Jambands.ca

I need a new TV...

badams

Within the next month our basement will be finished and I have been given the go ahead to purchase a new TV for the space.

Currently I have a 40 inch plasma 1080 upstairs and plan to continue to use that tv in that space.

Anyone have any suggestions or know of any good deals out there for a new TV? I'd like something 44 to 50 inches. I'm not committed to plasma, LCD or LED so maybe someone can sway me. I do not want a 3D tv at this time.

Any tips would be appreciated...

PS I'd like to keep the price within the $1000 range give or take a few dollars either way.

Guest Low Roller

I just got a Sony EX500 55". It's fucking sick at a sick price.

Now is the right time to buy because it's year end, new models are coming out soon, and the stores are trying to get rid of older models. Especially LCDs which are being phased out in favour of LEDs.

I did so much research on TVs recently.

I decided to go with an LCD over LED and Plasma is because of the fact that the TV will be upstairs so I will never get a nice dark environment to really take advantage of the contrast ratio that plasma has to offer. LEDs were out of my price range for the size that I wanted. LCDs are brighter and have less glare because their screen is less glossy.

Plasma does produce MUCH better black levels, but it also consumes more energy and heats up more.

Plasma has better viewing angles so if you have seating that is off to the side it would be better. Then again LCDs have gotten much better, and offer a viewing angle of about 176 degrees (+/- 88 degrees from centre).

If you decide to go plasma, Panasonic is by far the market leader. If you decide on LCD, then Samsung is tops, followed by Sony.

One of the downfalls of the Sony I bought is that the built-in USB port only recognizes JPG, MP3, and MPEG1&2. So anything else needs an external media player (i.e. DIVX movies). It also doesn't have an ethernet port or Wi-Fi. And it doesn't do 3D. All these things I decided were not high priority and therefore explain why I chose the model I did.

Do your research and know what your criteria is, otherwise you will just spin your wheels for weeks or buy something crap.

Get extended warranty too. Try to negotiate it into the price of the TV.

I wouldn't buy plasma if your room has much light coming through windows. LED is the best choice these days, but probably out of your budget. You know there'll be WICKED deals boxing day late at night at Futureshop and Best Buy. I'd narrow down the search field to at least the right brand and size and buy whatever is on sale at that time.

Could probably get a Samsung. They're good at tv's.

How far away will you be sitting? This is a handy chart.

Screen Viewing distance range

26" 3.25-5.5 feet

32" 4.0-6.66 feet

37" 4.63-7.71 feet

40" 5.0-8.33 feet

46" 5.75-9.5 feet

52" 6.5-10.8 feet

58" 7.25-12 feet

65" 8.13-13.5 feet

70" 8.75-14.75 feet

I just picked up this bad boy yesterday at Future Shop.

We paid $649 yesterday. It's not 1080 and is Plasma, but it should work well for the basement.

Thats the one I was considering for $700.

Nice score!!

I already own an LG plasma and its kick ass. I can't imagine much better picture quality you can get without doubling your investment.

Rule #1-Don't ask a bunch of people who don't know about TV's about TV's. I see this on PT all the time and it is absolutely hilarious. There are lots of video specific forums that have tons of great information on them. A lot of the people who sell this stuff hardly have a clue as to what is going on--the hobbyist/enthusiast crowd are the ones that can steer you right--just as you could likely find out what the top 5 Slip shows of all time are on this site, you can quickly and easily find out what the top 5 50-55" models are on the AVS forum or similar.

Rule #2-Go out and look with your own eyes. You may find that one set or another has less glare, better viewing angles, better colour, less grain etc. Deciding on X, Y, or Z brand before you go out and look is not a good idea as different models/sizes from a given brand can be sourced from different manufacturers--for example a Sony 40" can look like shit but the 55" is tits due to where the actual panels themselves are being sourced from.

There are lots of good deals on this weekend so it is a good time to buy.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/lcd/LN46C650L1FXZC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

I'm buying this one come January once the price drops again. Hoping to get it for around $800. Planning on building a HTPC using http://www.boxee.tv/

2. What can I watch on my Boxee?

If it’s available on the Internet, then you can probably watch it on your Boxee - there are more than 40,000 TV show episodes and movies currently available through Boxee. Plus, you can play personal stuff from your network or hard-drive.

I'd like to see what exactly is available in canada through boxee. I'm guessing just netflix.

Brad, I'd seriously go down to Just HiFi and pick the salesmen's brains before you buy. They are real TV experts and the store doesn't sell junk.

That's a good idea Jaimoe... I pretty much know what I want but some expert advice will not hurt. Also, it's really just a 2nd TV... My current plasma is sweeeeeet :)

Rule #1-Don't ask a bunch of people who don't know about TV's about TV's. I see this on PT all the time and it is absolutely hilarious.

I'm not claiming to be an expert in the technology, but I am an semi pro at finding a good deal. The suggestion I made was based on price and my experience with my own very very similar TV.

I paid about the $700 for a 42" of the same TV (8 months ago) and am completely satisfied so I can't see how any extra eight inches of viewing could ruin deal.

Please don't paint this place with a PT brush- I'd like to think that on the evolutionary scale they are still somewhere during the Paleozoic era.

Best Buy has a 50" LG Plasma on sale for $700 right now..... I had a hard time not buying it last week just because.

I was looking at this one earlier today... it has made the short list.

Just HiFi will cut you deals too that are at least competetive. Keep your eyes peeled.

Also, taking Roller's cue, I'd also bring a good new release movie and test it on a bunch of TVs. If you go Blu-ray, all the better. I'd recommend District 9 since it's the best looking non-animated Blu-ray I've seen yet.

Best Buy has a 50" LG Plasma on sale for $700 right now..... I had a hard time not buying it last week just because.

Just HiFi will cut you deals too that are at least competetive. Keep your eyes peeled.

Also' date=' taking Roller's cue, I'd also bring a good new release movie and test it on a bunch of TVs. If you go Blu-ray, all the better. I'd recommend District 9 since it's the best looking non-animated Blu-ray I've seen yet.[/quote']

I am all about the Blu-ray and I agree District 9 looks great in that format.

Also, taking Roller's cue, I'd also bring a good new release movie and test it on a bunch of TVs. If you go Blu-ray, all the better. I'd recommend District 9 since it's the best looking non-animated Blu-ray I've seen yet.

I've heard this advice but has anyone actually gone through with it? Last time I was shopping for a TV at Best Buy (et al) none of the TVs had players hooked up to them and I imagine asking someone to do that for you, and then hook it up to each successive TV would get you a strong "pain in the ass" look.

Not to mention that 2 TVs side by side can have different colour settings. Obviously don't buy something that looks like crap but I've never found comparing TVs in that setting to be totally reliable either.

Also' date=' taking Roller's cue, I'd also bring a good new release movie and test it on a bunch of TVs. If you go Blu-ray, all the better. I'd recommend District 9 since it's the best looking non-animated Blu-ray I've seen yet.[/quote']

I am all about the Blu-ray and I agree District 9 looks great in that format.

And if you bring in a non Blu-ray DVD pre-2005, it'll look spotty on any TV no matter the set's price.

I've heard this advice but has anyone actually gone through with it? Last time I was shopping for a TV at Best Buy (et al) none of the TVs had players hooked up to them and I imagine asking someone to do that for you, and then hook it up to each successive TV would get you a strong "pain in the ass" look.

Not to mention that 2 TVs side by side can have different colour settings. Obviously don't buy something that looks like crap but I've never found comparing TVs in that setting to be totally reliable either.

If you want to do serious tests, go to a good indie store in Ottawa. They'll be hooked up and the levels will be set right. I go to Best Buy from time to time and they suck at presentation. TV video levels are erratic, and it can't always be by coincidence.