Levon Helm @ Massey Hall (March 4 & 5)

Kanada Kev

Just in:

Levon Helm's Ramble on the Road with Lucinda Williams

rbi productions presents

LEVON HELM’S RAMBLE ON THE ROAD WITH LUCINDA WILLIAMS

March 4 & 5, 2011, at 8 p.m.

Massey Hall | $54.50 - $79.50

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, Levon Helm has enjoyed an illustrious career as leader of Levon and the Hawks, a founding member of the legendary group The Band, and as a multi-Grammy award winning solo artist. In 2004, Helm conceived and began his Midnight Ramble Sessions, a series of live performances at his studios in Woodstock, NY, to celebrate his return to music following treatments for throat cancer, which silenced the famous southern voice to a whisper for over 5 years. His series has continued with regular guests including John Hiatt, Emmylou Harris, Dr. John, Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint among many others. Helm’s Midnight Ramble would always include his great classics from his days with The Band, but also celebrate the traditional American music now referred to as “Americana," a genre in which Helm has been celebrated, winning Grammy Awards for both his albums, Dirt Farmer (2007) and Electric Dirt (2009), which earned the honour as "Best Americana Album" in the category’s inaugural year.

Joining in on the Ramble and with a full set of her own inspired music is the multi-Grammy award-winning Louisiana native, Lucinda Williams. Williams and her band will perform music from her Lost Highway release Little Honey (2008) as well as favourites from her acclaimed catalogue. Equal parts blues, folk, country and rock anchored by deeply poetic lyrics that convey the full spectrum of the human experience and the emotions associated with it, Williams has long been praised for her stunning, raw and affecting live performances.

Helm first brought his Ramble on the Road in to Massey Hall in June 2010, was both an instant sell-out and much applauded by critics and fans alike. Helm’s return to his favourite concert hall, this time with Lucinda Williams, is sure to be among 2011’s “can’t miss†concerts of the year.

FRIENDS ON SALE: Tues November 16 at 10 a.m.

PUBLIC ON SALE: Fri November 19 at 12 p.m.

A limit of 6 tickets per FriendsFirst account applies.

Edited by Guest

Oh, I don't sit...but being the ONLY one actually showing any sort of enjoyment surely takes away from the "concert experience" A random girl and myself (only ones standing on the balcony for the Crowes) were joking about it and actually scanned the balcony for someone even bobbing their head to the music and there were none that we could see. I hold no real position one way or the other, other than to say Toronto is fucking lame, i guess.

Parade meet rain.

True Story: Willie Nelson at teh Air Canada tent or whatever they call it. 8th row and drunk - honkey tonk style. I'm dancing away having a good time with a good friend from the islands. The guys behind gives us that "sit down" treatment. Luckily I can't hear (because I don't want to and I'm drunk enough to not care that I'm the only one dancing, and my friend is the only other one standing).

Next the guy makes some type of "broke-back mountain comment". Well that doesn't fly on the island, so about 30 seconds to a minute later, after a stern talking to by my friend, the guy and his wife left.

After that a bunch of girls (or at least one) came and danced with me. Good times!

You can dance if you want to!

• 3 weeks later...

Barbara O'Brien told Levon that at last Saturday's Ramble, we offered refunds and/or switched tickets to audience members - because he wasn't going to be performing. I told him that the audience shouted out words of support - whether he was there or not! He was deeply touched by the outpouring of love and so appreciative of that fact that 99% of the people stayed for the show. His words, "Damn! Bless their hearts"!