Jambands.ca

Hillside Festival 2010 Schedule released

DevO

I know they played West LA Fadeaway, Not Fade Away, Bertha and encored with Cinammon Girl....didn't recognize a lot of their own stuff but it was all great!

Zeus was killer, lotsa great bands in the tents this year - Flash Lightnin' kicked ass and saved me from Sarah Harmer, Holy F*** laid down a great set...

Shad wasn't big enough for the mainstage, Calexico owned it Friday night...

On a side note, Son of a Hurricane gets the award for 'ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME' by slamming the tent with a RATM Bombtrack teaser...leading into Pantera (What) !!!!!!! holy crap.

It was great to return to Hillside festival this year after five years away - now I really remember why I keep referring to it as the best festival I've ever been to. They have almost everything down perfectly, really a model for all other festivals in Canada to learn from.

My highlights and observations:

- Paul Niehaus on the pedal steel guitar during the Calexico set... So very beautiful!

- the Saturday afternoon Colossal Jam: members of Los Lobos, Calexico, Sarah Harmer, Jason Collett. Great show.

- Sunday Morning Gospel Session: Sarah Harmer, Horse Feathers, The Good Lovelies, Be Good Tanyas, Ben Whiteley (Flashlight Radio, etc), Morgan O'Kane, Sam Doores

- Braids - Awesome new band #1. Young quadruplet from Montreal.

- Horse Feathers - Awesome new band #2. From Portland, Oregon. Don't miss them at Ottawa Folk Festival on Aug 14!

- I missed Shane Koyczan and the Short Story Long but I heard that his/their set at the Lake Stage was insane. This is the slam poet guy who did the poem during the opening ceremonies to the Olympics.

- Gord Downie & The Country of Miracles + Julie Doiron did a small set on the Island stage and a big set on the main stage on Sunday. During both sets, Dave Clark (drummer, also drummer from the Rheostatics, etc) consistently cracked the audience up and provided a relieving contrast to Downie's somewhat more serious and tense and strange (but captivating as always) stage presence.

- Good to see you Eric and Anne, though briefly.

- As usual, unfortunately, once again I missed the Lee Harvey Osmond set.

- Sorely missed from the festival lineup: The Sadies, Kevin Breit.

Edited by Guest