Jambands.ca

Stereo System Help

AD

OK this might be a dumb question but I can't figure it out.

My stereo system, which I've set up and torn down many times, has an issue that I can't solve.

It's an older (mid-90s) Pioneer amplifier, and there are in-channels for TV/DVD, CD (which I use for Blu-ray), LD/SAT (which I use for another DVD player), Phono (record player), Tape (not used). T

he issue is that the volume level for the TV/DVD channel is low compared to the channels for Blu-ray (in the CD channel) and other DVD player (in the LD/SAT channel.) Any ideas on why the audio level is so different between these devices? I know the different channels have different set ups for the type of device (phono vs dvd is quite different) but I've had my system set up the same way before with only two changes - the TV is different, and the Blu-ray player has been added.

Did I explain this OK?

Synopsis - new TV, added Blu-ray, everything else identical (maybe different RCA cable though) and TV volume is much lower than volume coming from DVD / Blu-ray players.

One other thing - I have a media streamer (WD Live Hub) connected via HDMI to the TV using the same audio out from the tv to the amplifier - it's a normal volume and matches the levels of the DVD / Blu-ray. Same RCA cables. So is it just the levels coming into my TV cable box that are low? Is the problem mine or Rogers'?

Phew. Bueller?

Yes, it's probably that the cable box has a variable audio output and the volume on the box itself is down.

There may be a way in the settings of the box itself to change it from variable to fixed audio output but if not then crank it up all the way or close to and you should have similar levels to the rest of your gear. Check if the volume coming out of the stereo changes when you raise and lower the volume on the Rogers box and if so then that's it.

or try plugging it into the Tape In if it is empty now.

many older receivers often have differentials in expected signal strengths depending on the device. most turntables, for example, have a built in pre-amp and a receiver expects a hotter signal from a turn table compared to a cd player, so it does not amplify that signal as much.

just switch the INs around and see what happens.

Phono will be the only one with a difference in level and tone - all the rest are line-level and will be identical. Easiest way to test it is swap the cables on the blueray/TV player inputs - does the volume decrease follow the cable swap? if so its the TV/cablebox output volume...if the blueray is now quieter, its the input on the receiver.

There may be a way in the settings of the box itself to change it from variable to fixed audio output

Ding ding ding!! Switching from variable to fixed audio output did the trick. Thank you!

There are volume buttons on the front of your cable box.

There aren't volume buttons on the front of my cable box, for the record.