Jambands.ca

Bluesfest safe haven

zero

Hey I`m really thinking about just packing her in and heading back to TO. It`s not like concerts that end at 11:00 every night is the hard part it`s all the running around and not just exhaustive but seriously exhausting journalism I try to do. Basically I thought I had things worked out but now I`m checking out of the hotel at 3:00 and would like to stay but really just need a calm, safe place to stay.

I`ve got about 1300 pics from the fest on my Blackberry that are photo essays to and from the concert faces, t-shirts, hats in the crowd - really great visuals. I`ve got about 9 bands full setlists in hand including The Cat Empire`s stage copy with striked out numbers (that was a brilliant show). I`d like to really be able to gauge the festival`s finest performances. Of course.

if they ask you how i'm holding up say i'm holding out for the words ...

Sarah Harmer

Try doing Bluesfest with a day job!

Yeah, last year I did bluesfest every day, came home, wrote a bit of the review of the day for this site, got up at 6, worked til 5, tried to finish the review from the night before, then repeated that 11 times.  Totally exhausting. 

If you're not working during the fest it should be pretty doable to submit some writing daily.  Just my two cents.  

Shitty that you feel run down though zero. 

I'm sure there are stresses and stuff, but many writers would eat their favourite moleskine for the opportunity and access you have. PLUS you don't have to go to work 8-9 hours a day? Safe haven- Like a hotel?!? jeez man.

With your knowledge of music, handle on the English Language and tendency to get into the thick of a concert experience- this should be enjoyable as hell!!

take a nap and write it out!

Okay let's put it this way guys. I worked 16 hr. days as a sous-chef, drop-in kitchen chef, volunteer, got elected to the Board of Directors, oversaw my younger brothers wedding to an Arabic woman during the G20 then headed to Ottawa for my 'vacation'.

Also if you're someone like myself who can yes fend for himself, but for whom personal safety (not physical safety) is imperative, but has gone through the physical traumas I have trust me having the rug (or you pulling the rug out from underneath yourself depending on whose stance you take) is highly problematic.

It's all in the prep - I wrote most of my reviews about a month ago. Now I pretty much just put my feet up and enjoy the music.

Todd- you are the Poison - I am the Cure. They accredit guys like Todd to write 700 words at 11:00 the night of the festival but I'll spend a few hundred hours unpaid on all of this (and yes Monkey it is PRICELESS material but I was given NO ACCESS it's because I already have ACCESS because I'm who I am and deeply invested in the culture of Canadian musicians).

Attending that incredibly well programmed but - seriously THE WORST RUN FESTIVAL IN CANADA PERIOD. I can prove this 18 ways to Sunday. Glad you enjoyed your swishy swishy laminate and hospitality Todd. Us in the audience, being subjected to repeated and multiple useless shakedowns by $12 an hour ground and pounders (thinly veiled homoeroticism) is called A) a breach of charter rights and freedoms and well basically.... Wait for the stories.

I thought this thread went totally dead. Glad to know I have some friends out there and not just FRANDS.

I'm sorry if I am causing you any grief Luke, none is intended really I'm just funnin' a bit, as I'm sure you are sometimes. It was good to see you, if ever so briefly.

For the record, the Bluesfest people contacted me to work for them because they had read the reviews Mike asked me to write for jambands. Really, this is one of Ottawa's main music message boards - they read this stuff.

(Also: Thanks Mr. Slippery, kind of you to say)

For the record nobody that I know at the fest was subject to any kind of search or shakedown inside the festival grounds. All the volunteers I talked to were super friendly. And the only negatives I can blame on Bluesfest Corp is the stupid tent and the sound bleed.

Weird- I found that Ottawa Bluesfest had mostly non-existant security; from my non-criminal point of view. And I thought it was tremendously well-run.

Also Luke, I didn't want to upset you because you seemed so convinced at the show- but Steve Winwood was DEFINITELY never in REO Speedwagon.

For the record nobody that I know at the fest was subject to any kind of search or shakedown inside the festival grounds. All the volunteers I talked to were super friendly. And the only negatives I can blame on Bluesfest Corp is the stupid tent and the sound bleed.

Exactly, there was no patdown or shakedown going in, they'd casually go through your bag and that's about it. Unless you were actually breaking a law the security was on patrol but friendly and fair (as well as all the volunteers every where you went). And if you were breaking a law and were unlucky enough to get caught but were friendly and decent about it, they let you go with a warning.