Jambands.ca

Thanksgiving?

Velvet

Some questions:

1) Are Canada and the USA the only countries that celebrate Thanksgiving?

No... Other nations have similar holidays/celebrations based on the harvest.

2) Why do Canada and the USA celebrate Thanksgiving on different days?

Canada's Thanksgiving is based on the harvest and not on the Pilgrims landing like the United States holiday. It occurs earlier than the US Thanksgiving because Canada is north of the United States, and therefore the harvest season occurs earlier in the year.

3) How many of you are getting paid to read this thread?

Yes

Some questions:

1) Are Canada and the USA the only countries that celebrate Thanksgiving?

2) Why do Canada and the USA celebrate Thanksgiving on different days?

3) How many of you are getting paid to read this thread?

1) No.

2)The first thanksgiving celebration was not about the harvest, but to celebrate the return home of Frobisher from his journey for a passage to the pacific. Which was first celebrated in Newfoundland. It wasn't until the late 1800s (after confederation) that we started celebrating thanksgiving as we know it now. Thanks grade 8 history.

Currently, in the United States Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November, and in Canada it is celebrated on the second Monday of October .

Thanksgiving in the United States was observed on various dates throughout history. By the mid 20th century, the final Thursday in November had become the customary day of Thanksgiving in most U.S. states. It was not until December 26, 1941, however, that President Franklin D. Roosevelt, after pushing two years earlier to move the date earlier to give the country an economic boost, signed a bill into law with Congress, making Thanksgiving a national holiday and settling it to the fourth (but not final) Thursday in November.[8]

Thanksgiving in Canada did not have a fixed date until the late 19th century, at which time it was typically held on November 6. After the end of World War I, Thanksgiving Day and Remembrance Day ceremonies were usually held during the same week. To prevent the two holidays from clashing with one another, in 1957 the Canadian Parliament proclaimed Thanksgiving to be observed on its present date.[7]

So we picked the date to try and balance out our fall holidays while the US pick their date to extend their Christmas shopping season?

U.S. thanksgiving is a much bigger deal as well. Although it's not a religious holiday, being Jewish I never celebrated thanksgiving growing up, nor did any of my Jewish friends. still don't. When I lived in the U.S. I was surprised to find out thay everybody celebrated thanksgiving, even orthodox Jews, Rabbis, etc...

I had many Jewish friends in high school and I was really surprised to find out they didn't celebrate Thanksgiving.. which is totally not a religious holiday. I never figured that one out, but whatever.. more turkey for me!