Jambands.ca

Pink Floyd: Live at Pompei now out on DVD

John Stamos

To all the Floyd fans,

Live at Pompei - The Director's Cut has FINALLY been released on DVD. YES, oh YES !!!!

It gives you the option of watching the original version in full OR the new directors version in full, as well as a slew of interview and miscellaneous stuff.

I was going to order it thru amazon ($20.99), but

I went into my local musicworld and they were selling it for $17.99 ... can't beat that for such an incredible movie.

Enjoy. Stamos.

Guest Low Roller

Is this DVD worth getting? Are there any other Pink Floyd DVDs available? It dawned on me that my DVD collection is missing a good Floyd show....

First, I read:

"Keller sounds like Dave Matthews on speed"

Later, I read:

"Is this DVD worth getting?"

Ladies and gents, meet the star of Fox's new reality show,

The Newbie

[Wink]

(Dont get me wrong, I love a good ole newbie. I loooove seeing young minds influenced with that sponge of a brain, wanting to take it all in.)

I thought the original uncut film was on there too. That would have made everyone happy. I didn't check it against my VHS to see if it was the same. Just assumed it was. Anyway, the original is way better. I have to agree with Hux that the new sequences are cheesy.

This video is one of the best, up there with the Zep and Jimi, especially the "Echos". It's so cool to see Gilmour's fantastic, smooth touch up close. Love those Floydian harmonies too, "Overhead the albatross ...".

Steve

yep, extra comuter graphics = bad

extra in-studio, etc footage = good

other bonus features:

pictures of bootlegs - waste

old pompeii covers - waste

interview with producer - good

lyrics - waste

photo gallery - waste

i think they should have just released the old version on dvd and had the interview as bonus.

Guest Low Roller

I'll restate my original question using mono-syllabic words for Booche's convenience:

If I was to buy one DVD by Pink Floyd, is this one the one?

...picked this one up the other day...

I have to say I'm not overly impressed with the new "directors cut", it's pretty much the same film, but with parts cut out, and new computer generated stuff thrown in, ie. the eruption and all this stuff...but I find the computer stuff they added really doesn't jive with the grainy looking original footage...I watched the "concert/original film" that's on there too, and it still had some of the computer stuff added...

So....while it's nice to see this classic remastered and pretty looking, I was a little dissapointed that they fucked with the original...my sense is that Floyd purists may not be too happy with this re-release...

The extra inteview footage (mostly in b&w) is cool though....the part where Waters and Gilmour are digging into a pile of raw oysters is a great laugh!!!! (I love oysters too!)

It's definately worth having if you dig pre DSOTM jams! Also, seeing Waters fiddle and compose electronic/techno sounds is visual evidence of the origins of modern rock experimenting with electronic music!!

But the Director's cut with the new special effects is insulting, and definately not up to Floyd standards. Almost embarrasing [Confused]

Now what we need is a Floyd dvd, a la the recent Zep dvd, that comprises random live performances and interviews! [big Grin]

"I'd like to think that Oysters transcend national borders" [Wink]

Archived