Jambands.ca

Shady rental company BS

DevO

Hey all,

We booked a car for this past weekend with Discount, a company that royally sucks. At pick up time on Friday, they didn't have a car for me (or the other 5 customers there who had reserved cars), so we were shuttled over to a small independent operation. We had their car for the weekend.

I wasn't there when my girlfriend returned the car this morning, but apparently there were some scratches on the front bumper (which neither of us ever knew about -- likely from driving the car across a field for camping at Hillside). They estimated the cost to fix it to be approx $200. They just called back to let us know this is going to cost $600. I don't trust them and want to verify that this is the true cost, but not sure how to follow up. Anyone here ever been in a similar situation? Thanks..

Edited by Guest

ask for pictures of the damage with a picture of the current mileage as well to see if it matches up to the mileage you left the vehicle with. How did you plan on paying for the damage. I take it you have your own insurance through a credit card or perhaps your own insurance through your car. Let your insurance company do some research on your behalf. They don't like to pay anybody , they will be very thorough with the rental company making sure that they have all the proper documents and procedures in check before they give them any money. Did you sign a damage inspection sheet before you left. Or was it a as is transaction? i presume the rental company has a hold your credit card. Call your credit card company and tell them to not let any pre authorization go through to a sale without your approval. I am sure you feel like they have you by the balls, but be persistent and don't claim that you did this damage. My company is very large so something like this i would just say whatever let it go. A small independent may not. This may actually be his profit. No way he is going to fix that car. Ask for a detailed receipt from the mechanic of what is fixed if it goes that far. I think you can make him give up on his quest to screw you over. Did your gf take pictures with your camera of the damage before she left. Good luck

We booked a car for this past weekend with Discount, a company that royally sucks. At pick up time on Friday, they didn't have a car for me (or the other 5 customers there who had reserved cars), so we were shuttled over to a small independent operation.

Agent: I'm sorry, we have no mid-size available at the moment.

Jerry: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?

Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the

reservation.

Agent: I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. If you did, I'd have a car. See, you know how to

take the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation and

that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody

can just take them.

(apologies for making light of a shitty situation)

well at least you found your tix ... ;)

are you taking issue with them saying that you caused the damage. KevO? or the cost of the damage?

did you guys do a full walk-around when you picked up the car? and sign off that there was no damage at that time?

besides, isn't that what the insurance (they force you to pay for) is all about? and is your contract with Discount?

sucks.

ask for pictures of the damage with a picture of the current mileage as well to see if it matches up to the mileage you left the vehicle with. How did you plan on paying for the damage. I take it you have your own insurance through a credit card or perhaps your own insurance through your car. Let your insurance company do some research on your behalf. They don't like to pay anybody , they will be very thorough with the rental company making sure that they have all the proper documents and procedures in check before they give them any money. Did you sign a damage inspection sheet before you left. Or was it a as is transaction? i presume the rental company has a hold your credit card. Call your credit card company and tell them to not let any pre authorization go through to a sale without your approval. I am sure you feel like they have you by the balls, but be persistent and don't claim that you did this damage. My company is very large so something like this i would just say whatever let it go. A small independent may not. This may actually be his profit. No way he is going to fix that car. Ask for a detailed receipt from the mechanic of what is fixed if it goes that far. I think you can make him give up on his quest to screw you over. Did your gf take pictures with your camera of the damage before she left. Good luck

that sounds like a great strategy to follow.

i don't think any insurance company would bat an eye at $600. that's not even worth their time to ask questions. they would just pay it (and jack up his premiums).

yes the insurance company would pay it so as long the rental company follows their policy's. All insurance company's i have ever dealt with want open and closing contract signed and paid by renter of the vehicle, detailed mechanic bills. pictures of damage He dosn't want to go through any insurance claim. he wants kevo to pay cash for it which some people buckle and do quite often because they know if they make a claim on their insurance their premiums will go up so they just pay it and get it over with which makes that rental agent 600 bucks profit

I rent a lot - never seen them charge for anything like that. I think its probably bs too.

If you didn't notice it - you didn't do it. You'd notice something like that.

I'd get Discount involved since they fucked you around the first place and got you there. Don't pay.

I'd ask for the original contract. Ask for the previous contract. Check the milage like they said. Ask for estimates (ask for 2 seperate estimates).

Basically, if it was me, I'd not pay until I was pretty sure that they'd put in well over $600 of time an energy.

On the other hand - if it was me who did the damage - and if I didn't want to put through an insurance claim - I am just try and negotiate with cash.

Did you use a credit card? And did the credit card cover that type of damage? When you put claims in with your credit card does that show up on your insurance? You might be able to get them involved.

Hey! Been away from the board here all day and thanks for all the input. Yes we did a full inspection before rental and carefully marked down every little scratch. The new scratches were identified upon our return and indeed we are responsible. I wasn't there for this part (my GF returned the car, and its on her name). My concern is with the $600 price tag. They claim to have scoped out two estimates, but do not have these on paper (hence I believe this to be BS). However in arguing this with the company, they argue that: 1) they already are not charging us for the "down time", or for the time that the car is not on the road because it is in for repairs... they claim that this is in the contract; 2) they are not obliged to obtain two estimates - although they did get two anyway (although this is suspect to me).

We have insurance provided through credit card. The insurance company requires a list of stuff to make the claim: rental agreement, damage report, etc. All I'm worried about at this point is if the car rental company tries to get away with not providing us a detailed invoice for the repairs - needed for the insurance.

they have to provide that info or they are not getting paid. At my company we have a claims guy that deals with the insurance company's and that's all he does. So he get's all that info to the insurance reps and our customers don't do anything but get a claim number give it to him and he takes care of the rest. Not sure what company you are dealing with but if they want to get paid they have to provide this stuff to the insurance company. You are doing your part in intiating the claim and getting the claim number.