Jambands.ca

St. Patrick's Day pet peeve

thatpatguy

I'm not going to get into the history of St. Patrick's day anything like that (cuz that would be a whole rant in and of itself). I just need to vent how much it bugs me to see people spell it "St. Patty's Day".

Here comes the lesson...

Patty is short for Patricia, Paddy is short for Patrick (from the Irish name Pádraig).

Any time you see it spelled "St. Patty's Day" they are really saying "St. Patricia's Day".

ok.. end rant.. sorry.. but that really gets under my skin.

Guest Low Roller

My pet peeve about the day is the irony of celebrating the bishop who brought Christianity to Ireland in near pagan fashion around the world.

Fun fact: Why is the shamrock the symbol of Ireland? Patrick used the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity, and has been associated with him and the Irish since that time.

My pet peeve about the day is the irony of celebrating the bishop who brought Christianity to Ireland in near pagan fashion around the world.

Fun fact: Why is the shamrock the symbol of Ireland? Patrick used the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity, and has been associated with him and the Irish since that time.

and a bishop of Roman blood who grew up in Scotland!

Guest Low Roller

Fun fact: Why is the shamrock the symbol of Ireland? Patrick used the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity' date=' and has been associated with him and the Irish since that time.

[/quote']

and a bishop of Roman blood who grew up in Scotland!

Double irony!