Jambands.ca

Netflix Picks

bouche

• 1 year later...

Usually once or twice a year I reopen my netflix account for a month or two. I've never rated anything, nor have I liked or compiled a list of the things I like to watch. No real reason, I just never have. Today I fired it up to find something to watch later tonight and noticed the Netflix top suggestions for me didn't seem to make much sense. 

Because I watched: 1990 UK version of House Of Cards

Netflix recommends: Man Hunt: Boston Bombers

Because I watched: Family Guy

Netflix recommends: Stop At Nothing: Lance Armstrong Story

Because I watched: The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Netflix recommends: The Heat (Sandra Bullock/Melissa McCarthy)

These are just a couple of the more bizarre examples. For the life of me I can't figure out how they determine these recommendations.

I just finished watching the first two season of Homeland, great show. They only have two season though so I downloaded season 3 in order to keep going with it.

I have been a subscriber on Hulu Plus for a while (using unblock-us). It's a great cable replacement, you get almost everything you can watch on cable (and then some) just a day later.

Some of the shows I've been watching on that are:

Vikings

Life Below Zero

Ultimate Survival Alaska

The Wrong Man(s)

Live Free or Die

There's a new one that just started I plan on trying out called "The Last Man on Earth"

The Last Man on Earth started this past week and it was interesting.  The first episode was a double episode.  I won't spoil it for anyone but I thought episode 1 was really great and showed a ton of promise, and then all that was spoiled by episode 2.  Curious to hear what others think.

Guest Low Roller

Here are some strong movies that I watched on Netflix recently in case anyone is looking for recommendations:

- Grand Budapest Hotel

- Moonrise Kingdom

- Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

- Midnight in Paris

- The Kings of Summer

- Jodorowsky's Dune

and TV shows:
- The IT Crowd

- Undeclared

- Suits

- The Inbetweeners

Here are some strong movies that I watched on Netflix recently in case anyone is looking for recommendations:

- Grand Budapest Hotel

- Moonrise Kingdom

- Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

- Midnight in Paris

- The Kings of Summer

- Jodorowsky's Dune

and TV shows:

- The IT Crowd

- Undeclared

- Suits

- The Inbetweeners

Cool, I've seen a bunch of those, will check some of the others out.  I cant recommend the following enough:

TV:

House of Lies

The Fall

Sherlock  

Movies:

Touching the Void (doc) 

The Battered Bastards of Baseball (doc)

• 2 weeks later...

The Newsroom was well-intentioned but terrible, and nowhere close to the writing / themes / acting / cast etc of West Wing. West Wing is his best and arguably the best show to be put on TV, though Sorkin only wrote on it til the end of season 5(?). Sports Night is also at the top of his game.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if The Trip is on Netflix or not, but it is a very funny BBC series.

The Trip is a 2010 British television sitcom series directed by Michael Winterbottom, starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon as fictionalised versions of themselves on a restaurant tour of northern England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trip_(2010_TV_series)

Looking forward to finding the second series.

A second series, The Trip to Italy, followed in 2014.

• 11 months later...

Netflix is great if you travel.

I'm often in countries where English tv is not an option (other than CNN or BBC)

And every country I visit has a different Netflix selection.

There are some great Netflix Originals programs now too.

My latest addiction is Bloodline.  Not sure if it's available in Canada or not, but I'm half way through season 2 and enjoying it a lot.

Bloodline is an American Netflix original thrillerdrama television series[1][2] created by Todd A. KesslerGlenn Kessler, and Daniel Zelman, and produced by Sony Pictures Television.[3] The series premiered on February 9, 2015, in the Berlinale Special Galas section of the 65th Berlin International Film Festival,[1] and the 13-episode first season premiered in its entirety, on Netflix, on March 20, 2015.[3] On March 31, 2015, Bloodline was renewed for a 10-episode second season that debuted on May 27, 2016.[4][5]

The first season received positive reviews from many critics, with some naming Bloodline the best Netflix original series when it debuted and praising its performances (particularly for Ben Mendelsohn and Kyle Chandler) and cinematography.

Bloodline_TV_Series_Poster.jpg