Jambands.ca

Rest in peace Patchoulia

Basher

Thank you for commenting on the funeral, PoG. I've been thinking about this all day, and I am sickened I could not get to Toronto for this, and I will be going by the grave to pay my respects as soon as I can.

It provides some solace to hear it was a good service, though. Thanks.

I've opened this thread a dozen times, and haven't been able to post a thing. (Yes. For the first time, I've been at a loss for words.)

I will say this, though:

Julia was very special; uniquely so. I will never know another person like her, and I will never forget her. She was a truly good person, and she truly cared. I always knew I would have her in my corner, no matter what (even if I didn't deserve it).

She was my friend. I will miss her always.

RIP

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only had the pleasure of meeting Julia on a couple of occasions but she always posessed that infectious smile seen in the pictures above, I will always remember her in that light.

Such a great person taken far to soon. So sorry to hear about this Brian, my sincere condolences go to you and your families.

So true Bob. Good to see you yesterday. It's been way too long.

I can't believe I arrived for the funeral 2 hours early! I had misread the start time as 1pm and not 3pm. I was rushing to get there and started to walk in on the service that was about to start. With the familiar sounds of "Danny Boy" being played and an abundance of lovely little old people, my brain kicked-in and told me this wasn't the service I was supposed to be at. Had a quick chuckle (on the inside as to not upset anyone there) and did a 180 and back out to the lobby.

When Julia's service came around it was really good. A beautiful version of Jeff Buckley performing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" was filling the room. Damn that song gets to me ... it's soo beautiful.

Some amazing stories and words were said by representatives from Dryden, ON where she grew up, to her boss at Rogers, and her new-found biological sisters. As Bob mentioned, there was a John Prine song played (sorry i forget which one). Brian rounded out the ceremony with the most solid, positive and heart-felt speech. He conveyed the strength and joy and happiness that was Julia and reminded us all that we should carry her legacy in that manner. Look for the good. Make things fun. Be happy. Ain't no time to waste. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Walking out of the ceremony a rousing recording of Suzy Greenberg filled the air. Classic.

Back to the house that they live in for more memories and time with friends. Trying to find some positiveness and it wasn't hard. Just had to look around and realize that I had just made a bunch of new friends thanks again to Julia. Really, as sad as times can be like this, I am learning that you can truly find amazing bounties of happiness too. When I take the time to sit back and observe the humans around me (something Juila was a master at) I will think of Julia and smile. We are all truly fortunate to have been lucky enough to have had Julia in our lives no matter what the medium and no matter how long.

Julia you will be missed tremedously and remembered always. Fare thee well ....

I know I'm posting this video for the second time, but it was included on the memorial cards that were handed out at the funeral listed as "Julia's not so guilty pleasure". Rock on Julia ;]^^

This ain't a song for the brokenhearted

No silent prayer for the faith departed

And I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd

You're gonna hear my voice when I shout it out loud

It's my life

It's now or never

I ain't gonna live forever

I just wanna live while I'm alive

(It's my life)

My heart is like an open highway

Like Frankie said, "I did it my way"

I just wanna live while I'm alive

'Cause it's my life

This is for the ones who stood their ground

For (all my friends) who never backed down

Tomorrow's getting harder, make no mistake

Luck ain't even lucky, gotta make your own breaks

You better stand tall

When they're calling you out

Don't bend, don't break

Baby, don't back down

A Memorial donation page has been set up in honour of our dear friend Princess Patchoulia's memory.

http://mbird.org/2010/12/julia-mcallister/

About Mockingbird:

The Mockingbird Foundation is entirely volunteer, with no salaries, paid staff, office space, or endowment — thus distributing all possible funds to charity. No member or volunteer benefits financially from the Foundation in any way, and all proceeds from Mockingbird projects are donated to tax-exempt organizations. The Foundation’s primary purpose is charitable, out of love for and thanks to Phish for their inspiring music.

Edited by Guest