Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum 10/11

hamilton

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

almost faced us... conference final'd.

Should have faced each other in the final ... that was bullshit :P

I still remember getting into a private box at the Palace of Auburn Hills to watch the final period of the game when the Habs won it. Jerry and the boys broke into Liberty for an encore as the Cup was hoisted :D The people in the lot were happy to find out that the Habs had won and that those fucking Kings lost ;)

almost faced us... conference final'd.

Should have faced each other in the final ... that was bullshit :P

I still remember getting into a private box at the Palace of Auburn Hills to watch the final period of the game when the Habs won it. Jerry and the boys broke into Liberty for an encore as the Cup was hoisted :D The people in the lot were happy to find out that the Habs had won and that those fucking Kings lost ;)

I remember that show! I always enjoyed seeing the Dead at the Palace. The lot scene there was always fun.

Guest Low Roller

It's (un)official -- Leafs are the NHL's best

BY MARK SUTCLIFFE, THE OTTAWA CITIZEN OCTOBER 17, 2010

Commissioner Gary Bettman has strongly denied reports that the National Hockey League will cancel the rest of its regular season and the playoffs and declare the Toronto Maple Leafs the Stanley Cup champions.

"That is absolutely untrue," Bettman said.

"I can't believe anyone would suggest something so ridiculous.

"Look," Bettman continued, "there's no question the Leafs are going to win the Cup. I mean, they're 4-0. Four games are more than enough to prove that the team is absolutely unbeatable. But we have to play the games. For one thing, I promised the new owners of the Coyotes that I would take them to a game in Toronto."

Despite headlines in Toronto newspapers proclaiming the unquestionable brilliance of the Maple Leafs, unbiased television analysts for the national sports networks agreed with Bettman's decision.

"Our statisticians have determined that 4.8 per cent of the season is more than sufficient to project the eventual Stanley Cup winner," one TSN host said. "But we still need to find out who finishes a distant second."

A counterpart at Rogers Sportsnet said it was "impossible to start the year with four consecutive wins without being the greatest team in the history of the game, but there's still the draft lottery to sort out."

However, with the results of the entire season now a foregone conclusion, there's a risk that the sheer perfection of the Leafs will make games boring and predictable. However, Bettman said he was confident that fans would be interested in seeing how the Leafs won each game.

"They waited until overtime to win on Friday night," Bettman pointed out. "So, even though the outcome is always certain, there's some variety to how they do it."

Hockey Night in Canada executive producer Trevor Pilling said there was also some excitement about the prospect of watching a team complete a season undefeated.

"Even though we already know the outcome of every game the Leafs will play this year, it's still exciting to see a team go 82-0," Pilling said. "And, since we know all hockey fans, even those who cheer for other teams, are really Leafs fans, it's good for everyone."

Sports talk shows in Toronto have dealt with no shortage of controversy and debate despite the undisputable flawlessness of the team.

"We've had a lot of calls from people arguing over how soon Clarke MacArthur will break Wayne Gretzky's goal-scoring record," Fan 590 co-host Gord Stellick said. "Some people think he'll finish with 100 goals; some say he'll pick up the pace and it will be 110."

Other callers expressed concern that this year's all-star game would be a joke since the league requires representation from the other 29 teams, who are clearly not in the same class as the Leafs.

"Why not just have a Leafs intra-squad game instead?" a caller from Etobicoke, Ont., said.

Even Parliament Hill was abuzz last week with the unrivalled excellence of the Leafs. Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who reportedly was concerned when some of his Quebec MPs posed for a photograph wearing Quebec Nordiques jerseys, wore a Phil Kessel sweater to a news conference Thursday.

"There's just something about seeing the Maple Leaf in the colour blue," Harper said cryptically.

Despite the formality of having to play another 78 regular-season games and four rounds of the playoffs, Toronto officials began planning the parade route this week for the inevitable Stanley Cup champions.

It's expected the parade will travel down Brian Burke Avenue (previously known as Yonge Street) and conclude at the Hockey Hall of Fame in downtown Toronto, where Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf will be inducted into the shrine.

"Technically, we're supposed to wait until a player has been retired for three years," Hall of Fame selection committee member Lanny McDonald said. "But this is Dion Phaneuf we're talking about.

"I mean, it was only last year that Sports Illustrated published a poll of players that showed he was considered the most over-rated player in the league. Now I think we can safely say he is the greatest leader in the history of the game."

While sports journalists from Toronto nodded in silence, a television news reporter with an obvious lack of knowledge about hockey pressed McDonald for an explanation, prompting an incredulous response.

"Do you know any other players who never, ever lost even a single game as team captain?" McDonald asked. "Do you? I didn't think so."

Missed the game, but glad to see a win.

Watched the recaps and that second Leaf goal was for sure on a blown call. Totally should have had goaltender interference. Oh well, you know it will go the other way in the next few games :(

Kessel ... 7 of the 23 goals for the Leafs this season so far!!

Up against Boston next.