Lady Gaga Question...

Ms Zimmy

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound like me.

When I was 18.

I made up all kinds of unbreakable rules about what music could and couldn't do if I were going to listen to it. Drum machines? Fuck that. Country music? No fucking way. Elements of anything resembling hip-hop? Who the fuck do you think I am? Anything that could possibly even scrape the deepest depths of the charts or get played on pop radio? Fuuuuuuuuck.

I missed out on all kinds of good stuff at the time. Thankfully, I grew up.

Ah...I went through the trouble of logging on here because I wanted to post pretty much exactly what you said, Hamilton! So yeah, ditto.

When Nirvana came out I listened to the first half of Teen Spirit and totally dissed them as another mindless power-chord idiot trio. Shortly after Kurt died I discovered their genius and will always regret not seeeing them live.

That's when I decided I will always try and listen hard to the music before I diss it. For example I have been dissing Bieber as of late after hearing his My World cd, but after talking with a student last night I've agreed to give the acoustic album a listen. I hope to change my mind, as I would prefer to like music as to hate it.

By the way, a free ticket to Green Day at the Civic Centre years ago made me a fan of a band I had given little time to.

Doesn't always work. After seeing DMB and Santana I still think they're both lame.

You sound like me.

When I was 18.

I made up all kinds of unbreakable rules about what music could and couldn't do if I were going to listen to it. Drum machines? Fuck that. Country music? No fucking way. Elements of anything resembling hip-hop? Who the fuck do you think I am? Anything that could possibly even scrape the deepest depths of the charts or get played on pop radio? Fuuuuuuuuck.

I missed out on all kinds of good stuff at the time. Thankfully' date=' I grew up.[/quote']

Ah...I went through the trouble of logging on here because I wanted to post pretty much exactly what you said, Hamilton! So yeah, ditto.

Assuming that someone who dislikes lady gaga also dislikes drum machines, hip-hop, country music, and anything that's popular isn't very fair. Just sayin.

edit to add: I get what your saying Hamilton, but I went through much the same, and I'm still not drawn to *most* popular music though. I don't think its me being stubborn either, it just usually doesn't appeal to me.

Edited by Guest

You sound like me.

When I was 18.

I missed out on all kinds of good stuff at the time. Thankfully' date=' I grew up.[/quote']

Assuming that someone who dislikes lady gaga also dislikes drum machines, hip-hop, country music, and anything that's popular isn't very fair. Just sayin.

edit to add: I get what your saying Hamilton, but I went through much the same, and I'm still not drawn to *most* popular music though. I don't think its me being stubborn either, it just usually doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks, you're explaining my position better than I was able to. I can like or dislike whoever I want for whatever reason I want. It's not immature at all, more experience than anything. As a matter of fact I probably liked more Pop music when I was 18 than I do now (which is basically none of it), cuz then, I had no idea how to go about finding the music that I actually liked or might like. I had nothing but popular media to tell me what to like. Damn, I was 18 when I got my first CD player and all I wanted to do then was buy Led Zeppelin and Stones CDs. The World Wide Web was just a grey screen with text running on Netscape beta edition.

I'm not saying I'm really drawn to an awful lot of popular music either, nor am I saying anything particular about Lady Gaga - just that music should be heard without prejudice *before* arriving at a decision about whether it is any good or not. I was really just reacting to what I perceived as boiler rat's automatic rejection of something based on the simple fact that it was mainstream and that it therefore broke what a rule for acceptability.

I personally think her music is total shyte, no matter what the medium. She'll disappear as quickly as she exploded and she'll be out back of the Steak and Shake with Christina Aguilera, and Pink turnin' tricks for nickles.

Pink has morphed or is morphing into an artist with substance; I don't like her music, but I think she's a good role model for young girls/women. And I think she`ll a great job in the upcoming Janice Joplin bio-pic.

Christina`s career was ruined because of Gaga. She turned outrageous up 10 notches higher than Christina ever did or could. Gaga isn`t going anywhere. She`s more like a new Madonna or Cher. She may be an imitator over an innovator, but the former seems to work pretty well.

I personally think her music is total shyte' date=' no matter what the medium. She'll disappear as quickly as she exploded and she'll be out back of the Steak and Shake with Christina Aguilera, and Pink turnin' tricks for nickles. [/quote']

Pink has morphed or is morphing into an artist with substance; I don't like her music, but I think she's a good role model for young girls/women. And I think she`ll a great job in the upcoming Janice Joplin bio-pic.

Christina`s career was ruined because of Gaga. She turned outrageous up 10 notches higher than Christina ever did or could. Gaga isn`t going anywhere. She`s more like a new Madonna or Cher. She may be an imitator over an innovator, but the former seems to work pretty well.

Did you just seriously analyze that statement? It was in pure jest and you just nerded that shit up like a pro. Good job.