EPL 2010-2011 (and other soccer stuff)

ollie

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from football365

Keeper For Every Flame

If Jens Lehmann does make an emergency return to Arsenal, Mediawatch would love to be a fly on the wall when he bumps into Manuel Almunia. Presumably the pair will be exchanging hugs, backslaps and photographs of the kids.

Or maybe not.

Here are quotes from an interview given to The Guardian by Almunia in April 2008: "I'm an easy-going person. I like to treat everyone with respect and I see everyone as equals. I treat people the way I would like to be treated myself. To have someone here who hates me is just amazing. I know he hates me."

Not 'dislikes' or 'disapproves' but 'hates'.

According to the by-all-accounts affable Spaniard, the prickly German had not spoken to him for several years before he left the club in the summer of 2008.

"Every morning I wake up," said Almunia, "I know it is going to be the same. I've had to put up with it every day since he was out of the team and even before then. I wake up and I know what it is going to be like. But I don't care about him any more. He can say what he likes. I come into training and I work with Lukasz Fabianski and Vito Mannone. They are better goalkeepers than him anyway."

Ouch.

Incidentally, Mediawatch was very interested to read this paragraph from the same article...

'Lehmann has been increasingly getting under Wenger's skin and there was a telling scene at the manager's press conference yesterday when he was asked whether the German would get a new contract when his present deal expires at the end of this season. "Pardon?" said Wenger incredulously. The question was repeated and Wenger snorted with laughter. "The boss is trying to build a team of kind people," says Almunia. "He wants easy-going people who have character. He doesn't like arguments in the dressing room."'

Things are about to get very interesting indeed.

"We played like champions today, we kept our heads up and didn't lose faith in our ability. It's never easy coming here. They are fighting relegation but we had to do our thing. We dominated that second half and it was a real championship performance.''

"It was eventful. Being two goals down was a travesty in terms of possession and chances created. We were under the cosh so I felt we had to go for it. We needed to get something from it.''

waynerooneygoal20110402_350x197.jpg

What's with Mourinho not being a complete cunt?

"When I was in England he was not managing teams with a possibility of reaching these kind of ambitions in the Champions League. Finally after the good work he was doing, he went to Tottenham, who had the resources to build a good team. I'm very, very happy for him. I hope, and I say this from my heart, that if I don't reach the final, then I hope he does it."

LOVE this midfield for Spurs, btw. Sandro was a quiet star in the last AC Milan matchup, hoping for more of the same, and Huddlestone on the bench is nice.

Real Madrid: Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Carvalho, Marcelo, Di Maria, Alonso, Ozil, Khedira, Adebayor, Ronaldo. Subs: Adan, Kaka, Diarra, Granero, Arbeloa, Garay, Higuain.

Tottenham: Gomes, Corluka, Gallas, Dawson, Assou-Ekotto, Lennon, Sandro, Modric, Bale, Van der Vaart, Crouch. Subs: Cudicini, Huddlestone, Jenas, Pavlyuchenko, Defoe, Bassong, Kranjcar.

I'm going spoiler free now, see you after I've watched the match... COME ON YOUR SPURS!!

:chug: :chug: :chug: