Jambands.ca

Swell Season.

FunkyBeats

After careful consideration I have to say that even through my jamband/progressive rock influences, as a musician, my favourite show at the Ottawa Bluesfest was The Swell Season. I bailed on Rush against my instincts to see this show and I absolutely loved it. What great musicians, brilliant show!

I'm listening to their stuff right now and I am awed at the beauty...

FB

out of ALL the shows at bluesfest, the Swell Season was your favourite, or just that day? All I've heard about that show was the terrible timing for the show thanks to sound bleeding from the other stages. There were some amazing performances throughout bluesfest and the swell season day was 1 of 3 I didn't make it out for. If I had, I'm sure I would have been at their stage too.

If that's all you've seen of the Swell Season, I hope you take the opportunity to see them in a theatre.

Yup, catch them while you can. I caught them for the third time recently. At the Queen Elizabeth Theatre show in Toronto it was always a joy to watch them on stage and see their great songs performed in a relatively intimate setting. For me, after the three shows now, I am ready to see Glenn perform with his band The Frames and get away from the Swell Season stuff. I thought a lot of the `magic` between Glenn and Marketa has fizzled and just doesn`t resonate in the same way as before.

Do see the film Once as Jaimoe mentioned. Such a great movie and music. Nothing like that scene in the recording studio when they are recording and the band kicks in ... mmmmmgood.

Haha yes I have seen the film.

Friends mom knew they were coming to Bfest -> knew I was big music and film fan -> recommended and lent me Once -> I saw it loved it -> I bailed on Rush to see them...

Even with all the problems they were suffering from during their set, the sincerity and emotion resonated with me the most in the "wow" kind of way than any other act. I could only imagine the exponential awesomeness it must be to see them in their own right at a concert hall.

Members of the Frames normally perform in the Swell Season. They did at the Massey Hall and Danforth Music Hall shows I attended. Still, I'd love to be at a Frames club show.

I heard some brand new Swell Season the other night while sitting on a bar patio and fucking loved it. The magic has just evolved and matured a bit.

i wondered how youtube would play a part. that's haunting. that's also such a very clear picture of what we read. fack.

From what I read, Glen walked over to check on him. I can't help to think that other dudes would run away. I would want Glen around for any emergency.