Jambands.ca

Jerry Garcia Biopic Denied Access to Grateful Dead Music

Esau.

The Jerry Garcia biopic that's currently in the works has hit a major roadblock, as Grateful Dead productions is blocking any use of the Dead's or Garcia's music for the film. They've also stated that director/producer Amir Bar-Lev will not be granted access to any of Garcia's family members.

"We want to make clear that neither Grateful Dead Productions nor the Jerry Garcia Family LLC are in any way working with -- or are in any other way affiliated with -- the supposed upcoming Amir Bar-Lev-directed biopic about Jerry Garcia," Grateful Dead Productions said in a released statement. "Furthermore, we will not be licensing any recordings from Grateful Dead or Jerry Garcia's music library for this production nor will we provide the producer/director with access to any Garcia family members."

The Garcia biopic, which is supposed to chronicle a young Garcia's pre-Dead life, recently confirmed that a script based upon Robert Greenfield's 'Dark Star: An Oral History of Jerry Garcia' has been written and Bar-Lev has signed on to direct. Obviously, without the use of any Grateful Dead music or access to those closest to them, the validity of this project is now in question.

What exactly happened? Book rights are usually sold well in advance for film adaptations, so if the film really was to be adapted from 'Dark Star,' money has most likely already been exchanged for this project. But music licensing can get tricky these days and it sounds as if an agreement couldn't be made over how much the studios would be willing to pay for access to the catalog -- either that, or the Grateful Dead Productions just aren't confident in lending out the Dead's rich source material.

Because of the pre-Dead timeframe of the story, it's still possible to pull the movie off. But it's rather hard to imagine a Jerry Garcia film without the familiar chorus of 'Uncle John's Band' -- that song just screams "montage sequence."

http://www.spinner.ca/2010/08/04/jerry-garcia-biopic-denied/

who needs GD songs?

depending how the movie plays out, if the film chronicles Garcia's pre-GD dayz, the film can still survive minus the GD hits.

Just have actor-Jerry pick away on traditional bluegrass ditties with the Sleepy Hollow Hog Stompers and then show the transition into the Warlocks era 60s rock/psych/blues cover tunes. And if they go into the Acid Tests, I doubt the film will run into trouble with experimental freak-out jams.

Take a look at Gus Van Sant's "Last Days" that chronicled the dreary days leading to Kurt Cobain's suicide. As I recall, no Nirvana tunes were used, and the film still succeeded imo. There's a far-out dramatically intense scene where actor-Kurt strums on the guitar and sings his pain away...

Or that Jimi Hendrix biopic, "Hendrix" that just showcased actor-Jimi performing the cover songs (Hey Joe, Wild Thing, etc...). Jerry's movie can showcase his early days and conclude by fast forwarding to the 90s as the GD encore with

Not suprised by this at all. Having worled as a music supervisor on a few documentaries I can tell you licensing music is very tricky especuially if the music is at all popular.

Unless the people who have created the music are behind you and beleive in your project, you can pretty much forget licensing the music.

GDP has licensed very little music over the years. The only film (not including GDP produced videos) I can recall with GD related music was Zebraski point and that was in 1969 and moastly Jerry solo stuff anyways.

My take is they don't trust this project nor beleive in it.

The only film (not including GDP produced videos) I can recall with GD related music was Zebraski point and that was in 1969 and moastly Jerry solo stuff anyways.

Zabriske Point soundtrack has some great stuff on it.

The only movie I can think of off the top with GD music was Mask (with Cher). Uncle John's Band was in that.

Just did a search and it seems there are a couple of others too:

A Walk On The Moon - (Miramax Films) The film, released in April, 1999,

includes "Ripple" by the Grateful Dead. Jerry Garcia plays on "Today" with

Jefferson Airplane.

Runaway Bride (1999) This film, starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere,

includes several Grateful Dead references. During one wedding scene, the

band Juggling Suns (formerly Solar Circus) performs "Sugar Magnolia". The

trampoline has a "Steal Your Face" on it. The words "DEAD AHEAD" appear on

the bulldozer blade.

Around The Fire - (USA, 1998; 107 minutes, directed by John Jacobsen) The

soundtrack to this movie, released in February, 2000, includes the Grateful

Dead's "Brown Eyed Women", from the May 4, 1977 show.

The only movie I can think of off the top with GD music was Mask (with Cher). Uncle John's Band was in that.

I don't remember hearing Uncle John's, but I also don't remember the movie all that well. But if it was, then there were two songs. Although Ripple was the only one on the soundtrack.

Movies that include songs by the Dead or members of the Dead

Although not movies...

Ripple was also in the mini series Taken (soundtrack)

Because I just seen this episode recently, I know Ripple made an appearance in My Name Is Earl (song list)

Hunter: How about "Come drive Uncle John's Truck?"

Garcia: That's not quite it. It's a little too ...um, secular

Hunter: Ok, ok, how about ...(pregnant pause) "Come hear Uncle John's jazz records?"

Garcia: That's getting closer, but it's still not a big enough image for what I want this song to say ...

Hunter: Let's see: how about "Come hear Uncle John's Band?"

Garcia: Naah, that's going in the wrong direction ... maybe a little too ... how would you say... Bravissimo.

Hunter: Probably. So you want something non-secular and big, but not too big, and you want it to rhyme with what?

Garcia: Cumquat.

Hunter: Any particular reason?

Garcia: It came to me in a dream.

Hunter: I won't argue with that, but look, if you'll spot me Uncle John's Band, I'll add Buck Dancer's choice & raise you a crow.

Garcia: I'll see that and raise you a silver mine. Spot me a violin and we can lose the cumquat.

Hunter: But what about your dream?

Garcia: A dream is just a place to stand while you're trying to find your feet.

Hunter: Mind if I use that?

Garcia: No, it might give people the wrong impression.

Hunter: Yeah, dammit, you're right.

Garcia: Never dick with the dream.

Hunter: You said a mouthful!

Runaway Bride (1999) This film, starring Julia

Roberts and Richard Gere,

includes several Grateful Dead references. During one wedding scene, the

band Juggling Suns (formerly Solar Circus) performs "Sugar Magnolia". The

trampoline has a "Steal Your Face" on it. The words "DEAD AHEAD" appear on

the bulldozer blade.

I remember seeing them with Days Of You at the Opera House (circa.1991?)