Jambands.ca

Dave Matthew$ Band

AD

Holy shit

And the Most Successful Concert Act of the Oughts Is…

…not U2. Nor Bon Jovi. Or Coldplay. Or Madonna. It’s–the Dave Matthews Band. And the numbers are staggering. Consider:

* Since 1992, the DMB has played 1,692 shows. The majority of the big gigs came, of course, after 2000.

* Every summer, the group heads out on tour. Between 2000 and the end of 2009, the DMB sold exactly 11,230,696 concert tickets. This is a formidable number. No other act anywhere in the world managed more than ten million during the same period.

* Averaging out ticket prices, it’s been calculated that the DMB sold at least $500 million (!!!) worth of concert tickets.

* Another source of income is merchandise sales, which can total as much as $200,000 per show. And when you consider that the DMB played 62 shows in 2010–well, do the math.

* Did I mention the thousands of people who spend $35 a year to be part of the official fanclub? The number cited is 80,000 people. Again, do the math.

Like I said, the numbers are unbelieveable. read more here .

the other thing to keep in mind - Dave doesn't have any fancy light show or staging. His tours are more profitable because they don't do multiple costume changes, fireworks, crazy laser light show.. just meat and potatoes live show...

Metalica, Lady Gaga, The Rolling Stones, Phish, Pink Floyd, Madonna spend a lot of their incomes on these extras - therefore lowering their take home $.

the other thing to keep in mind - Dave doesn't have any fancy light show or staging. His tours are more profitable because they don't do multiple costume changes, fireworks, crazy laser light show.. just meat and potatoes live show...

...you forgot proper discharge of tourbus sewage.

Yes Groove Collective opened the May show.

I saw both the Arrow Hall on 5.5.98 and Maple Leaf Gardens on 11.17.98 (the last concert ever at MLG).

The opener for the November shows were the last by a great Canadian band: The New Meanies (if you don't remember this band, seek out Scenic Anomaly- GREAT SONG!).

And I'll say that I'd still go see DMB, if only for the off chance they play The Stone. Its still in my Top 20 songs and I listen to BTCS somewhat regularly....

I saw both the Arrow Hall on 5.5.98 and Maple Leaf Gardens on 11.17.98 (the last concert ever at MLG).

Yeah, me too. What I remember about Arrow Hall: the sound was shit. I didn't realize that the Gardens show was the last ever show there.

I first saw DMB at the Concert Hall in 1996. Sat on the balcony dead centre stage and loved every second of it. Amazing show.

That was a great show. On the anniversary of Marley's death and they did a great extended Exodus with G-Love too.

wasn't that basically one of their last tours where they actually jammed out on songs? they had recently started playing big venues in the U.S. and the show lengths had shortened. This was their first Canadian tour - the shows were more like what they were playing up until the year before. I missed them as I was out west. Saw them once, in Rocehester with Big Head Todd and the Monsters.

Yeah' date=' me too. What I remember about Arrow Hall: the sound was shit. I didn't realize that the Gardens show was the last ever show there.

[/quote']

Yes the sound was absolutely horrible, and the one thing I remember from that night that was more horrifying than the sound was trying to go to the bathroom and encountering 'slow dancers' during Crash. It was like DMB playing a high school prom in a shitty auditorium.....

This was also the first and only time I have failed on the "ticket check!" and forgot our tickets in Waterloo. We got nearly all the way to Mississauga before I realized. This being before bar codes etc. we had to go back to the Loo and retrieve them.

It was also the first night I took E, but it didn't really work.....

I first saw DMB at the Concert Hall in 1996. Sat on the balcony dead centre stage and loved every second of it. Amazing show.

That was a great show. On the anniversary of Marley's death and they did a great extended Exodus with G-Love too.

wasn't that basically one of their last tours where they actually jammed out on songs? they had recently started playing big venues in the U.S. and the show lengths had shortened. This was their first Canadian tour - the shows were more like what they were playing up until the year before. I missed them as I was out west. Saw them once' date=' in Rocehester with Big Head Todd and the Monsters.

[/quote']

Yup. They really were playing great and the show had to have been 90% Americans ;)

They were still relatively unknown here, but had busted out Stateside. I had a friend who lived in Alexandria, VA and had told me about them in the summer of '94. Traded for some tapes and got their first CD and EP.

In October, they played Lee's Palace!! I couldn't find anyone who had heard of them, let alone want to go check them out. I recall it being the same night as Clapton at MLG, but that would have been a perfect after show gig to catch.

Saw/met them at a festival in eastern Switzerland in the summer of '95. Good times. Really nice guys.

wasn't that basically one of their last tours where they actually jammed out on songs? they had recently started playing big venues in the U.S. and the show lengths had shortened. This was their first Canadian tour - the shows were more like what they were playing up until the year before. I missed them as I was out west. Saw them once' date=' in Rocehester with Big Head Todd and the Monsters.

[/quote']

Yup. They really were playing great and the show had to have been 90% Americans ;)

They were still relatively unknown here, but had busted out Stateside. I had a friend who lived in Alexandria, VA and had told me about them in the summer of '94. Traded for some tapes and got their first CD and EP.

In October, they played Lee's Palace!! I couldn't find anyone who had heard of them, let alone want to go check them out. I recall it being the same night as Clapton at MLG, but that would have been a perfect after show gig to catch.

Saw/met them at a festival in eastern Switzerland in the summer of '95. Good times. Really nice guys.

you also saw them in Rocheter with BHTM in 1995. you drove. Spring, I think.

my first and only DMB show was this one...

Dave Matthews Band

Tuesday, May 14, 1996

Curling Club, Victoria, British Columbia

One Sweet World

Drive In Drive Out

Two Step ...>

Crash Into Me

Dancing Nancies ...>

Warehouse

Cry Freedom

Too Much

Golden Years Interpolation

So Much To Say

Say Goodbye

Nature ...>

Tripping Billies

Deed Is Done (Tease)

Recently

Some People Do/Don't Interpolation

All Along The Watchtower

E: Little Thing

Dave solo

E: Ants Marching

man...15 years ago now :crazy:

my first and only DMB show was this one...

Dave Matthews Band

Tuesday, May 14, 1996

Curling Club, Victoria, British Columbia

One Sweet World

Drive In Drive Out

Two Step ...>

Crash Into Me

Dancing Nancies ...>

Warehouse

Cry Freedom

Too Much

Golden Years Interpolation

So Much To Say

Say Goodbye

Nature ...>

Tripping Billies

Deed Is Done (Tease)

Recently

Some People Do/Don't Interpolation

All Along The Watchtower

E: Little Thing

Dave solo

E: Ants Marching

man...15 years ago now :crazy:

and you've been wearing a white hat ever since. :P

I was also at that 96 Concert Hall show and had a killer time. The show was fantastic but their overall sound changed drastically almost immediately after that.