Jambands.ca

Fantasy Hockey '11 - Game On!

Hal Johnson

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hal - are you messing with the scoring format? Not sure I like what I see right now.

Sure am. But before you write it off, figure this:

I've added "hits" and "blocked shots" to the scoring categories to add depth. This way, when all the Crosby's and Datsyuk's of the world are drafted, a little more thought can be put into who you pick to fill out your roster.

I may have also messed with the goalies only slightly, just so the best goalies are ranked up there with the best players...again, it makes it so you have to use some judgement when drafting...not just go for goals and assists.

Reason for this: yr one there was a huge emphasis on goalies, and it was almost too much

Yr two: not much of an emphasis on goalies, and scoring goals and piling up assists were all that seemed to matter

Yr 3 (this yr): The most perfectly weighted fantasy scoring system ever...;)

Basically what I'm trying to do is make it so whoever drafts low still has a chance to compete by utilising the added scoring options. Should make it more fun.

Edited by Guest

Again, I ask that you just trust me on this stuff.

Yr two: not much of an emphasis on goalies, and scoring goals and piling up assists were all that seemed to matter

You couldn't be more wrong about this point. 12 of the top 35 players in 2009/10 were goalies. Perfect mix achieved.

There's no way that shutouts should be worth double what wins are worth.

Hits and blocked shots are fine for head-to-head and rotisserie leagues, disaster for points leagues. This is all imo of course, but based on years of experience in every kind of pool format you can imagine.

Basically what I'm trying to do is make it so whoever drafts low still has a chance to compete by utilising the added scoring options.

The problem isnt drafting low. The problem is said draftee. I love getting a low draft position and getting 2 picks either back to back or almost back to back.

I'm with DaveO. Bunch of fucking noobs in here.

No offence but drop the 'hits' and 'blocked shots'. That's just fucking ridiculous as far as I am concerned.

I still love you.

Then why do you hurt me so much??

You guys (not just Booche) are no fun. How on earth can blocked shots and hits be disasterous? And shut-outs are awesome and hard to come by, therefore they should be worth more. I don't know, guess Im alone on this one, but I find stuff like this makes it more fun.

3 people against the scoring changes. Do I have any FOR the changes?

Basically what I'm trying to do is make it so whoever drafts low still has a chance to compete by utilising the added scoring options.

The problem isnt drafting low. The problem is said draftee. I love getting a low draft position and getting 2 picks either back to back or almost back to back.

I'm with DaveO. Bunch of fucking noobs in here.

Dude, I've been doing these things for years too. Maybe not as long as grampa Booche and grampy Dave-O, but long enough. It makes it harder to choose when you have to consider more stats - does that get scary with old age?

I still love you too.

Edited by Guest

I personally believe we play by whatever rules or settings the league creator dictates. The only problem I have is when rules are changed after the draft. It's our own fault if we don't peruse the league points system before the draft.

I get what you are trying to do but I don't want to see someone who gets a ton of hits get as many points as a top point producer.

As for drafting it's a crap shoot and really does come down to some skill from the owner and a lot of luck. I was in a 20 team league last year and had 20th pick. I ended up 2nd over all and in the money.

You won't please everyone but thank you for setting up this league... it was fun last year.

Well, looking at the scoring I have in place now, there's no way someone with a lot of hits will beat someone who scores. A hit is only worth 1/10th of a goal. You can look at the standings by clicking on 2009-2010 - it will show the way they would have looked under the current scoring system (for anyone who didn't know).

What I find interesting, is that someone like Stephane Robidas ends up getting roughly the same score as Jonathan Teows. Most will say this is ridiculous, but really, how so? A defensemen who stops a billion shots and lays out a billion guys is arguably just as useful to a team as a Centre who puts up better than average numbers. No one here can tell me its not because I know how much everyone here follows sports. Theres a value to blocking shots and laying guys out. Not as much as getting points, but for some guys it is. Elementary really, don't know how anyone can argue with it. :)

What I find interesting, is that someone like Stephane Robidas ends up getting roughly the same score as Jonathan Teows. Most will say this is ridiculous, but really, how so?

Which GM in the league would take Robidas over Toews? Those two names dont belong in the same sentence which is why your proposal is fucking retarded.

You could get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldnt you rather take the butcher's word for it?

Robidas would be an outlier in this case. He's 269 hits and 177 blocked shots. Put that with 19 pp points and 199 SOG, 41 points - he's in a complete league of his own. Apparently, he's fucking awesome. Billy Beane'd.

He's actually a perfect example of why the stats should be there. With these stats in place he's in the top 10 for D, but only owned in 81% of the leagues. In real life they would definitely value his hits and blocked shots and he would be highly sought after. Without these stats, he's just a d-man who gets 40 points and an average amount of penalty minutes.

Anyway, I've got to sign off for a bit, Im interested to hear what others think though... Booche and Dave-o, I do appreciate your comments, and I'll leave it up to the rest of the league to decide. Also, we should figure out how trades will work this year, even though arguing about them was fun last year.

Edited by Guest

If Robidas getting the same number of points as Toews doesn't equal disaster, I don't know what does.

You're not the first to try to make fantasy hockey look like real life hockey ("but Robidas is just as valuable to his team"). Always ends the same way.