Jambands.ca

Who is Arcade Fire??!!?

peipunk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pissed at those fucking distracting bike-riding pinko commies driving all over the stage during the first Arcade Fire performances - plus those punishing strobe-lights were an assualt to the senses and would cause seizures to the feignt of heart. I enjoyed the impromtu "Ready to Start", that is, until the director started to roll the billboards and credits in mid song. Still, for once, the best album actually won for Best Album.

I finally picked this album up, and I have to admit I don't get what the big fuss is all about. It might just be me and my 'pedestrianism' but...meh, it was just ok for me. Some cool presumably Bowie inspired moments, but just not melodic enough for my tastes.

Well, I didn't want to be the first one to say it, so thanks edger. I've given a few albums a try. It's not just you.

Same here. I don't think they are bad, but I am not as ecstatic about them as some are. However, I did see them live at Bluesfest and thoroughly enjoyed the show, was great set.

However, I am excited for them to win such high praise as oppose to the manufactured rubbish. Same applies to Esmerelda. They are honest musicians, and that integrity is something that was lacking in the bulk of these award shows. Hopefully, and it has already started to, this will spark a change.

I finally picked this album up' date=' and I have to admit I don't get what the big fuss is all about. It might just be me and my 'pedestrianism' but...meh, it was just ok for me. Some cool presumably Bowie inspired moments, but just not melodic enough for my tastes.[/quote']

Well, I didn't want to be the first one to say it, so thanks edger. I've given a few albums a try. It's not just you.

I finally picked this album up' date=' and I have to admit I don't get what the big fuss is all about. It might just be me and my 'pedestrianism' but...meh, it was just ok for me. Some cool presumably Bowie inspired moments, but just not melodic enough for my tastes.[/quote']

Chalk me down as one. Would't be so bad either if I wasn't constantly being told how magnificant they are.

It's funny, I was eating lunch with a co-worker today and out of the blue he says "You know that band that won the grammy, who are they? Arcade Fire, I never even heard of them."

I love the Arcade Fire also, what they do on stage is incredible. Listening to Neon Bible is what sold it to me.

Edited by Guest

Chalk me down as one. Would't be so bad either if I wasn't constantly being told how magnificant they are.

I second that emotion. I haven't seen them live but the songs i have heard from them don't really make me want to go see them. I guess the grammy recognition is good but from what I hear they should have won for one of their last 2 albums instead.

I guess that's it right there - Ad's post (sorry Ad, not picking on you at all). When I hear "masterpiece" I expect more. I know its all subjective, but if what I hear from Arcade Fire is generally accepted as a "masterpice'- as it seems to be these days- then I say there is a shitload of masterpieces out there. And it doesn't end with music. The sofa Im sitting on right now? It was sent from the heavens.

sorry Ad, not picking on you at all

No worries, I understand your point completely.

I said it was their masterpiece. Lots of great times listening to that record. Solid from front to back. Super catchy. Great musically. Lyrics are good too. Local connection. Pretty sure I could hum every melody on that album, and air-drum every fill.

Not the best album ever made, but I've sure got some great memories and stories that it's a central part of.

You don't have to share my opinion and it would be weird if you did. But that's how I feel. That's what listening to music is all about.

They just look like they're having so much fun all the time. Fun is infectious. Unless your just a cranky old fuddleywop then sure, hate on them if you like but all I have to say to that is "stop being such a cranky ass."

To use the word visionaries would be kinda lame, but they do seem to have a pretty clear vision, in a fun, free sorta way. There's just so much going on when they're making music, it's hard to keep up until you just let it go.

Edited by Guest