Jambands.ca

Psychedelic Free-zone in Toronto.

Rary8

Hey folks,

I was wondering what some of you might think of the idea of having a dance party in T.O. Basically, a couple of good bands in a venue which isn't dependent upon alchol sales. Where licence liability would not be at risk by "turning a blind eye" to other indulgences.

Basically a rave-like atmosphere without a bar. And billed under an event name other than the bands invloved. Where interactive involvement such as art and set break drum circles and vending were welcome.

Any thoughts??

Well by "rave-like" atmosphere I am refering to private party or non bar. I am still meaning a jam band concert. I don't think that the ravey, club drug scene is what we want. But a "sustainable" party. Not dependant on a bar. With maybe a friendlier enviroment for "acid-test" experiences and dancing.

???

Frankly I don't think "tripping" would happen in any large amounts. This isn't the sixties and that kind of thing just isn't so readily available anymore.

But it would be a smoke 'em if you got em place. Not unlike the hotbox cafe.

But... a dance party. With a light show and possible interactive art. (whatever that might be).

quote:

As a non-drug user, I wouldn't go to this kind of show. I know that I'm in the minority on this website but the last thing I want to do is to surround myself with people tripping out at a concert.

okay...so why are you posting on a jamband message board? i'm sure you're surrounded by tripping people all the time.

why not bring friends that won't be tripping out so you have someone to chill with in a mad atmosphere.

I'm down for acid test experiments and fun hippy parties.

Ok. Let's take a step back from gandiose terms like acid test etc. All fancy ideas aside. What we may be talking about is basically a show with one or two bands playing in a place without or with very limited bar facilities. What people make of it is really up to them. As to drug/non drug crowd, it would just happen as it happens. But there would probally be a lax attitude to people lighting up. Anything else is really anyone's guess and probally no different than what happens at any other band's show. If a dozen folks showed up and really danced their asses off. That's about as psychoactive as it will probally get.

What I'm saying is that there is no official plans for some kinda "punch" or anything.

Seems to work for the rave DJ's. Can it work for the jamband scene? Would folks pay a modest door charge to cover venue and band and light crew expenses? (promoters would probally work for free on this one)

Crazy?

Archived