Jambands.ca

RIP George Steinbrenner

Basher

Love him or hate him, you gotta respect what he did for fans of his team. Shame he wasn't elected to the HOF as a builder while he was alive.

Report: Steinbrenner dies at 80

ESPN.com news services

George Steinbrenner died Tuesday morning, a person close to the longtime New York Yankees owner told The Associated Press.

WABC-TV in New York reported that Steinbrenner, the Yankees' owner since 1973, suffered a massive heart attack.

According to reports, Steinbrenner, who celebrated his 80th birthday on July 4, was taken to a Tampa hospital after emergency crews responded to his home Monday night.

Steinbrenner gave his sons, Hal and Hank, day-to-day control of the team in late 2007.

He told The Associated Press last week that he was "feeling good" after spending a couple hours in his office at the Yankees' spring training complex.

Under his ownership, the Yankees have won seven AL pennants and seven World Series titles.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Steinbrenner: Mrs. Costanza?

Estelle: Yes?

Steinbrenner: My name is George Steinbrenner, I'm afraid I have some very sad news about your son.

Estelle: (gasps) I can't believe it. He was so young. How could this have happened?

Steinbrenner: Well, he'd been logging some pretty heavy hours, first one in the morning, last one to leave at night. That kid was a human dynamo.

Estelle: Are you sure you're talking about George?

Steinbrenner: You are Mr. and Mrs. Costanza?

Frank: What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?! He had 30 home runs and over 100 RBIs last year. He's got a rocket for an arm. You don't know what the hell you're doin'!

Steinbrenner: Well, Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people loved Ken Phelps' bat. They kept saying "Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps."

Steinbrenner: Mrs. Costanza?

Estelle: Yes?

Steinbrenner: My name is George Steinbrenner, I'm afraid I have some very sad news about your son.

Estelle: (gasps) I can't believe it. He was so young. How could this have happened?

Steinbrenner: Well, he'd been logging some pretty heavy hours, first one in the morning, last one to leave at night. That kid was a human dynamo.

Estelle: Are you sure you're talking about George?

Steinbrenner: You are Mr. and Mrs. Costanza?

Frank: What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?! He had 30 home runs and over 100 RBIs last year. He's got a rocket for an arm. You don't know what the hell you're doin'!

Steinbrenner: Well, Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people loved Ken Phelps' bat. They kept saying "Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps."

That was a beaut Booche! Forgot about that one:

• 2 weeks later...

John Uren of Powell River, B.C., remembers George Steinbrenner, who died on July 13.

Being a long-time Boston Red Sox fan, I wasn't a big fan of the Yankees or Mr. Steinbrenner. But also as a thoroughbred horse racing fan I was aware of his successful Kinsmen Stable and of his attempt in the mid-1980s to revive horse racing and Tampa Bay Downs racetrack in his own backyard. He spent a lot of money refurbishing the facility.

Each winter I left my South Carolina base to meet up with Canadian friends in Florida to attend some spring-training games. One year on my way down I stopped by Tampa Bay Downs to see the changes.

By accident I ran into Mr. Steinbrenner walking through the stands.

I introduced myself and told him what a great job he was doing.

He was, as always, smartly dressed and very genial to a total stranger.

Next day it happened that the game my friends and I attended was the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankee clash, in Lakeland. We had box seats. Early in the game, Mr. Steinbrenner walked by and said, 'Hello John.' Imagine my surprise and that of my friends.

Suddenly George wasn't such a villain after all.