Jambands.ca

Fareed Haque to split from Garaj Mahal

lightsweetcrude

This just in from FH's management co:

"In 2011 Fareed Haque will be pursuing new musical adventures and after ten amazing years will no longer be touring with Garaj Mahal. Everyone is still friends, rest assured, just pursuing different goals musically in the near future. Garaj Mahal will continue on, and Fareed will be concentrating on his projects as MathGames, the Flat Earth Ensemble, the new trio [...] and other amazing projects!"

Everyone who made the 10/30 show should count themselves lucky! There are 4 more this year...

lightsweetcrude had the good luck of getting Fareed into the studio on 10/31 to collab on a few tracks, set to drop in 2011...

Check a photo from the session

And now, the weather....

Peace.

About eight years ago or so I actually saw a whole bunch of impromptu GM shows without Fareed playing, when the rest of the band was stuck in Vancouver for a couple weeks, without planning to be.

Don't get me wrong - I love Fareed - but I can tell you that he is far from the whole band. Those little shows with the rest of the band alone were amazing.

Hey - Very cool! Wonder if those shows you caught were taped? Gotta check Archive later...

Agreed: FH isn't the whole band, but it will be different when he's gone. He's not just a player, but a significant contributor to the writing (and therfore some of the musical direction, esp. the Indo-fusion aspect), and the "elder statesman" (I'm sure he'd love to read that!)... And the sound via his chops, and two very unique instruments - his Guitsar, and Moog Guitar.

It will be interesting to see what happens, and how it changes...

Peace.

I don't actually even know what the band was called those nights (if they even had a name).

Email Derek ("Deke") at Upstream Entertainment. I'll bet he'll know right off the top of his head what the band was calling itself, if the shows were taped, who did the recording, and how you can get your hands on recordings.

Hey -

What FHG album have you been digging?

Flat Planet, is one of the best _albums_ I have heard in a while. There are themes and 'sonics' woven throughout that bind the whole thing together really interestingly. And the playing is awesome! Who said the album is dead? ;+)

From what I can tell/have heard, coming up next for him is a more traditional jazz album: a trio recording, which he's cutting this weekend, I believe...(?) in NYC with heavy hitters Billy Hart, and George Mraz. This is an important one for him, as he's challenging himself to do a unique trio record, focussing on acoustic gtr and ballads, and coming at the material (likely all standards) from an original standpoint.

Plus there's a new Flat Earth Ensemble album set to drop, and his new Math Games project, for which his main axe is the Moog Guitar. Have you ever seen this

?

Re: the sessions... What are you curious about? Not sure where to begin....

Peace.

lightsweetcrude had the good luck of getting Fareed into the studio on 10/31 to collab on a few tracks, set to drop in 2011...

Check a photo from the session

It's pretty neat Fareed recorded with you guys. I knew he was

going into the studio the next day but I had no idea it was with you.

When I was confirming Garaj Mahal to play Hamilton I was also

considering a Toronto show and you guys were the support act I

was thinking about. Neat coincidence. Maybe next time with Flat

Earth Ensemble. I look forward to hearing the new cd.