Jambands.ca

Fantasy Hockey '11 - Game On!

Hal Johnson

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be up for mixing it up a little in terms of a league tweak. That being said, based on last year's results, I can use all the help I can get.

One argument for Hal's idea is that it takes a little thought when drafting or making free agent picks for guys like this (Robidas). Its obvious that you want Crosby or OV or any top ten scorer for that matter. I don't think most managers will change their approach to drafting.

Being a basement dweller last year, I would have loved to be able to sneak a little "depth" onto my team by being creative. These types of stats can let a manager be more creative instead of just sorting available players based on points only.

Whatever, I just wanna play, man.

Thank you SG and C-Towns.

To settle the controversy, I'm gonna drop the blocked shots stat, but keep the hits stat. I already changed the goalie stats back to normal a few days ago. This way, everyone's fun is ruined just slightly.

Oh, and i just realized something else...

wait for it...

wait for it...

a little longer...

Yahoo now offers auction drafts! For those that don't know what it is, you basically nominate a player to be bid on. Every team then bids and highest bid gets the player (there is a salary cap). But relax, we couldn't possibly do it, b/c it would require everyone in the league to be there for the on-line draft. Oh well.

If by "trying to make it fun" you mean "making it stupid and a joke" then I agree.

I wouldnt want to see a 'Tackles' category with my fantasy football.

Right, because "tackles" are a meaningless part of football and no one keeps track of such a uselss individual stat anyway.

In my opinion, scoring only for goals, assists and sometimes PP points (which is I guess the standard, and what everyone here seems to want) is like "fantasy shinney hockey," and to me makes it "stupid and a joke."

Differnet strokes, I guess.

Edit to add: So far I've laid out an argument for the extra categories; they give an opportunity for a player's true value to be exposed, and therefore make it slightly harder to pick your players. Y'know, adds a challenge to the game.

To everyone against said rule changes, we have the argument that the extra categories will only "end in disaster," and that they are "stupid". Nothing else. I need something else though.

:nhl:

Oh, aaaaaaannnnnnd, apparently the growth of fantasy sports has been feuled by the addition of non-traditional stats. But apparently Im the one trying to make it dumb:

Bill James is regarded as the founder of SABRmetrics, a refined system of baseball statistics designed by the Society for American Baseball Research. These new statistics, which were designed to be a more accurate rating of a player's performance than the traditional statistics of RBI, Batting Average, and ERA, were embraced by fantasy players which helped to further fuel growth of the game.

Among the first high-profile experts were John Benson, Alex Patton and Ron Shandler. Patton released books of player values ans stats in 1989. In November of 1986, Ron Shandler published Baseball SuperSTATS. While initially a book of sabermetric analysis, it became used as a fantasy guide. John Benson started a book and 900 number baseball analysis service in the late 1980s.

link: http://jag.lcc.gatech.edu/blog/2009/01/history-of-fantasy-sports-and-its-adoption-by-sports-journalists.html

Edited by Guest
I know I'm right.

Right, because "tackles" are a meaningless part of football and no one keeps track of such a uselss individual stat anyway.

Not for fantasty purposes you assmunch.

And someone should point out to you that baseball is the most individualistic of 'team' sports so of course they are going to delve and go deeper. I also think it has gone waaaaaay overboard and yes, they are fucking dumb.