Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 10/11

MrBigTime

Guest Low Roller

If you look closely he's wearing his left skate on his right foot, and his right skate on his left foot because he's a fucking tool.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all that this incident has stirred (and re-stirred) regarding player safety and how the league is run how come the only thing that the NHLPA has had to say is this hollow little statement;

“Player safety has always been, and continues to be, a great concern to the Players’ Association. In that regard, issues involving the boards and glass in NHL arenas have been a longstanding focus for the players. The serious nature of the injury suffered by Max Pacioretty in Montreal this week reinforces the importance of maximizing the safety in this area and highlights the need to look further into the matter. We will be inspecting the rink in Montreal, and elsewhere, to make sure the appropriate padding is in place. We will continue to gather feedback from the membership, to ensure the safest possible work environment for our players.â€

So, issues involving boards and glass have been a longstanding focus for the players? I guess it's so longstanding that they will just now "inspect" the rinks? Keep gathering feedback from players?

Shit, sounds like most players haven't spoken up at all about this issue during the "longstanding focus" and only a few have made any sort of public commentary to lambaste any sort of concern for lack of safety regarding this situation.

Looks like you've got a league, owners, and players who simply spin their wheels and take little to no true action.

The only QUICK action the league ever seems to have taken in recent years was instituting the "Avery Rule" almost instantaneously (like THAT was really the crime of the century). That had NOTHING to do with player safety.

As for Air Canada "threatening" to withdraw their sponsorship, pfaw. Get some balls and do what Tiger Wood's sponsors did ... JUST LEAVE! That is what will make a mark.

Just like with no-touch icing, incidents like this will never be fully dealt with until we see a death on the ice. The Chara/Pacioretty has got to be the closest we've come to that (aside from maybe Malarchuk's throat being slashed open) and still nothing happens.

NHL says they are curtailing hits to the head by penalizing players. Too often there is a judgment call as to the "intent" of the head contact. Why? Cut it out completely. Aha! But then they'd have to outlaw fighting ... and we KNOW the NHL will never do that as long as they are grasping for those US TV viewers and $$$.

Five more years of Bettman? Shit's not going to smell any better. Blame Bettman for plenty of things? Sure. But also blame those GMs who continue to renew his contract.

Guest Low Roller

Loving the Sequential Numbering line right now.

Fun Fact: 13, 14, 15 is the lowest possible sequence of three consecutive numbers for the Habs because of all the retired numbers.

Guest Low Roller

Most shutouts in a season by a Habs goalie since Dryden in 76-77 with 10. Beat out these guys with 7:

- Huet in 05-06

- Theodore in 01-02

- Roy in 93-94

go-habs-go.jpg

go-habs-go-1.jpg

The dinosaur also weighed in tonight on Cockbreath's Corner and it really was inappropriate of Cherry not know his name in this incident. Isnt that schtick a little overcooked?

Don Cherry has a solution to help prevent, or at least minimize, the potential for serious injury on the side boards in National Hockey League rinks: redesign the stanchion at the players' benches.

During his Coach's Corner segment Saturday, the Hockey Night in Canada personality suggested Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty wouldn't have suffered a serious concussion and broken vertebra earlier this week if the stanchion between the benches at Montreal's Bell Centre was slanted and not in its current upright position.

On Tuesday night, Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara slammed Pacioretty into the metal support holding up the glass at the end of the visitors bench, knocking him out as he fell to the ice, and was assessed a five-minute major penalty for interference and a game misconduct.

"If the [stanchion] is on a slant, the kid [Pacioretty] has a headache today. If you [make that change] it would be good," said Cherry, as he held a drawing of a reshaped stanchion.

For years, there have been incidents of players hitting the stanchion, Cherry added.

Cherry agreed with the decision by Mike Murphy, the assistant to NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell, not to suspend Chara for the hit.

"Here's a guy, six-foot-nine, 260 pounds. For thirteen years he's never been suspended, he's never tried to hurt guys. If he tried to hurt guys, he'd kill 'em at that size," said Cherry.

For those wondering why the league wouldn't banish Chara for three or four games, Cherry had an explantion.

"It's either you give him 20 games or you give him none. It can't be a little," he said. "He was just taking [Pacioretty out of the play].

Good on NHL

"The league did it right this time."

In an open letter to fans Thursday, Canadiens owner Geoff Molson said the NHL was wrong for not punishing Chara and the issue of player safety was at a point of urgency.

On the topic of player safety, Cherry said Molson would be wise to apply thicker padding to the stanchions at the Bell Centre like the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.

"Here's what I want you to do, Geoff," began a perturbed Cherry. "I want you to … call all your players together in the dressing room and you say: 'I want you to answer this honestly and don't be afraid. How do you feel about playing 41 [home] games with that seamless glass and the boards in Montreal?'

"Worst in the league for injuries. Ask them that, instead of going in the paper and saying you want to do this and want to do that [and that Chara] should have been suspended."

While the Bell Centre ranked second to Edmonton's Rexall Place for best ice surface in the NHL in a recent HNIC/NHL Players' Association poll, it rated second only to Joe Louis Arena in Detroit for having the worst boards and glass.

The traditional glass system, like that in Montreal, Calgary, Minnesota, Nashville, Colorado and Phoenix, provides no energy absorption. That said, the arenas in each of these cities will have their end zone boards and glass retro-fitted to acrylic glass in the off-season, sources told Darren Dreger of tsn.ca recently.

The reason for the change reportedly is due to the above normal injury rates at the aforementioned venues.

I am starting a new organization: PFMHH, People For More Headshots in Hockey. I reckon concussions are God's way of saying you don't have what it takes to make it in the NHL. My organization won't be satisfied until the weak are weeded out and all that's left are the tough guys who are wearing enough equipment to look like Robocop.

I also think I am still drunk.

Guest Low Roller

GMs, BTW, overwhelmingly viewed Chara-Pacioretty as "hockey play" I'm told vote was 24-6 on it as a play that didn't require discipline.

Guest Low Roller

It's hard to be the only guy who provides the poorly thought out infuriating posts all the time. I am experiencing whipping-boy burnout.

Guest Low Roller

With so many injuries and trades this year, the Habs had to shoot a second team photo today because the one they shot earlier in the year was out of date. lol.

They plan on Photoshopping Pacioretty and Gauthier into the picture.