Jambands.ca

The Jayhawks at the Phoenix 1/18/11

TimmyB

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the setlist, I'll write more tomorrow at some point. I'll say this though, it was a great night seeing the Jayhawks together again.

The Jayhawks

Phoenix Concert Theatre

Tuesday January 18, 2011

Start time 9:49 pm

1. Wichita

2. Pray for Me

3. Real Light

4. Red's Song

5. Nothing Left to Borrow

6. Tomorrow the Green Grass

7. Let the Critics Wonder

8. Two Hearts

9. Settled Down Like Rain

10. Nevada, California

11. She Walks

12. Warm River

13. Blue

14. I'd Run Away

15. No Place

16. Miss Williams Guitar

17. Black Eyed Susan

18. Bad Time

19. People in this Place

20. Waiting for the Sun

Encore: 21. Clouds

22. Tampa to Tulsa

23. Lights

End time: 11:38 pm (Total time 1 hour and 48 minutes)

Wow. Was i ever underwhelmed by last night's show. I know that a concert experience can be completely different for each attendee and I'm sure many had an amazing show last night.

I found the sound to be horrendous. Positioned beside the sbd and the levels were so hot that the PA was pumping out a completely distorted sound to my ears. No clarity or distinction between voices and instruments created an over-bearing muddy sound.

I was trying to determine if the sound was killing an otherwise kickass performance, but it was hard to tell. For a band with such sweet vocals and normally tight playing it was lost. These guys need to be in a much better room with a way better sound mix for me to catch them again. Blue Rodeo and Wilco will get my concert dollars much sooner.

Nice hanging with you again Brian and bumping into Chad and Jay too (and a brief hello with GrooveFetish?)

no that wasn't just the sound - apparently that was their first show in a year? man could you tell, I think it was Olson who was generally the least in time but the band was flubbing notes and not tight at all. Weird, I actually thought that was what they sound like live, but my friend who was more familiar with them said no, they were not playing well or up to their usual level.

I thought the vocals were alright though. They certainly took a few songs to warm up, but overall I think the singing was pretty good.

I was not feeling very well so that definitely took a the wind out of my sails from the get-go. Overall I still managed to have a good time, although I had to resort to sitting up top at the very back which is unusual for me.

I'd agree with the sound comments, but wasn't really expecting great sound given the venue choice.

I thought the vocal harmonies were by far the highlight. There were some really good moments. I found it took me a few songs to get into it. There were also a lot of songs that I was hoping to hear and didn't. I was also hoping that Egan would have sat in with them for a couple tunes. I think he would have complemented their sound beautifully.

This was my highlight run of tunes for the night for me:

13. Blue

14. I'd Run Away

15. No Place

16. Miss Williams Guitar

Great company though. Thanks to Wassink Wild Card, MarcO & c-towns. Too bad we didn't run into any of you other folks.

I'd go see them again, but preferably elsewhere.

Sound guy was wearing earplugs. That's all you need to know.

haha.

I went in not knowing these guys at all, only listening to disc 2 of North Country and a B sides disc and according to the set list I didn't hear any of those tunes.

This was my first time at the Phoenix and I haven't heard a good word about it. I thought the sight lines were good. I couldn't make out the vocals very well and I did feel the muddiness a lot of you have referred to but thats likely because I didn't know any of the tunes. The crowd felt like a college bro reunion from the early 90's but I'm sure that is a large portion of their demographic.

Out of all of the songs 'Tomorrow the Green Grass' was the most enjoyable song to my ears.

I would give them another shot at a different venue I think. Good times and a big thanks to my concert going companions. Sweet Clams.

I was able to go after all and I thought it was an excellent show. When I was up front it sounded ok. When I went upstairs and to the back, it sounded poor, but then I was upstairs and in the back, so I didn't expect it to sound too good. I just needed to bro down with ctowns.