Jambands.ca

Netflix Picks

bouche

If you've not already setup Netflix with a free month account, you should at least give it a go. There's enough content to get a free months worth of stuff you may not have even noticed before or things you just wanted to rewatch out of nostalgic purposes.

Post things you've found here and share good finds. The interface on the PS3 seems to hide things that I might want to see. Same with the website. They try to be "intelligent" about what I should see but it misses many choices.

A couple of movies and documentaries that I've seen recently worth sharing are:

Joe Rogan: Live - really f'n hilarious.

Say Anything - never saw this before. Great movie with a ton of actors in their young years (eric stoltz!)

Red Dwarf - fantasticly retarded british comedy with total geek humour and ripping off sit-coms like the odd couple.

JCVD - haven't seen this yet. but it's jean-claude van damme playing himself. seems interesting.

anyone else have some finds worth sharing?

So far I've watched Waiting... which was funny. a Zach Galifianakis stand-up which had it's moments. Mostly I've been checking out the horror movies, and I've watched a quite a few of those (must be October or something). For those of you who like low budget horror I recommend Death of a Ghost Hunter (creepy little B movie), and Flight of the Living Dead (Snakes on a Plane meets Return of the Living Dead... AT LAST!)

Try "The Union" too if they have it.

Agreed. That's a good one, and it's available on netflix.

I haven't seen anything I would really recommend to be honest, the selection is fair, at best.

Aside from 'The Union' & 'Taxi Driver (2nd best movie ever made btw) all I've watched is Mad Men & Rescue Me - picking up all the episodes I've missed.

Doubt I'll keep it going after the free month ends, not unless the really amp up their selections.

• 3 months later...

Don't watch "The Human Centipede",...disturbing. And I don't get easily disturbed. It's just weird. A few days after watching it, I still had flashes of the movie in my head.

Watched The Aristocrats, which I never saw, right after The Human Centipede...and I kept thinking that one of the comedians should just have used the storyline for Human Centipede for the act.

Don't watch Last Days by Gus Van Sant, about a musician's last few days before dying. The musician is very much like Kurt Cobain, but it's not a factual movie. Anyway, it sucked.

Mother, a Korean movie, is very good. Watch it.

Don't watch the Human Centipede...I merely stumbled across a review - so I hadn't even watched it - and it still took days to shake the imagery out of my head.

I saw an interesting movie last night on one of the movie channels - "Elephant", it's called. It's about a shooting at a highschool, and I have to figure it was based on the Comlumbine massacre, but it is purely fictional...if that makes any sense.

I also watched "the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," which I enjoyed and recommend, and the follow up, "the Girl with the (something else?)" which I didn't enjoy as much.

And finally, I watched "Big Fan" for the second time. Stars Patton Oswalt and has become one of my favorite sports movies of all time, its that good!

I recommend any of these (except for the centipede)if you haven't seen them!

You're totally right Bouche about the selections they display. The X-Box and Wii interfaces are quite different from each, and neither of them offer a 'music & musicals' category that the website has.

Ruby Gloom is a good cartoon for kids. My daughter is 6 and loves it, but younger than that is not ideal.

Black Adder season 1 is great.

Addams Family season 1 is a lot of fun too.

Black Adder season 1 is great.

And it's by far the weakest season of one of the best British comedy series ever. I like some of the episodes though, but Season I isn't overly funny compared to the cunning genius of Season II, III and even IV (the last two feature Hugh Laurie).

The best thing I've seen on Netflix is King of Kongs, a documentary about two rivals competing for the world record Donkey Kong high score. Although the director takes a few liberties with the truth he's crafted a fascinating story about the nerdiest of all subcultures. The cast of real-life characters is deep and rich. I wish I'd never seen it so I could watch it again for the first time.

Human Centipede is a completely fucked up concept but I actually think the director pulled it off. If you're a fan of the horror film genre then I think you'd find a lot to like here. If not, yeah, you'll be really repulsed and start to question the universe. This movie would probably be a lot of fun to watch as a group.

Our free trial expires this week and I don't think we're going to extend it but only because we already get the HBO/Movie Network package which is already too much to watch everything we want. If we didn't have cable though, I'd be a subscriber in a flash. $7.99 a month is a steal.

The best thing I've seen on Netflix is King of Kongs, a documentary about two rivals competing for the world record Donkey Kong high score. Although the director takes a few liberties with the truth he's crafted a fascinating story about the nerdiest of all subcultures. The cast of real-life characters is deep and rich. I wish I'd never seen it so I could watch it again for the first time.

King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters is a fantastic doc, on par with similar toned Supersize Me. Any video game fan or anyone who grew up in the '80s must see this film. Hilarious and dramatic.

Also, the documentary about Scott Walker is worth watching. As a member of the Walker Brothers he had some pop success in England during the '60s. The band broke up, he had a short, forgotten solo career, took a bit of a hiatus, got back together with the band, broke up again and then things start to get really weird.

Revered by the likes of David Bowie and Brian Eno, I was surprised I hadn't heard more about him before. A real musician's musician. Check it out.

Human Centipede is a completely fucked up concept but I actually think the director pulled it off. If you're a fan of the horror film genre then I think you'd find a lot to like here. If not, yeah, you'll be really repulsed and start to question the universe. This movie would probably be a lot of fun to watch as a group.

Our free trial expires this week and I don't think we're going to extend it but only because we already get the HBO/Movie Network package which is already too much to watch everything we want. If we didn't have cable though, I'd be a subscriber in a flash. $7.99 a month is a steal.

I liked Fistful of Quarters too. $7.99 is a great deal. Watch your bandwidth though. If you have a light bandwidth package, you'll get dinged if you watch alot of netflix. Ollie, watch the Vice guide to travel..especially the north korean episode.

king-of-kong.jpg

Wow, sorry to continue a hijack, but you have touched on a recent passion of mine. First of all, if you love retro gaming and the hey day of the arcades, you also need to see Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade.

(go to the player profiles at this link, good for a few chuckles)

A lot of the same characters from King of Kong.

To make a long story (that belongs in the video game forum) short, I am going to the Funspot Tournament in June to challenge for the 23 year old world record in 1943: The Battle of Midway.

Edited by Guest