Jambands.ca

Deals for Rogers HD TV?

AD

I have a question for y'all.

How many of you skip cable altogether and just down load or stream shows you want to watch?

Do you think this is going to be hugely popular in the years to come? I know quite a few people who do this now, but i know way more who just shell out for cable and watch tv the old fashioned way.

A friend has been offered a job selling commercial air time and is trying to way the options. We are trying to figure out how long the current business model will last.

Any thoughts?

AD if I have any advice its to go with Bell and not Rogers.

I get the same stations I was receiving with Rogers, but if I ever need to speak with someone they have a live chat agent that can fix just about anything. Its a big plus if you ever have a billing inquiry, want to change or remove services- you don't have to wait on hold for 30+ minutes.

Also for similar services, our monthly bill is about $65 less with Bell over Rogers.

We didn't get a huge sign on bonus like Rogers offers (first 3 months free is bogus- you end up paying way more over the 2 years), Bell has no contracts if you'd like. None of this locked in for two years nonsense.

Our internet speed is not noticeably different, the HD channels are almost identical (save maybe HDNET which Bell just dumped, not sure if its still on Rogers). You can even save more by reducing the number of 'packages' you select (Bell gives you groups of channels and you select 3,5 or 7 of those groups).

Our monthly bill for the PVR, Internet and all TV including HD runs about $155- but thats a bit high because my girlfriend likes the movie channels and thats when you start paying more......

Hope that helps!

ps. To cancel my Rogers services the last time it took at least 8 normal calls, 2 to the Ombudsman and finally 3 with the Office of the President- not to mention three visits to their store, and 3 months of receiving a bill past the date when I cancelled and my bill was to have been reduced to zero.

pps. Finally when I received proper resolution and was dropping off my modem etc. there were 3 other folks in line cancelling with the same problems (unexplained extra charges and/or charges for services not received or ordered)

I have a question for y'all.

How many of you skip cable altogether and just down load or stream shows you want to watch?

Do you think this is going to be hugely popular in the years to come? I know quite a few people who do this now, but i know way more who just shell out for cable and watch tv the old fashioned way.

A friend has been offered a job selling commercial air time and is trying to way the options. We are trying to figure out how long the current business model will last.

Any thoughts?

The growth of non linear TV viewers (using PVR or On Demand services) far outpaces those going online for their viewing habits. For the foreseeable future there is going to still be a strong market for TV advertising. -Source: Edison Consumer and Market Research- Online Habits of 12-35 Year Olds but I can't find a link to the report I was reading earlier this month.

I personally will stick with good ol cable for a good long while. I stream stuff to my TV when a certain sports game isn't on, or download a movie or tv show here and there- but the time, effort and reduced picture/ experience quality make me think I'm old school and here to stay.

our monthly bill is about $65 less with Bell over Rogers.
Our monthly bill for the PVR, Internet and all TV including HD runs about $155

Just wanted to let AD know I am with Rogers and my montly bill is 20 bucks less than what NW is and I get the VIP package. Also, never have had to deal with a contract. Not sure what NW is talking about but that's pretty much par for the course.

Havent had one Rogers related outage since we moved to the house in 2007, dont have to worry about snow on the dish, storms or any of that shit.

Two points of information:

- if you go with Bell you don't get the local Rogers 22 channel; nice to have for their municipal affairs programming... plus, '67s games!

- Rogers still carries HDNet; I love their Sunday concert marathons.

An anecdote:

- I actually find Rogers support line surprisingly responsive.

Bill values can differ greatly based on what you order, we had the VIP Ultimate Package.....

And Booche perhaps you don't have a contract now because you have passed your two year point- I know you've been in your place for much longer than that.

When I signed up I was told no contract by the sales guy (an old co worker from Moncton who emailed me), that I could cancel anything I wanted within the first FREE six months but when I tried to drop services they suddenly told me I was under a 2 year contract and that was standard for all Rogers customers ("we wouldn't make any money if everyone who got 6 months free cancelled after 5 months") . If it hasn't been two years try to call and cancel- you'll find out what is par for the course.

That was the reason for all of the bullshit- and in the end I found the email from their sales guy stating "no contract" and the Office of the President had no choice but to cancel my services.

You are going to get the same Customer Service from either Bell or Rogers.

You will get some Representatives from either company that know their shit and many that don't. Some will offer you back door deals (minds out of the gutter people) and others won't because they don't know about them or just won't offer them.

Both providers will offer a variety of packages that can be tweaked to your liking. The price you pay will fluctuate with the packages you pick. Research them both and see what's the best package out there for you.

Personally I would go with Rogers but it could be that my 10 years of working at Bell has angered me towards them ;)

My aversion to streaming is that I don't want it to affect my internet bandwidth. Right now I get my internet via DSL (phone line) and my TV via cable. So... the stuff I watch on TV doesn't slow down my internet connection. I like that.

Also, the sports in HD thing.

I didn't think I had any contact either

You also say you spent 220 bucks a month while with Rogers. Its quite clear you do not know wtf is going on.

My last point because Angre is under my skin:

I was offered 6 months free service- so of course I signed up for every last thing they'd throw at me (Home Phone, Internet, HD, PVR, Cable). The total bill for all of those things along with VIP Ultimate (which increases your bill another $45 or so) WOULD have been $245. But I was going to cancel things before the billing started, and as the sales guy said I could on sign up.

I'm in the exact opposite boat of badams because I've just wrapped up 5 months of hostile negotiations with Rogers- but at least I won!

Finally I also rememeber when Rogers set me up, the PVR was used and started crapping out pretty quickly. It took them 5 days to get a new one to me.

Thats all. Get Rogers or whatever, but make damn sure when you sign up that you confirm this contact bullshit (an email will help in the end!). All of the rest is secondary to being locked in for two years (well at least to me).

Eventually you'll fantasize about marching into their head office with all guns blazing.

Its true!

But don't give up. I almost did and it would have cost me big time.

I also started another thread a while back about Rogers trying to gouge my girlfriend on cancellation fees to the tune of $800 on a USB rocket stick. With some persistence that was reduced by alot more than 50%.

The problem there is that persistence takes time and effort and sanity......