Jambands.ca

Concert Poster Framing- Ottawa

Northern Wish

Or beyond.....

What is the best method you have come across, the best store, the best prices etc. IKEA seems to have the strangest sized frames that never seem to match any of my posters, and scouring Value Village and Salvation Army is getting boring because I never find one that is decent.

I know I am not alone in having a huge poster tube full of wonderful art stuck in the back of a dresser drawer- but I also don't want to start custom framing $30 posters for $200 a piece.

i think the cheapest i have seen is costco. it's still not cheap if you want it done by the pros, even at costco. that's why i board all mine. the ones worth money i am still waiting to frame most of them. although i don't have any more room on my wall. :)

Not that these "limited run" posters will ever be worth more than we paid for them, or enough over the face value....but boarding a poster is similar to laminating a hockey card: the value is completely gone.

If its got a signature by the artist, the band or a hand numbered run I would NOT board them. Just my .02

S

We use Bank Street Framing all the time for our posters.

Usually get it done for $69.99, however, I think that involves "boarding", but we don't care because we are never going to sell them because they mean to much to us. I think they range from $69.99 (the basics) to about $200 (which includes the special glass, etc, etc)

Michaels Craft store just had a big sale 60% off framing...not sure what their prices are like. Plus they have a huge variety of frames if you want to just pick a frame and do it yourself. And last week all frames were 40% off (I think the one at the TrainYards has the best variety)

Good luck

If its got a signature by the artist, the band or a hand numbered run I would NOT board them. Just my .02

S

I have dozens of limited edition concert prints and have been getting them framed ever-so-slowly over the years: All are framed using UV-protected glass, which I recommend. Posters will fade due to sunlight, so UV protection is a must. As chains go, Michaels does a good job with framing. I look at concert posters as art, so getting quality framing (and frames) is important.

i would never board anything of potential value. we used to use bank street framing (assuming that's that the place downtown, near laurier). pictures plus has better pricing, i believe. they specialize in framing posters. we used michaels once and found it expensive actually, and returned to bank street for future framing jobs.

To clear up some confusion, Bank Street Framing is at Bank and First in the Glebe.

I've used them and the quality is excellent but the price was more than I was expecting (first time getting stuff framed). Perhaps I got a good deal, I dunno.

If its got a signature by the artist' date=' the band or a hand numbered run I would NOT board them. Just my .02[/quote']

I have dozens of limited edition concert prints and have been getting them framed ever-so-slowly over the years: All are framed using UV-protected glass, which I recommend. Posters will fade due to sunlight, so UV protection is a must. As chains go, Michaels does a good job with framing. I look at concert posters as art, so getting quality framing (and frames) is important.

some good advice here. having a print drymounted will ruin the value. that's the only absolute here. NEVER drymount a limited edition print. NEVER. EVER. NO. DON'T DO IT.

everything else is relative and sky's the limit. i would also advise: UV glass, matting to prevent contact with glass, acid-free matting, museum quality framing (taped to backside of matting using acid-free linen tape). also if the print is rolled now, NEVER backroll it (force roll it the other way). allow it to relax on its own or gently place clean glasses on the corners to hold it flat to relax. a good framing place will do this. personally, i would not trust any chain store. i would have it framed at a local independent place.

that said, i have drymounted many unlimited prints. plaque-mounted on hard board. if the poster is just a $30 printing press version or even a litho, not signed, not numbered, then plaqueing is fine, I think.

I wouldn't plaque either - not because of the value, but because over time and moves everything I've done that way got chewed ears a little.

At pscychedlic shoppe (google it) they do frames that don't use glass - its a sealant overtomp. Well they don't do them, they get it done that way. I have a few of those and like them. Maybe not if you're investing, but if you're just enjoying...