Jambands.ca

Send vibes to Japan

Jaimoe

I'm not religious, so I'm sending out vibes to my best pal Alan and his young family in Tokyo - and vibes to Japan in general (my cousin David lives in Kyoto, but luckily he's in New Zealand; I have a few other friends there that I believe are doing ok).

Al works for Asahi News and had to leave work in a rush early this morning due to the nuclear plant explosion. I haven't heard from him since, but it's late there.

Al, me, Booche and Davey Boy are long-time friends and we all went to public and high school together and Davey Boy, Al and I grew up on the same cul-de-sac in Kingston. Our parents (minus my late father) are all still neighbours.

Guest Low Roller

The footage I saw on TV is completely incomprehensible. I can't imagine the horror of having an entire city wiped out in an instant. The aftershocks continue, and the threat of a nuclear meltdown is very real at this point.

Add Japan to the list of countries that have been severely devastated in recent times. The scary thing is that we are becoming numb to it. Compare the number of benefit concerts for Haiti versus the ones for Pakistan. The human tragedy unfolding should not be lost on us, and we should, at the very least, be very thankful for everything that we have.

I know what you mean Jaimoe but the last thing Japan needs at this point is more vibes!

Bless Charlie Sheen for cutting through the usual celebrity treacle with his take on things:

Curveball; Warlock edict; pain & devastation in Japan demands us all to dig deep & LOVE THEM VIOLENTLY Dogspeed my cadres of the Far East!

My friend Al, as of last night, is doing ok. He's been working through all of this (Asahi Daily News), but is getting scared regarding the nuclear plant. And in typical Al fashion, he's pissed at the Japanese physicist "liars" and politicians, the latter he knows to be crooked. He's also been craving getting drunk due to stress.

You can send your thoughts and prayers if you like. I don't believe in prayer' date=' so positive feeling vibe works for me.[/quote']

think about what you're sending...to a place that just had a major EARTHQUAKE.

C'mon Mike. It's just a saying. Do whatever you want.

I'm glad to hear that Dave's out of the fray, Jaimoe; I haven't heard from him in a little while.

It's unbelievable what's going on there, and it's not just the tragedies that have already happened. "The threat of multiple nuclear reactor meltdowns" isn't one of those phrases one runs across every day.

Dave is a survivor. He was in Phuket in 2004 when the tsunami hit. We didn't hear from him for nearly a week: my family, including me, thought he was dead. He finally answered my email, not knowing the graveness of the situation; he was not in the immediate area and didn't have access to news outlets or any computers. Even if he were in Kyoto, he'd be ok because the city is located inland.

Japan Facing Biggest Catastrophe since Dawn of Nuclear Age

AMY GOODMAN: Japan is facing its biggest catastrophe since the dawn of the nuclear age, when the U.S. dropped two nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In the wake of the massive earthquake and tsunami Friday, a second explosion has hit a Japanese nuclear plant. Monday’s explosion, caused by a hydrogen buildup, blew the roof off a containment building at Fukushima Daiichi’s reactor 3, two days after a blast hit reactor 1. Eleven people were injured in the blast.

Officials say the reactor core inside was undamaged, but now a third reactor at the plant has lost its cooling system, and news agencies are reporting a meltdown of the fuel rods cannot be ruled out.

While Japanese officials are playing down any health risk, Pentagon officials reported Sunday helicopters flying 60 miles from the plant picked up small amounts of radioactive particulates, suggesting widening environmental contamination. And the U.S. Navy moved one of its aircraft carriers from the area after detecting low-level radiation 100 miles offshore. The New York Times reports radioactive releases of steam from the crippled plants could go on for weeks or even months. Tens of thousands of people have been evacuated from the area around the plant. At least 22 people have tested positive for radiation exposure, with the number expected to rise.

Technicians have been battling to cool reactors at the plant since Friday. They’re using an untested method of pouring in a mixture of seawater and boric acid. Re-establishing normal cooling of the reactors would require restoring electric power, which was cut in the earthquake and tsunami and now may require plant technicians working in areas that have become highly contaminated with radioactivity.

The New York Times reports, quote, "In a country where memories of a nuclear horror of a different sort in the last days of World War II weigh heavily on the national psyche and national politics, the impact of continued venting of long-lasting radioactivity from the plants is hard to overstate."

(Interesting, and unnerving, interviews follow.)

I feel for everyone in Japan right now.

I have two friends that are there on teaching contracts, that were evacuated to higher ground.

The plan was for them to move back here in September once the contracts are up but everything is pretty much destroyed where they are so they are coming back as soon as they can fly out.

I'll send everyone vibes, prayers, whatever they need right now.