Jambands.ca

Bluesfest takes over Folkfest- Ottawa News!

Northern Wish

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Even though it deals with neither of the Folk or Blues Fests, this article has some interesting and informative numbers about the TD Ottawa International Jazz Fest.

At the Festival's annual general meeting of members on Monday night, treasurer John Jackson explained that the Festival had expected a small deficit from special programming for its 30th anniversary (he pointed out that the 25th and 20th festivals had also run deficits). But the loss of federal Marquee funding, accounting requirements that some 2009 costs be included in the 2010 figures, and reduced ticket sales all contributed to a higher-than-expected deficit of $86,736.

However, this amount is more than covered by the festival's 2009 surplus of $159,352. In three of the last five years, the festival ran a surplus.

Box office revenues reached $604,878 in 2010 (only exceeded by $760,745 in 2005). However, artist expenses increased by $175,176 (almost 25%), and total expenses were up by $347,659 (18%).

Executive producer Catherine O'Grady noted that the Vancouver Jazz Festival lost $250,000 this year while the Toronto Jazz Festival lost $200,000. In Montreal, acts that have always sold out in the past like Dave Brubeck, Sonny Rollins, Keith Jarrett, John Scofield, and Smokey Robinson, still had seats available, and the festival lost $600,000. In Ottawa, the Folk Festival was left with an accumulated debt of about $150,000 this year after poor ticket sales and bad luck with weather.

Aloha,

Brad

• 1 month later...

More notes on the Folk Takeover:

Bluesfest boss takes over folkfest lineup

By Lynn Saxberg, Ottawa Citizen January 18, 2011

After less than a year in the job, the Ottawa Folk Festival’s artistic director Dylan Griffith quietly stepped down before Christmas, leaving Bluesfest’s Mark Monahan in charge of booking acts for the 18th annual folkfest.

“Basically he left by mutual agreement,†Monahan said. “There were decisions he had to make and issues around the changes, and we both decided that maybe it’s better if he went.â€

Griffith had a two-word response to requests for an interview: “Old news,†he wrote, declining further comment.

Following a nationwide search, Griffith, a former Whitehorse resident, was hired last January to “hipify†the struggling festival and attract new audiences. He replaced Ottawa musician/facilitator Chris White, who co-founded the festival in 1994 and helped build it into a family-friendly, musically adventurous weekend in picturesque Britannia Park.

Griffith booked a bold lineup for last August’s event that included hip-hop veterans Arrested Development, but the festival’s main stage was rained out on the final day, sending the event deeper into debt.

Bluesfest, Ottawa’s massive summer music festival headed by Monahan, stepped in and bailed out the cash-strapped folkfest in November by providing funds to pay outstanding debts. As part of the takeover, Bluesfest replaced a handful of the folk festival’s board of directors, bringing in experienced Bluesfest board members Bob Provick, Connor Grimes and James Leal, as well as the Black Sheep Inn’s Paul Symes.

Other changes since the influx of Bluesfest cash include a change of dates for the event, and likely a move to a more spacious location. That will be decided within a month, Monahan said. He also plans to double the talent budget for the folk festival, which is slated for Aug. 26 to 28. “The budget last year was $150,000 to $200,000. I can easily see that doubling.â€

Folk fans shouldn’t worry about Bluesfest’s rock-concert reputation impinging on their event, but they will have to keep a musically open mind. “It’s not going to be the same event as Bluesfest,†Monahan said. “But over the past five or 10 years, it’s already taken different directions in terms of artistic programming. Broken Social Scene and Michael Franti have performed. They’ve had very non-traditional folk performers so for me to program any of those acts, for instance, I wouldn’t hesitate because it’s already been done.â€

Monahan also promised to maintain the essence of the folk festival by leaving certain elements intact, including the kids’ zone, the daytime programming and the dance tent. Three folkfest staff members, including Ottawa singer-songwriter Ana Miura, have kept their positions, although Miura shifts from general manager to sponsorship. A new executive director will be hired, Monahan said, adding that he will act in more of a supervisory role, not as a folkfest staff member. The two festivals already share space in the Bluesfest offices on the second floor of the Greyhound bus station.

Monahan noted it’s more efficient for the two festivals to share resources. “We have full-time staff that have developed an expertise. We all don’t need to have an accountant. A good accountant is a good accountant, whether he’s doing the folk festival or Bluesfest. So it makes sense that if your resources are pooled, you’re going to get better services.

“On that level, I think the blues festival benefits because we have another person to share some of those expenses. For example, instead of us paying someone $50,000, now we have someone who might be contributing $5,000 of that. In that case, we can either pay someone more or reduce expenses more.â€

The arrangement also gives more flexibility in programming. When Bluesfest’s artistic committee submits offers for artists, it can be frustrating if an act is not available during the festival’s run, which is July 5 to 17 this year. “Not that we want to have the same performers, but it gives you many more options,†Monahan said. It also prevents the two festivals wasting time by chasing the same artists.

When asked if we are likely to see a band like Iron Maiden, who played Bluesfest last year, at the folk festival, Monahan laughed. “It’s possible,†he joked. “They do an acoustic set.â€

© Copyright © The Ottawa Citizen

Dylan Griffith quietly stepped down before Christmas, leaving Bluesfest’s Mark Monahan in charge of booking acts for the 18th annual folkfest.

“Basically he left by mutual agreement,†Monahan said. “There were decisions he had to make and issues around the changes, and we both decided that maybe it’s better if he went.â€

Griffith had a two-word response to requests for an interview: “Old news,†he wrote, declining further comment.

Poor Dylan, they really fucked him over. He did everything he could to save Folkfest, put on a great festival, and now they're spinning it to look like he was actually given a choice before they tossed him out on his ass.

Its true, but hey I'm not complaining, a doubled Folkfest artist budget and new location makes up for all the bullshit and bureaucracy that Monahan will bring with him.

Still Dylan deserved better, he had a great vision and knew his shit. I hope he smashed some shit on his way out.

Dylan had a big bag of morals and values that were likely being infringed upon. I feel bad for the guy moving here from Whitehorse for a 10 month gig.

The article reeks of everything I suspected had happened....

Now that all being said this decision will certainly help out with the economic realities that face the festival.

Synergies exist all over the place that will likely reduce costs, increase productivity and allow for a more HQ lineup.

In my mind yes, but that all depends on what you consider work.....

They don't pay me, but I devote alot of time to the organization as the Production Crew Leader.

Its a year long volunteer position for which I receive no monetary compensation at all. For most of the year its just a couple of monthly meetings; but when June rolls around its nearly a part time gig.

Why?

In my mind yes, but that all depends on what you consider work.....

They don't pay me, but I devote alot of time to the organization as the Production Crew Leader.

Its a year long volunteer position for which I receive no monetary compensation at all. For most of the year its just a couple of monthly meetings; but when June rolls around its nearly a part time gig.

Why?

You are awesome Sean...way to do what you love regardless of dollars. Thankyou!

The Folk Fest lease at 5th and Bank expired on January 15th, and the physical move to the Bluesfest offices on Catherine St. took place this past weekend.

A fine example of the organizations banding together to reduce cost: the folk office was a virtual graveyard for days at a time in the off season save for the three full time members.