Jambands.ca

Who is Arcade Fire??!!?

peipunk

Super catchy. Great musically. Lyrics are good too. Local connection. Pretty sure I could hum every melody on that album.

Well if vibrations move through our ear canals the same way, then perhaps I should give this one a try. Mind you I would not use these words to describe Suburbs whatsoever.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love this band, was so proud of them to take home a Grammy. In a funny way, I hope it doesn't end up slighting their career.

Funeral was an instant classic the first time I heard it. Neon Bible I might have listened to three times and haven't taken it off the shelf for ages. But I think The Suburbs is an astonishing piece of work, totally deserving of the praise. Every once in a blue moon, true art and the mainstream align themselves, so enjoy this while you can folks because pretty soon you're just gonna want to slap Booche in his stupid fish face all over again.

They just look like they're having so much fun all the time. Fun is infectious. Unless your just a cranky old fuddleywop then sure, hate on them if you like but all I have to say to that is "stop being such a cranky ass."

I'm not quite sure I understand this. I really don't see any "hate" going on here at all, just a differing personal taste & opinion. So Arcade Fire are having fun on stage, awesome. Bands like new kids on the block, black eyed peas, Celine Dion etc. all look like they are/were having a fun onstage as well from what I've seen - in fact, I'm hard pressed to think of any band up on stage making boat loads of money, doing something they love NOT having fun when they play (ok, maybe GnR is an exception). That's just not enough for me to love, or even enjoy the music.

I guess what I'm really curious about is, why is a differing opinion, or taste in music considered "hating on" or being a "cranky ass" or is this just one of those situations where it's love the band or keep your mouth shut? (much like we've seen with Phish or The Slip around here) Honestly, I have all three of their albums on my computer, all due to the accolades I've read here, and quite honestly, with no offense to anyone, nor the band but I find most of their music to sound the same - I wish I could elaborate further, but I won't for fear of sounding like I am trashing them - which is not my intention here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see a Canadian band get the grammy, and more importantly, a band not seemingly created by some wise ass record exec sitting in an office - but album of the year? Can't say I hear it, but good for them.

^^^^^^

what he said ;)

The thing that i find most puzzling is the fact that so many people I know, and with whom I tend to share general musical tastes, just love these guys. I remember when I was at the first Vegoose and my buddies went to see Arcade Fire instead of Widespread Panic, I thought that they were nuts.

but hey, mileage varies.

I did think that the make your own video for the Suburbs was kind of cool. but the song just didn't catch on with me.

no hate here.

but they still suck ;)

(I group them with Broken Social Scene. I really love much jamband music, and have always been into "alternative" music as well, but these are two bands that do absolutely nothing for me. and hey - more tickets for you who do like them, and more room for me to dance at a widespread panic show!)

I finally picked this album up, and I have to admit I don't get what the big fuss is all about. It might just be me and my 'pedestrianism' but...meh, it was just ok for me. Some cool presumably Bowie inspired moments, but just not melodic enough for my tastes.

I totally agree. I am glad that a band that actually plays music rather than presses play (I'm looking at you Bieber, Gaga, Drake, Usher) won something, but I find the music pretty average and unmemorable. I just don't find there's any rteal groove or cool textures or anything I can grtab on to as a listener.

My 2 cents.

I feel the same way reharding Broken Social Scene and Alexis on Fire too.

Edited by Guest

I haven't had the time to research it but I'm curious what the Arcade Fire and Spaulding wins say about the Grammy voters besides what seems like an obvious backlash against youtube and twitter metrics being equated with talent. Likewise though Lady Antebellum beat out some strong contenders (almost all hip hop) for song or performance of the year in a kind of quizzical move- I'm not sure who's performance of the year that represents except maybe another bias of the voters towards New Country and successful radio outings.

I haven't had the time to research it but I'm curious what the Arcade Fire and Spaulding wins say about the Grammy voters besides what seems like an obvious backlash against youtube and twitter metrics being equated with talent. Likewise though Lady Antebellum beat out some strong contenders (almost all hip hop) for song or performance of the year in a kind of quizzical move- I'm not sure who's performance of the year that represents except maybe another bias of the voters towards New Country and successful radio outings.

It looks like the NARAS are hedging their bets. On one hand they're attempting to appear cool and relevant by opposing the mainstream bullshit by voting for AF and Esperanza while at the same time continuing to suckle at the teat of record companies and continuing to reward auto tuned lipsync'd pablum for the masses.

But hey, at least AF got a Grammy out of NARAS's current bio-polar disorder

As for Lady Antebellum, it looks like new country is the hot genre these days, just look at all the country folks in the list of top money makers.

http://www.billboard.com/#/features/music-s-top-40-money-makers-2011-1005031152.story?page=2

^^^^^^

what he said ;)

The thing that i find most puzzling is the fact that so many people I know' date=' and with whom I tend to share general musical tastes, just love these guys. I remember when I was at the first Vegoose and my buddies went to see Arcade Fire instead of Widespread Panic, I thought that they were nuts.

but hey, mileage varies.

I did think that the make your own video for the Suburbs was kind of cool. but the song just didn't catch on with me.

no hate here.

but they still suck ;)

(I group them with Broken Social Scene. I really love much jamband music, and have always been into "alternative" music as well, but these are two bands that do absolutely nothing for me. and hey - more tickets for you who do like them, and more room for me to dance at a widespread panic show!)

[/quote']

Your Vegoose friends made the right choice. I think the same regarding WSP. I find them numbingly boring (I've tried for years to get into them, even during the tail-end of the Michael Houser era).

I'm with you on BSS. I've tried to like them, but their albums are uneven and their newest release is a snoozefest. I do find their live performances really good though.

They just look like they're having so much fun all the time. Fun is infectious. Unless your just a cranky old fuddleywop then sure' date=' hate on them if you like but all I have to say to that is "stop being such a cranky ass."[/quote']

I'm not quite sure I understand this. I really don't see any "hate" going on here at all, just a differing personal taste & opinion. So Arcade Fire are having fun on stage, awesome. Bands like new kids on the block, black eyed peas, Celine Dion etc. all look like they are/were having a fun onstage as well from what I've seen - in fact, I'm hard pressed to think of any band up on stage making boat loads of money, doing something they love NOT having fun when they play (ok, maybe GnR is an exception). That's just not enough for me to love, or even enjoy the music.

I guess what I'm really curious about is, why is a differing opinion, or taste in music considered "hating on" or being a "cranky ass" or is this just one of those situations where it's love the band or keep your mouth shut? (much like we've seen with Phish or The Slip around here) Honestly, I have all three of their albums on my computer, all due to the accolades I've read here, and quite honestly, with no offense to anyone, nor the band but I find most of their music to sound the same - I wish I could elaborate further, but I won't for fear of sounding like I am trashing them - which is not my intention here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see a Canadian band get the grammy, and more importantly, a band not seemingly created by some wise ass record exec sitting in an office - but album of the year? Can't say I hear it, but good for them.

I don't think my comment was meant to be taken all that seriously. I don't know, I'm pretty sure I was under the influence at the time. Anyway, they're a fun band to watch and listen to, for me. I'm not trying to twist any arms. Stop being so cranky :drinks: :drinks: