Jambands.ca

PHiSH = Nostalgia Act?

skelter

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YATS, I dunno, in my opinion they are nowhere near tight. I also refuse to throw Phish 2.0 under the bus like most do, because I believe there were some amazing shows/sets/journeys during that era that have yet to be matched in 3.0.

Just one dude's opinion.

I agree 2.0 had some epic moments, but as far as I'm concerned they were outweighed by the overall sloppiness and the "extreme lows" that popped up far too often. It all comes down to what sounds good to the individual though I guess....

From what I've listened to this year I would strongly disagree (with the nostalgia thing), I think they're kicking ass. On a personal outlook level it's hard to compare something that was once new and exciting to something you've gotten used to over a couple of decades. Plus, the ability to blow away the long-time Phish audience with something they haven't done before gets harder and harder as the years go by and so many things have been done before and others become cliche. I would assume newer fans feel the same way now that older fans did when it was fresh for them. If there was one show I could get to this summer it would be Phish.

I have to disagree totally.

for me the best years for Phish I saw live were 1995-1998.

I would say now they atre playing the best they have sionce those days hands down. The technical mastwery is awesoem and now that Trey is clean they are playing the most confident I have seen in years.

As a live band they are at the top of the heap by far these days.

I consider this the Phish renaissance.

Sorry, I dont think so. That is laughable |!!!

We just got back from 3 nights a the greek. They were on fire.

Trey introduced his new guitar made by Paul Languedoc, made by a piece of magic wood. He told us how very very excited he was to be playing the new guitar. It sounds so good. Trey played with precision and with fury at times. He is possessed for sure.

Of the 3 nights the second was probably my favorite. It was like "WOW" almost after every song. After seeing phish as many times as we have it is still hard to believe they do some of the shit they do.

We danced hard. Listen to the Cities from the second night, they were so dialed in. Mike was dropping bombs like he wanted to start a war. He actually dropped a Nuclear bomb on the first night. Hope it is on the recordings.

MVP of the weekend would be fishman, we watched him intently all weekend. I could not believe the beats he was laying down, many times leading the band. He was such a pleasure to watch.

Best live show touring today - easy !

Why is nostalgia immediately assumed to be a negative/less legitimate thing?

A band can't be more than couple albums old, or have produced some art that speaks to a specific moment in history without it one day becoming nostalgia.

Nostalgia = not bad, and a bit of a dumb word actually, there are no absolutes...peppered with nostlagia is more accurate...

I completely agree with Northern Wish. Ever since I have been going to shows people complain non stop about the band no matter what they do (remember the 45 minute tweezers everyone was wining about, too experimental). These guys are playing as well now as they ever have. The music changes as you change.

I find their fan base fucking hilarious. People love to criticize and yet still come to the shows time and time again...?

And what the fuck is wrong with nostalgia anyways? It's a great feeling....

FB

I find their fan base fucking hilarious. People love to criticize and yet still come to the shows time and time again...?

I always loved Phish as a sport. I don't give standing ovations at Raptors games when they (often) lay a turd.

So yes, I will go to as many shows as I fucking like, and I will have a great time at almost every single one of them. That doesn't mean I can't engage in rational discussion about the caliber of music I am hearing.

A lot has been said above about consistency. I absolutely agree that Phish is as consistent as they maybe have ever been. That means you can't expect something special for Jerry Day, shows in exclusive venues and on and on. You can't expect shows that are transcendental, but you can look to "moments" or parts of a set.

It's all good. I go again and again with a glimmer of hope. Nothing will stop me.