Jambands.ca

Leslie Nielson - dead and loving it

skelter

Canadian actor-comedian Leslie Nielsen, who went from drama to inspired bumbling as a hapless doctor in Airplane! and the accident-prone Det. Frank Drebin in the Naked Gun comedies, has died. He was 84.

His agent, John S. Kelly, said Nielsen died Sunday at a hospital near his home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., where he was being treated for pneumonia.

Nielson, who was born in Regina, went to Hollywood in the mid-1950s after performing in 150 live television dramas in New York. With a craggily handsome face, blond hair and 6-foot-2 height, he seemed ideal for a movie leading man.

He quickly became known as a serious actor, although behind the camera he was a prankster. That was an aspect of his personality never exploited, however, until Airplane! was released in 1980 and became a huge hit.

© The Canadian Press, 2010

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2010/11/28/nielsen-dies.html#ixzz16dcccbiL

I always found it funny that such an old dude was so obsessed with humour, and great at it. I don't think I've ever heard a serious interview with him. Always joking. Too bad there won't be any more naked guns. Gonna have to revisit the naked gun series, and airplane.

Steve Carell looks like Leslie Nielson.

I5XTD00Z.jpg

michael-scott-480x360.jpg

Not too long ago I re-watched Prom Night. Leslie plays a high school principal. It's a good low-budget Canadian slasher flick. I like Leslie's serious films such as the great Forbidden Planet and the decent disaster pic, Poseidon Adventure - and check out the a-hole he plays in Creepshow.

Isn't that poster?
I'd love to be able to afford Forbidden Planet's original one-sheet:

forbidden_planet.jpg

The original theatrical posters (as seen in lobbies or outside the theatre) are often referred to as one-sheets. I've collected a few original one-sheets over the years: Evil Dead II, Donnie Darko, Bubba Ho-Tep, Bittersweet Motel, all three from LOTR. I'm now more into collecting limited edition concert posters.

I'm now more into collecting limited edition concert posters.

what are your two favourites?

I don't have any vintage posters (waaay to much money for the good ones by the Dead, Allmans, Hendrix). I have so many now and I need to do an inventory. I have two really great White Stripes posters, TAB from the early 2000s, Raconteurs, Black Keys, Avett Brothers, Mule (a gift from Booche and I believe, Davey Boy), Swell Season and I really like my B.B. King Molson Amphitheatre poster from 2000. I have a pretty nice Phil poster and an autograhed The Soundtrack Of Our Lives.

Edited by Guest