Jambands.ca

Police question

Velvet

Just heard the news report on police from all over the place convening in Toronto to honour the fallen officer there. It seems whenever an officer dies on the job this always happens.

My question is this: do the officers do this out-of-pocket or is there a fund to help officers pay for travelling and attending these memorials?

I read an article in today's T.O. Star about this. In it, it said that the travelling expenses are usually paid for by the local union the officers are travelling from. It also said that, in this case, The Calgary Police are paying to send 4 Calgary cops to the service.

what about when a construction worker dies? no procession down university ave? why for cops? i feel bad for his family, but people die on the job everyday!!!! why is this such a big deal? because hes a cop? again im sympathetic to his family, but 4hr tv coverage of a funeral procession? what about the soldiers that die everyday. they have a big service, but not 4 hr tv coverage. this man/woman, died fighting for our country!! this cop just busts people, probably for the most part, for speeding or smoking a "J". i think the person who gave their life for our country should get more recognition, than a police officer. sorry but its just my beliefs.

Many cops put their lives on the line almost every day. Same with firemen and soldiers. There are many big funerals for soldiers and nothing, and I repeat nothing, beats The Highway of Heroes procession. I'm assuming wooks will line up in Woodstock-like numbers when their guru, Wavy Gravy, leaves this earth for good.

this cop just busts people, probably for the most part, for speeding or smoking a "J".

You're absolutely right Dave... he never put his life on the line for other citizens,for our protection. When was the last time you got in front of a crazed person who stole a snow plough that was careening all over town in the early hours of the morning.

Thanks for the insightful post. Very thoughtfelt too. As a citizen of Toronto my heartfelt thanks go out to Sgt. Russell, his family and the entire Police force.

I have a close family member who is a police officer and the stories he tells would scare the living daylights out of you. I'd definitely be running away those scenes and he runs into them.

Aside from the stuff he has had to deal with mentally from the disgusting things he's seen, he's also had three significant injuries: from a car accident; from breaking up a fight and from taking down an aggressive freak (which happens all the time but he doesn't always get hurt).

That dangerous and mostly thankless job is worth every dime he gets paid and every respect we can give him.

It's also cool when he shows up on Christmas day in his uniform. ;o)

I'm torn. On one hand you have good cops that are good people that day in and day out try to uphold all that cops are supposed to stand for....and on the other hand you have heavy handed ex-highschool jock meathead fucking brutes that only became cops because there's no one to bully after high school. The G20 has me hating not trusting cops more than ever before.

Edited by Guest
Hate's a strong word.

I'm torn. On one hand you have good cops that are good people that day in and day out try to uphold all that cops are supposed to stand for....and on the other hand you have heavy handed ex-highschool jock meathead fucking brutes that only became cops because there's no one to bully after high school. The G20 has me hating cops more than ever before.

that's like saying, on the one hand you have decent honest jews, but on the other hand you have fucking money grubbing jews who live only to steal and rob you blind. it ignore the fact that while some of the latter do exist, the vast majority are of the former type. just sayin'

That's a ridiculous analogy. I think what sets the police apart as group to be judged is that they have the power to remove an individual from society, and they have guns. With great power comes great responsibility. I have no problem holding them to a higher standard based on this.

I'm torn. On one hand you have good cops that are good people that day in and day out try to uphold all that cops are supposed to stand for....and on the other hand you have heavy handed ex-highschool jock meathead fucking brutes that only became cops because there's no one to bully after high school. The G20 has me hating cops more than ever before.

that's like saying' date=' on the one hand you have decent honest jews, but on the other hand you have fucking money grubbing jews who live only to steal and rob you blind. it ignore the fact that while some of the latter do exist, the vast majority are of the former type. just sayin'

[/quote']

No. It isn't. Not even close. What brought you to such a racist analogy from what I typed?

that's like saying' date=' on the one hand you have decent honest jews, but on the other hand you have fucking money grubbing jews who live only to steal and rob you blind. it ignore the fact that while some of the latter do exist, the vast majority are of the former type. just sayin'

[/quote']

Totally asinine and inflammatory.

Just sayin'.

• 2 weeks later...

Higher standards for cops are absolutely necessary, do they exist?

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/article/882725--siu-cases-unequal-justice-for-the-police

The Toronto Star published an article almost 2 years ago that showed according to their own stats Metro Police are racist when it comes to who they pull over. Police brutality is still a common occurrence across this country and should not be swept under the rug. However, cops that engage in this are almost always the minority and we should not rush to pass judgment on the whole force. BUT, that doesn't mean we shouldn't remain questioning and skeptical about police activity. Hold them to that standard and maybe give the SIU just a bit more independence.

here's another example of police arrogance on a more simple matter of public space.

http://www.thestar.com/news/fixer/article/910608--the-fixer-no-overtime-parking-tickets-for-police-cars

Police are doing what most of us refuse to and cannot do, police ourselves. I want that cop out there protecting me, but I also want oversight and accountability for that level of authority I've given them. At the moment in Toronto, I don't think that accountability and oversight are AS effective as they could be.

And let's make no mistake, being a cop attracts a certain type personality and unfortunately leads to ridiculous (and obvious) abuses of power - see G20, FTAA Quebec City, being black or Native in Canada.

Police brutality is still a common occurrence across this country and should not be swept under the rug. However, cops that engage in this are almost always the minority and we should not rush to pass judgment on the whole force.

Then why aren't the majority of police officers just as interested in rooting out this behaviour? I'm thinking there is a lot of tolerance going on within the force for this type of behaviour to exist.