Jambands.ca

The Tragically Hip

Big Wooly Mammoth

this showed up in my inbox this afternoon:

Hi Folks,

It's been a long time running. It's been a long time coming.

On Monday morning there will be a special announcement that will be of particular interest to our Toronto area fans. Registered Users of thehip.com will have special buying opportunities in connection with this announcement.

For our fans everywhere else, do not worry, there will be more announcements in the coming weeks for more summer fun.

Stay tuned to thehip.com, facebook and twitter for all the news.

See you in the summer!

The Hip

Daniel Lanois performed prior to the Hips set at Molson Park in Barrie.

I'm not positive but I think it was in July of 95- at the second go round of Another Roadside Attraction.

While its pretty obvious that putting Lanois on before the Hip was a mis match- the suburnt and drunk crowd let Dan have it. "Hip, Hip, Hip" chants throughout his first few songs and when he didn't vacate the stage the bottles started to fly. Hundreds of them hit the stage and Lanois eventually had to leave before really finishing.

I forget exactly what Gord said when he took the stage but he didn't pull any punches letting the rowdy crowd that their behaviour was embarrassing and inexcuseable. I'm pretty sure they then opened with 'Thugs'.

actually, it was at markham fairgrounds.

i totally missed that. I think i was wandering around, for some inexplicable reason, during Lanois' set.

97 was at molson park. with los lobos (i patched into the board for a recording), sheryl crowe, and ??

asshole security wouldn't let us take in our thermarests and chair conversion kits.

97 was at molson park. with los lobos (i patched into the board for a recording)' date=' sheryl crowe, and ?? [/quote']

a little band called wilco, an up and coming singer songwriter named ron sexsmith, a flashy east-coast dancer named ashley macisaac ...

That's a doozy of a lineup!

I can't believe that happened to Lanois. Brutal.

1995 was The Tragically Hip, Ziggy Marley & The Melody Makers, Spirit Of The West, Blues Traveler, Matthew Sweet, Rheostatics, Eric's Trip, The Inbreds

1997 was Wilco, Los Lobos, Change Of Heart, The Mutton Birds, Ron Sexsmith, Van Allen Belt, Ashley MacIssac, Sheryl Crow

I was at that Roadside '97.

BWM - do you still have that recording????

I have it somewhere. still on the master cassette. I need to make a digital copy. Is there a relatively easy way of hooking up my computer to my stereo and doing that? alternatively I've been meaning to borrow a standalone CD player/burner for that purpose.

actually, it was at markham fairgrounds.

i totally missed that. I think i was wandering around, for some inexplicable reason, during Lanois' set.

97 was at molson park. with los lobos (i patched into the board for a recording), sheryl crowe, and ??

asshole security wouldn't let us take in our thermarests and chair conversion kits.

The event I am speaking of definitely took place at Molson Park in Barrie, but according to this listing it was not a ARA but rather a Canada Day show:

Treble Charger, The Mahones, Eric's Trip, Change of Heart, The Rheostatics, Jane Siberry, The Odds, Spirit of the West, Daniel Lanois, The Tragically Hip - Fri July 1, 1994, Molson Park, Barrie, Ont.