Jambands.ca

volunteering in costa rica?

meggo

anyone have experience with this?

i'm planning to go in feb & march of 2011 and i'd like to do some volunteering for about half of that time. what i've found interesting and somewhat puzzling is that many [read=all] of the opportunities i've come across so far have been quite pricey!

i'm all ears if anyone's got a good lead for me!

My aunt and uncle bought property and built a house in Ojochal (sp?) and have been livingthere the past two years. Said this past rainy season they received 9 ft of rain. Insane.

If you end up going meggo and are in that area Ill get you in touch. Would be down for a drink or two im sure.

sorry no info on volunteering though.

what i've found interesting and somewhat puzzling is that many [read=all] of the opportunities i've come across so far have been quite pricey!

That sounds crazy to me. So you are volunteering to give up your time, travel expenses, and sweat in the service of others and they want to charge you for the 'privilege'? Maybe I misunderstood.

Anyways, you've probably gotten this far already, but a couple of links

Latin American NGOs

Worldwide NGO directory

Any particular reason that you aren't hooking up with Habitat for Humanity this time around? Just looking to do something different?

thanks for the links D!

yeah, it's a bit crazy for some of them the price you pay. i guess it's an important source of revenue for some of these organizations but just not do-able for me! but i have found some cool-looking ones that are about $30/day and they give you a place to stay and/or a couple of meals, so that's much more reasonable.

i actually did look into H4H possibilities, but there were no builds happening in CR and the admin positions were minimum 6 months, which i'm just not willing to commit to right at the moment.

so yeah!