered for the spot, but after brief conversations the sides have not pursued the matter. His name might resurface later.

“The brand is incredible, but it is underperforming in certain time slots,†Kollins told Usual Suspects Thursday. “The changes were not made lightly. We had a good book this spring in certain areas, yes, but if you keep doing the same thing, you'll get the same result. And these results weren't good enough. For instance, I need a 10 share in the morning.â€

There had been talk in radio circles that Andrew Krystal, now hosting a talk radio format at NEWS 957 in Halifax, might be joining The Fan to host the 9 AM to noon slot, but Krystal told Usual Suspects that he has no deal in place yet with The Fan and is happy with his job in Halifax.

Still, the move to consider non-traditional sports voices such as Krystal and Stroumboulopoulus indicates that The Fan is looking to move beyond pure sports early in the day. It is thought the station is looking to model itself on WFAN in New York, where morning host Don Imus does politics, not sports, on his show.

Kollins says the new media demand a new approach.

“I can't move into the new millennium of blogs and Twitter with guys who don't get it,†Kollins says. “We are going to remain a sports station at our core. We'll talk 80 per cent sports, but we'll also talk about the hot topic of the day like the G20 or the new Twilight movie.â€

Ironically, the changes come in the wake of a strong spring book with Prime Time Sports earning unprecedented numbers in its 4 to 7 p.m. slot. But the expected boost from the Olympics didn't lift the other shows enough.

The malaise for all Toronto sports teams didn't help, either. The changes are the first major move since Kollins replaced long-time program director Nelson Millman after the Olympics in February.

Gord Harris, program director of AM 640 confirmed Brady's move.

“As of today we are actively looking for a co-host for The Bill Watters Show,†Harris told Usual Suspects Thursday. “We haven't put any time frame on when that will happen. The person we choose will dictate that, but we feel we have plenty of options.â€

Harris confirmed that Watters will remain with the show, despite logging double duty at Rogers Sportsnet.

Andrew Krystal is incredible as far as talk radio hosts go, but unfortunately he doesn't know fuck all about sports and is immediately exposed as clueless whenever it's the topic of conversation.

The station is adding a little less sports talk, especially in the morning, which is fine by me (this format works for WFAN in NY, a station I listen to whenever the signal blows into Kingston and I'm home). Radio is a ruthless business. We'll see if this experiment works. I did't like Hogan's slot at all, but he did break up the constant Leaf talk (Hogan loves the CFL and CIS).

I love Jack Armstrong on the radio, but he didn't have an equally interesting co-host. The morning crew was getting a little stale, so I'm looking forward to something new in September (but in the meantime, the interim morning crew featuring news director Doug Faraway will suck suck suck).

As soon as Millman left the ball started rolling on this. I'm happy for the change - the morning show was just the same shit every day forever, and the Hogan slot was snap time.

And yes, Faraway is terrible. I'll listen to Phish until September.

;)

One aspect of the changes that I don't like is the implimentation of more niche hours such as MMA, video games, Raceline Radio (it's been on awhile, but now their host does mainstream sports and he sucks ass when he talks outside his comfort zone) etc... It's not that they should be ignored, but the hosts are weak and it's pretty insular radio all-round. 550 in Buffalo, right now, is the better sports station.