Jambands.ca

Makin' me proud, Chatham!

Schwa.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police raiding a marijuana farm in western Canada were astonished to find black bears apparently guarding it.

However initial alarm wore off when officers realised the 10 or so bears did not behave aggressively and were in fact docile and tame.

Police believe dog food was used to attract the animals onto the farm in British Columbia.

But they say the bears may have to be put down if they have become accustomed to living around humans.

Two people were arrested in the raid.

The five police who went to the farm near Christina Lake, close to the US border, to dismantle the marijuana plantation were amazed when the bears loped into view.

"They were tame, they just sat around watching, eating from what looked like a bag of Doritos. At one point one of the bears climbed onto the hood of a police car, sat there for a bit and then jumped off," said Royal Canadian Mounted Police sergeant Fred Mansveld.

In Canada, feeding bears is illegal as it leads to bears associating food with humans and increases the likelihood of bears coming into towns and cities to look for food.

Conservation officers are deciding the fate of the bears.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11020965

Attempted jean theft lands woman behind bars

A 20-year-old Chatham woman is behind bars after allegedly trying to steal nine pairs of jeans.

Chatham-Kent police said a woman went to the Real Canadian Superstore Wednesday and tried to take the pants.

She is charged with theft and possession of stolen property.

She was held for bail.

WOMAN CHARGED WITH ASSAULT, PUBLIC NUDITY

A 40-year-old Kingston woman is facing charges after she repeatedly slugged a male companion before staging an impromptu striptease for police officers.

The highly intoxicated, naked woman was arrested Saturday just after 7 p.m. in the parking lot of a west end shopping plaza.

Police say the woman and a man walked past a parked police cruiser and officers saw the woman punch her male companion in the face several times.

When an officer tried to intervene, the woman became irate and inexplicably began tearing off her clothes until she was buck naked, despite the officer's entreaties for her to stop the stripping.

The unclothed woman yelled at the officer for good measure.

He finally convinced her to put her clothes back on and she was arrested.

She's charged with assault and public nudity. Police said the male victim was not seriously hurt.

The woman was one of 11 people charged over the weekend in Kingston with public intoxication.

Yeah well i'm going to start a new thread for every town/city now am I? that'd be something that someone like this guy would do

A 48-year-old drug addict with what assistant Crown attorney Gerard Laarhuis described as a significant record, has been sentenced to five years in penitentiary for two home invasions that were simultaneously pathetic, bizarre and frightening for his downtown student victims.

Phillip Hickey received the sentence Tuesday after pleading guilty to two counts of armed robbery, possession of an imitation handgun for the purpose of committing an indictable offence and having his face masked during the commission of a crime.

Hickey told Justice Rommel Masse he'd lived with the guilt, "it's out on the table now and I can get on with my life."

Laarhuis said both robberies targeted Queen's University students who, trusting in the security of their community, didn't keep their doors locked.

In the first instance, around 11 p.m. on Feb. 7, the prosecutor told the judge Hickey simply walked into an Earl Street house occupied by three students.

According to Laarhuis, he had on a black balaclava covering his face and was wearing surgical gloves and packing what looked like a black pistol -- actually a pellet gun -- when he suddenly confronted the students. He herded them into the living room and demanded all of their money and drugs.

The students didn't have any drugs and Laarhuis said at least one started to cry. They offered him their debit cards and PIN numbers, begging him to leave.

Eventually, pooling their resources, Masse was told they were able to scratch together $40, and Hickey finally agreed to go after stripping them of two cellphones.

Before Hickey left, however, Laarhuis said he became bizarrely solicitous, cautioning the students to stay away from drugs.

Later, they found the cellphones he'd taken dumped behind their couch.

Six days later, Hickey went prowling again, this time slipping in through the unlocked side door of a Brock Street student residence.

Making his way to one of the upper floors, Laarhuis said he walked into the bedroom of one of the six male occupants of the house -- face masked, hands inside latex gloves inside black Red Zone gloves, gun in hand. He told his victim he wanted cash, cigarettes and drugs, but he ended up stealing the younger man's jewelry before binding him to a chair with a pair of jeans.

Hickey then went downstairs, according to the Crown, where he cornered a second student in his bedroom, repeated his demands for cash, smokes and drugs, and stole his victim's BlackBerry and the keys to his Volkswagen before tying him to a chair as well, again using clothing as bindings.

Laarhuis said one of the victims later recounted to police that the robber temporized about what he was doing, telling him: "I'm just looking for money. I'm in a tough spot. I need cash."

The victim remembered the intruder's messy appearance, his mouth slimy with sticky spittle, his nose running. He told police he'd offered the robber a tissue to blow his nose and that Hickey fumbled noticeably through the mechanics of tying him up.

Both victims in the second robbery recalled Hickey asking questions about how many people lived in their house, whether any of them were female and "any of them big guys?" He asked his second victim who the biggest guy in the house was and Laarhuis said that when Hickey was told that he'd already found him on the floor above, Hickey's response was apparent surprise. He told the student "you guys need to work out more."

He also lectured the two young men in the Brock Street house about not using drugs, and collected their cellphones, but told them he was doing it only to keep them from calling police. He assured them they'd find their phones in the morning, which they did.

Hickey got away in both cases, but, Masse was told, two months later on April 19, Kingston Police received an anonymous tip pointing them in Hickey's direction and supplying enough detail about the crimes that the call was taken seriously.

A search warrant was subsequently obtained for Hickey's home, where the pellet gun and other items linking him to the crimes were subsequently recovered. Hickey was arrested and detained in custody.

Hickey's criminal record includes prior convictions for robbery and assault. In this instance, Laarhuis told the judge the accounts of the victims might suggest that he was trying to rob his victims gently, but he quickly pointed out that's an oxymoron.

"Perhaps it's more reflective of the depths Phillip Hickey has sunk to in carrying out crimes." he told Masse.

The prosecutor reminded the judge that regardless of his demeanour "he's traumatizing people."

"People are crying."

He also told the judge it was an aggravating factor Hickey preyed on Queen's students because "they tend to be a trusting lot, as shown by the unlocked doors."

Hickey's defence lawyer, Lawrence Silver, who joined in recommending the five-year prison sentence, noted that the last time Hickey came out of prison, he put himself through the Harbour Light program in an attempt to beat his addictions.

He assured Masse that Hickey really does want help with his drug problem.

The inability of a man to adhere to conditions of probation has led a judge to relax those restrictions to give the man a better chance of success.

Patrick M. Bradley, 49, was convicted on two late April violations of the probation he received in early March. Though he was required to abstain from alcohol and street drugs under the terms of his probation, Bradley was observed sitting on a low stone wall at Princess and Clergy streets drinking from a whiskey bottle.

His lawyer said Bradley believes drinking alcohol is preferable to taking drugs and Justice Rommel Masse was convinced to vary his probation accordingly. His new probation permits him to drink, but requires that Bradley not consume or be under the influence of alcohol in public. Bradley was credited with 33 days of pretrial custody, sentenced to time served and placed on probation for 12 months.

WOMAN CHARGED WITH ASSAULT, PUBLIC NUDITY

A 40-year-old Kingston woman is facing charges after she repeatedly slugged a male companion before staging an impromptu striptease for police officers.

The highly intoxicated, naked woman was arrested Saturday just after 7 p.m. in the parking lot of a west end shopping plaza.

Police say the woman and a man walked past a parked police cruiser and officers saw the woman punch her male companion in the face several times.

When an officer tried to intervene, the woman became irate and inexplicably began tearing off her clothes until she was buck naked, despite the officer's entreaties for her to stop the stripping.

The unclothed woman yelled at the officer for good measure.

He finally convinced her to put her clothes back on and she was arrested.

She's charged with assault and public nudity. Police said the male victim was not seriously hurt.

The woman was one of 11 people charged over the weekend in Kingston with public intoxication.

For a minute there, I hoped thought I was in Australia.

Aloha,

Brad

A 40-year-old Camden-area man suffered nonlife threatening injuries after he was hit by a horse Wednesday evening.

Chatham-Kent police said the man was run over by the animal shortly after 6 p.m. on a Pavey Line property.

When police arrived, he was conscious and breathing.

He was treated at hospital and released, police said.

A 38-year-old City of Kawartha Lakes man face charges after a brief pursuit involving a golf cart east of Lindsay on Thursday.

An officer on patrol on Centreline Rd. tried to pull over the vehicle about 9:05 p.m. by turning on their lights and siren, but the cart driver didn't stop, City of Kawartha Lakes OPP stated.

The driver to Evergreen Bay Drive and entered an ATV trail, police said. The officer followed on foot and eventually arrested the cart driver a short distance away.

Robert Ladouceur was charged with flight from police, three counts of driving while disqualified, driving while under suspension and driving without insur- ance. He was to appear in Lindsay court on Friday.

Kingston woman has discovered that pot and pepper don't mix.

Margaret M. Halladay, 23, was convicted in Kingston's Ontario Court of Justice of being unlawfully in a dwelling. In April, she and two men entered the north-end home of a family uninvited.

Without warning, one of her companions sprayed the householders with pepper spray, despite a female occupant being pregnant.

Court was told that Halladay and her buddies had originally gone to the address to buy marijuana, but the judge was told there was a history of animosity between the man who lived there and Halladay's pepper spray-packing friend. Halladay was credited with 10 days of pretrial custody, sentenced to a further 10 days in jail and 18 months of probation after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone watch this shit? Mason, the killer, finally admitted it after 12 years that he killer his sister. His parents have stuck by him all this time believing him that he didn't do it.

He said that it was his plan to kill his parents, not his sister, but didn't get around to that and then 'accidentally' shot his sister in the head so shot her another four times because he reminded her of a wounded animal and wanted to put her out of her misery.

His parents still visit him and eat cake and stuff.

His cell is like a spoiled kids bed room. What a fucking joke!

Did anyone watch this shit? Mason, the killer, finally admitted it after 12 years that he killer his sister. His parents have stuck by him all this time believing him that he didn't do it.

He said that it was his plan to kill his parents, not his sister, but didn't get around to that and then 'accidentally' shot his sister in the head so shot her another four times because he reminded her of a wounded animal and wanted to put her out of her misery.

His parents still visit him and eat cake and stuff.

His cell is like a spoiled kids bed room. What a fucking joke!

I wish I had seen the show. I'll have to find myself a copy. This story reminds me of a book I recently read entitled "We Need to Talk About Kevin," a novel about a mother whose son kills a number of his fellow high school students. The bond between parent and child is strong, and complex. The book is powerful and intense.

Peace, Mark

The guys dad worked for my father for years eventually getting his son a part time job at our family business. One summer night, coincidentally the first night I ever drank, my dad was awoken by a phone call from the police. My sister had gotten busted out at erieau for under age drinking and my dad and mom had to get up and go and pick her up. As he finally got home and back in bed, he was rudely awoken again by the sound of his diesel pick-up truck being started in the drive-way. My dad busted open my sisters door thinking it was her that had taken the truck but she was sound asleep (drunk...) he called the police and hopped into my moms car in chase. The son got into a high speed chase with the police which ended up with him smashing and ramming into various police cars causing excessive damage. Someone in my ensemble accidently dropped what was left of a 40 ounce glass bottle of vodka in the local McDonalds which ended up in me fleeing the scene.

Only one bottle and a few automobiles were damaged in this story.

Go Chatham!

• 1 month later...

i knew that raccoon was giving me the stink-eye!!!

Direct raccoon calls to OSPCA

Local News

By Daily News Staff

Posted 6 hours ago

Recently, Chatham-Kent police has received several calls from citizens about raccoons. These calls are generally complaints of raccoons in trees, backyards, sitting near the roadway and "looking at people," police said.

In consultation with the local branch of the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, police recommend that raccoon concerns be directed to the OSPCA at 519-354-1713. They specialize in adoptions, canine control, cruelty investigations, lost and found, and have 24-hour emergency service.

Seriously! The raccoons around here are crazy.

Here's proof:

Animal behaviour suggests disease outbreak

Local News

Posted 3 hours ago

BOB BOUGHNER

The Daily News

There is growing concern of a possible outbreak of distemper in the raccoon population in southwestern Ontario.

Holly Simpson of Chatham, a biologist with the Ministry of Natural Resources, said Thursday some raccoons in the wild are exhibiting abnormal behaviour, which is consistent with distemper or rabies.

"It's entirely possible,'' she said.

Simpson said she's received a large number of calls from the public expressing concern about raccoons.

Simpson said people should take precautions to keep their pets shielded from wild raccoons.

"We have sent a couple of raccoon carcasses from Harwich to the University of Guelph for analysis but so far haven't heard word,'' she said.

Simpson said several callers have suggested raccoons in the wild don't appear to be healthy and are displaying unusual actions.

Paul Praill of Chatham, a hunter and trapper, said there appears to be a large number of dead raccoons along the roadways.

I've yet to witness any staring at me, but kev o'b's fb status the other day made me think he ran one over!

• 3 weeks later...

A man convicted in Kingston's Ontario Court of Justice of two break-ins will spend the next 45 weekends in jail.

Court heard that Kevin P. Snyder, 29, broke into a vacant main floor apartment on Johnson Street around 6:30 a.m. in May, and his banging around woke up the tenants in the apartment above. When confronted, he claimed he was there to deliver a parcel, but then couldn't remember the delivery address.

Fifteen minutes later, he entered an unlocked apartment in a building farther along the street and the tenant, who had stepped out briefly, found Snyder standing in his living room when he returned.

Snyder told the man he was the landlord and had come there to look at the apartment. He then left, but the man noted that Snyder was looking in the windows of his parked motor vehicle as he departed.

In response to calls about the intruder police arrived but when they attempted to question him, Snyder told them he was Russell Crowe, the actor, and requested they call the American lawyer Johnny Cochran for him, apparently unaware Cochran died in 2005.

Justice Rommel Masse was told Snyder had been drinking.

He sentenced the man to 90 days of intermittent jail and 12 months of probation.

• 4 weeks later...

A late-night naked coffee run didn't turn out so well.

Provincial police were called early Tuesday after workers at a coffee shop drive-thru in Paris, Ont., reported a man was wearing no clothes when he picked up his brew.

Police say officers tracked down a minivan and determined the driver was likely impaired by drugs.

Michael Anthony Sousa, 22, of Cambridge, Ont., faces several charges including possession of cocaine and marijuana, impaired driving and breaching probation.

He was held in custody pending a bail hearing.