Jambands.ca

FREE STUFF - more stuff added

AD

OK, clear-out time.

I have things to pass along. If you want them, you'll have to come and get them, no mailings or drop-offs. I'm in Centretown, Ottawa. Before January 14 would be perfect.

All this is free.

Books

Rolling Stone Raves : What Your Rock and Roll Favorites Favor (Rolling Stone, 1999)

Over the Edge : The Revolution and Evolution of New Rock (Alan Cross, 1997)

Medium Rare : Jamming with Culture (Ken Rockburn, 1995)

Polaroids from the Dead (Douglas Coupland, 1996)

KISS and Make-Up (Gene Simmons, 2001)

Music

I have a ton of burned CDs to get rid of. I'd rather not throw them away because there is still lots of enjoyment left in them. I'd estimate there's around 100 or slightly more. If somebody wants them I'll put them in a plastic bag and you can come get them. If two people want them, I'll split them up into two bags, etc.

Would be great for car listening, cottage, or at home if you still listen to CDs. All kinds of music. Please try to pass along if you don't like the CD or already have it. Know what I mean? Throwing out music is lame.

Other

I have a still-rolled poster from Mike and Sharon's wedding. Obviously don't want to throw that out, so if anyone has use for it, maybe yours went missing, let me know.

I got an external hard-drive for X-mas and if I can't sell some at my local indie music store, anyone who wants some CDs I think are sucky, can pick them up at my place in Toronto (I'll have more to give away in a month as I downsize and get rid of stuff I never listen to and probably never will again): Galactic, North Mississippi Allstars (Polaris), Moe. (Wormwood), Phish and that terrible Betts ABB swansong @ the Beacon along with some double-dip casulties such as The Who @ the Isle of Wight DVD, Who's Next, Live at Leeds. I'd also part with Steel Wheels and some Dylan biographies, but the latter I'd like to give to Greg "Esau". And POG has dibs on my Moe. tour shirt.

LOL Jaimoe... when the hell are we gonna meet up to grab that shirt from you.

Im off next weekend if u are around.

I play hockey on Saturday night, but should be around for the rest of the weekend. Maybe by then I'll find some more CDs to purge, and I know I have lots, especially of the jam variety.

what are you gonna do when that external hard drive eventually crashes?

I'm just purging the CDs I never want to hear again (add Leftover Salmon, SCI and WSP into the mix) along with some albums I have multiple copies of. I still buy and listen to CDs and have an iPod and MP3 player. I just don't have room for 1000 of them anymore. Moving back with the missus = downsizing. Her CDs are next on the chopping block... hopefully starting with Tea Party (her being a fan is reason enough for divorce) and Smashing Pumpkins.

what are you gonna do when that external hard drive eventually crashes?

Well he could embrace the very simple concepts of modern day digital storage.

Raid.gif

If you feel your music, memories and life works are more valuable than whatever the hell you spent to get drunk on friday you might want to consider just keeping things extra extra simple and buy two. Terabytes are too cheap these days not to.

My brain is getting dumb -- took me a moment to get the RAID reference.

It's true what you say - the cost of a gigabyte is damn cheap ... get two and sync them. Gawd, I remember when a 100 megabyte drive was prohibitively expensive.

(Says the pot to the kettle .. my backup strategy could best be described as 'lazy')

I've got 2 of these each with dual 1TB drives down in the basement...

Dlink DNS323

One is music/video, one is backup for everything else - still back up anything 'work-ish' to DVD and keep a couple thumb drives with files on them but the DNS323's do the bulk of it...

added bonus? USB port allows you to plug in a USB Printer and share it on the network...oh and it's got a Bit Torrent client built in so you can set up downloads and turn your computer off...the DNS323 will do it on its own...

Todd / other people who want books - let's arrange a time to pick these up from me. Perhaps Wednesday evening? Or sometime on the weekend? No later than that though, please.

Jay / whoever else is interested - here's some pics of the couch. There's a little bit of wear on the arm. It's roughly 5 feet long by 3 feet deep.

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg