Jambands.ca

Furthur 2010.07.07

ollie

I'm so sorry to have missed so many peeps that made a special trip to O-Town for this show...

but I somehow (and absolutely unforseen -- thank you Sean Taylor!!), ended up directly front and centre, and had the time of my life.

20+ years of seeing this band and never dreamed of being close enough to so enjoy Phil's beatific smile!!! I missed Jerry so much, but he was definitely "channeled" ... Wharf Rat was an incredible moving moment for me....felt like I had time travelled, indeed!

One of the best parts was, there's a head I know at work, when I asked if he was going he was like "no, no, I'm not going, I'll be fired if I take two days off for going to a concert. Definately NOT going" Ya see, my Dad is kinda a boss at work on a different shift, dude worked with my old man though for a while. Dad's a little more straight laced than I am. Anyway, I turn around at the show and who's 5 feet behind me with a big shit eating grin on but dude from work. ha ha, we had a blast. He knows now I'm no snitch. His jaw almost hit the ground when he saw me though, busted!!

Sorry we missed you CJ and DEM we were only 20 feet away from front and center!

Great show!

Good to see all of you Ottawa cats, it had been a while. Special thanks to Meggo, Northern Wish, Booche and Davey Boy (and family), you know what you did.

That Bertha really stood out to me, great setlist overall though, definately better that the shea show I saw in Buffalo.

Those tour buses are dangerously fancy let me tell you.

I thought the review in the Citizen had some odd things tossed in. For example:

Up front, although it was a little disconcerting to see the youngsters playing the classics, each brought their own flair to the songs. What was missed was the extra percussion work that came with the Dead’s original members, if only because it would have broken up the long stretches of noodling that made fans restless. Many drifted away to other stages.

from Ottawa Citizen

Using "youngsters" to refer to some very incredible musicians is just plain insulting. And I for one was glad that they kept the dynamic drum duo out. I would have not wanted to hear a drum/space. It seems like that is what she is referring to here.

I thought this was an unnecessary dig at the end of the review:

By the end of the night, Furthur proved their status as the world’s best Grateful Dead cover band, to the delight of the tie-dye nation.

If the band wants to lose that tag, they’ll have to come up with a few new songs.

That was terrific indeed! I think still that I was most happy that they played just a lovely walk down the river from my backdoor! It was great hanging with some friends and family and just strolling down to see the band.

I learned that perhaps I should not have eaten so many brownies-with the heat and baking it was all I could do to stay on my feet. Luckily I was in the gold circle area and not surrounded by sweaty bodies-probably would have done me in. My wife has a bad back too so it was good she could lean on the chairs and sit when needed.

Interesting and rocking set which I really enjoyed even though I felt like Hunter S Thompson or some such. Were you aware that the woman singing with them is the daughter of Ken Kesey and Mountain Girl?

Lynn's review in the Citizen was a little lame but I think she was trying to speak from an outsiders view. She used to come to all my Longbottom gigs way back when and has been to grateful dead concerts in the eighties-she doesn't necessarily call it her favourite style of music and probably retreated from it for many years.....looked for her in the FOH where she said she'd be but didn't see her.....nobody there but lizards.

It was a real treat taking my daughters there and was quite moved seeing them have a good time-they saw the Grateful Dead when they were babies but that's not quite the same.

Edited by Guest

• 8 months later...