Jambands.ca

2011 Festival of Friends - Cheap Trick or Steppenwolf?

Irie Guy

i'll join you

the flame sucks!

first saw them at MLG in 1978. i saw them in, I think 1997, opening for ZZ Top at the Molson Amphitheatre. great set. due behing me was upset that they didn't play the flame. ZZ Top was fucking horrible fwiw.

i lost interest in Cheap Trick after Dream Police which came out in 1979. Got back into them when they released Cheap Trick in 1997. every album/CD since has been quite good.

they were the original backing band for John Lennon when recording Double Fantasy.

I've seen Steppenwolf a few times - off the top of my head - the 20th anniversary of Woodstock, Molson Park 89 (lots of artists from the original), LuLus Kitchner 95, and most recently in Port Dover during the friday the 13th bash. Can't really say I'd pay to see them again - each time I was pretty disappointed, even though I always enjoyed (and still do) their 70's stuff. Still not sure why they played the Woodstock 20th bash in 89...

I've haven't seen Cheap Trick before since I've never been into them at all, and I doubt I would pay to see them but I wouldn't leave if they they were play at FoF - a free show is always affordable and I guess I'd be able to check them off my list - although they were never really on my "checklist of bands".

FoF is a great festival - 35 years running (free) now and I think I've been to at least 30 of them. I remember my Mom driving us into Hamilton before we lived here in the late 70s to check out Bruce Cockburn & Jackie Washington whom my Mom really enjoys.

They have always had an interesting and broad spectrum of musical talent. Not just the headliner(s). Great little family festival.

Here's a list of performers dating from 1976 (first year) to 2009.

http://docs.google.festival_archive+festival+of+friends

Can't believe Fat Cats was back in 1994...And good ole Doug Fever made his debut there in '86. It was a surprise to see him out on Saturday. Always a throw-back when he joins the Fatties for a song or two.

And yeah, I agree with your summation Esau, of the festival and its finer qualities

Cheap trick was actually my first concert (if you don't include the Village People w/ Gloria Gaynor at MLG' date=' which I like to forget).[/quote']

Did your parents take you to that? If so, it might not count.

Aloha,

Brad

nope - went with a group of friends. a parent dropped us off and picked us up after the show.

end of drift........

• 1 month later...

Kim Mitchell and Cheap Trick to play Voyageur Days

Local News

Updated 15 days ago

Mattawa Voyageur Days' organizing committee has signed Kim Mitchell and Cheap Trick for its festival, July 21 to 24.

Mitchell and Cheap Trick will take the stage during the Rock Where the Rivers Meet from 12 p.m. to 12 a.m., July 23.

"The Committee is extremely pleased with this announcement and very excited with how negotiations are proceeding with the remaining lineup" says Jacques Begin, co-chairman of the Mattawa Voyageur Days organizing committee.

Wristbands are on sale at area branches of Caisse Populaire, Scotiabanks and at the Mattawa Travel Information Centre.

For more information call the information centre at 744-0222.

Cheap Trick's latest album, seemingly cleverly titled "The Latest" is available for free in this month's issue of Classic Rock Magazine, along with a Heavy Metal Cookbook calendar.

The disc is pretty good, and the calendar has some real tasty treats in it.

Letting ya know......

I got this as an Xmas gift. Can't wait to try some recipes.

I listened to the Cheap Trick disc. It's pretty decent.

They get some pretty big-name acts in Mattawa for their summer festival.

Festival of friends will NOT! be the same if in ancaster! Im not liking this idea. Might be for the better but ive been goin all my life down to this festival and cant see it anywhere else. Kinda Sad.

i have to agree. i suppose people have their reasons, but gage park in the late summer with tons of fun music and food and rides and kids and families and a few dogs has becomes a cool tradition.