Jambands.ca

Rest in peace Patchoulia

Basher

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I write a weeky music history article and my I dedicated my latest to Julia (it was posted today):

This issue of This Week in History (in all its sarcasm, profanity and occasion bits of humour) is dedicated to my friend and fellow music lover, Julia McAllister, who unexpectedly passed away in her sleep while I was writing this article. Although her bright light may be physically extinguished from this earth, her soul and spirit will forever shine on. Here's a favourite quote of Julia's, from A Mighty Wind: "I suffered a lot of abuse as a child...mostly musical in nature..."

Facebook at about 10pm last night was the most meaningful and special that site has even been.... At least 20 status updates on my news feed over a three hour period that read:

"Life is a pretty sweet fruit. Suck the juice baby. Suck the juice." RIP Julia

Stay strong Basher!

My status was the same, although I respectfully declined to include 'RIP Julia' as I'm pretty sure we never met, and my daughter is named Julia, and that would have been awkward to say the least.

Brian, as mentioned, I'm not sure we've ever met (maybe briefly at P&F Rochester) but I've been thinking about you since I read this last night ... I can only hope that my long-distance vibes can reach you, and those closest to you both, and provide some form of comfort to you now and the time to come.

My thoughts are with you Basher.... I met Julia only once, you guys came out to see a band and visit POG in Oshawa .... I don't remember many details of the night but surely remember her beautiful spirit and infectious kind vibes.... Be Well.

I believe that was a Cosmic Boogie Band night Mike... that was a really fun night. Julia definitely made people smile.

It was through Eric from Caution Jam that I first met my friend Julia. He was my roomie at the time, and knew that I often crossed the border to see little known jambands. He told me that I oughta meet his friend Julia, who also liked to roadtrip to shows. We met several times, and hit it off immediately. Our first (and possibly only for some unknown reason) roadtrip together was to the Gathering of the Vibes 1999, the first year it was in Bridgeport, Connecticut. It was during the course of the many hours we spent together in her SUV that I grew to know the beauty and compassion and generosity and wit that was Julia. She's been a very special friend ever since, and it will be a challenge to learn to live without her in this world. I miss her dearly already! RIP Julia, and I hope you know how much you were loved!

To Brian and family and everyone who shared Julia's life in one way or another, thank you for bringing joy into Julia's life...the girl always had a bright sunny smile to warm your heart!

On Wednesday evening, I received a call from mousepad. I asked her how she was doing and she said “not well.†She asked me if I had heard the news that Julia had died. She had just read about it on Facebook. I was stunned. Shortly after hanging up the phone, I logged into Facebook and sure enough, there was the sad and upsetting news. I couldn’t help but think of the exciting wedding plans that I had read about on Jambands.ca so recently.

I did not know Julia well enough to call her a close friend. But I would certainly call her a friend, having talked with her in person at various shows, and having read many of her posts on this message board over the years. My heart goes out to you Brian and to Julia’s closest family members and friends.

Rest in peace Julia.

for those not on facebook, i haven't seen this posted so far here:

from brian's fb:

Brian Sherman

"This, from Caution Jam: "Julia McAllister was a very special person and

will be missed for her spirit, laugh, humour, writing, warm heart,

passion for music, sports and life and that let's get the party started

attitude. For those that would like to share some stories about Julia

we'll be at Grossman's on Saturday night (tonight) for Caution Jam - no cover.

What a fun lady she was!"

I plan on attending."

Velvet and I have room in our car from Ottawa. PM or call us before 3 pm if you wanted to go.

Edited by Guest