Jambands.ca

Phish will play this for Halloween..

The Chameleon

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to the whole thing last night- its fantastic. Sure the vocals suffer a bit from time to time- and Trey misses a few licks; but they were covering a live album well known for its studio trickery (Mercenary is actually from the soundcheck with crowd noise dubbed over top; Lowell overdubbed many of the guitar solos).

While it won't rank high in the Phish Halloween list for many as there was really no jamming at all, and they stayed true to an original that not everyone knew or loved- its really really impressive. I think it kicks the shit out of Exile and Dark Side; mimics the performances of the White Album and Quad pretty well as 'sticking to the original'- but lacks the creativity of reinventing a classic album as they did with Remain in Light and Loaded.

Simply because I love Little Feat so much, I'd put this third past RiL and Loaded.

I cannot possibly imagine what it must have been like to see that Fat Man, Spanish Moon or Tripe Face Boogie. Just fantastic!

And from Bob Lefsetz:

You see every Halloween Phish plays an entire classic album. And rumor was it was gonna be Zeppelin, so the Phearless Phoursome dropped some classic Zep into their set the night before, the 30th. But on the holiday, the album they covered was WAITING FOR COLUMBUS!

HUH?

I bet most of you have never heard of this double live album, when two vinyl discs didn't even add up to the length of one CD.

What do you do when you don't break through? RECORD YOUR GREATEST HITS!

Well, Little Feat only had one. But they had all that great music in their catalog that so many people had never heard. And they were big in England. And if you think "Waiting For Columbus" took hold in America, you're rewriting history. Sure, dedicated music fans now knew who the band was, but still most people knew no tracks. Although as years passed, "Dixie Chicken" became a standard. That's what perseverance will do for you. Concentrate on cutting something great, not what people want, and you might end up with a cut that lasts, one that truly strikes a chord.

Still, it's not like Little Feat is the Doors, there's been no mass renaissance. So it's utterly AMAZING that Phish played this live album in its entirety Sunday night.

But it's even better than that. They even employed a horn section, just like the original band, featuring Michael Leonhart of Steely Dan's band. This was no casual effort, this was a tribute to their forgotten heroes, this was musicians who had to get it RIGHT!

And you'd feel more comfortable if Phish Phucked up. But they nailed "Waiting For Columbus" so well it makes you TINGLE! Not only do they get the notes right, they duplicate the ENERGY! Actually, having to cover up for the lack of soul, no one can duplicate Lowell George's soul, they play with such intensity, such drive, that it's an aural tsunami that gathers you up and pulls you into the flow.

SPANISH MOON

"There was hookers and hustlers, filled up the room"

That's the audience. Not fat cat bankers who buy up all the good seats, talk and leave early. But fans, who need to be there, even if there's no mainstream buzz, even if no one other than those in attendance care. The music isn't made for those who don't care, but those WHO DO!

Forget everybody who doesn't care. Did you read endless reams of hype on these Phish shows? No, YOU HAD TO KNOW! That's the modern music business. If you think it's about hype, you're probably selling your album below cost on Amazon in order to get a good SoundScan number. Huh? WHO PAYS ATTENTION TO SOUNDSCAN!

Anybody can be famous for a day on YouTube. But can you live in the hearts and minds of your FANS? That's all you should care about.

I don't care whether you download the original or Phish's rendition of "Waiting For Columbus", but just know that when you're ready there's a treasure trove of juicy greatness ready to satiate your aural taste buds. That's the modern music world. It's not about hits, it's about LAND MINES! Just ready to explode and change your life when you least expect it!

Great music is supposed to infect you, make you unable to walk away, never mind turn it off. It doesn't compete with movies or television. The only thing that can equate with great tunes is sex.

So, put on your best look and go down to the show. There you'll find like-minded people who may not look like the stars on TMZ, who might not have a six-pack, but they know the power of music. Join the band!

"Hey lordy, join the band, be a good rascal and join the band"

Dating myself here, but for my 15th birthday I received some money from relatives which I used to buy two of the greatest double live albums ever released.

"Love you Live" by the Stones and

of course "Waiting For Columbus".

I think it was an excellent choice by Phish to cover Little Feat. I've listed to their performance a few times now and I think it's awesome.

Jealous of those who attended!