Jambands.ca

Official Bluesfest 2011 Lineup

Freeker

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Severe weather hit the stage as Cheap Trick was performing at the Ottawa Bluesfest tonight. The stage blew down and collapsed. Everyone is shaken up but band and crew are all fine.

Cheap Trick hopes that everyone who attended the show is also ok.

Robin says “Fortunately the band and crew are all lucky to be alive and we’ll see you down the road. And all the best to our truck driver Sandy.â€

IMG_0682-550.jpg

IMG_0680-1-550.jpg

IMG_0693_2-550.jpg

looks like 24h didn't read the news this morning and ran with their pre-canned story.
And taking down the main stage—the 50-foot high MBNA stage— takes 500 man-hours and is hauled back to its Montreal home on five big rigs

yes, right after death cab for cutie played their last notes.

someone was asleep at the wheel.

just saw a press conference. 3 injures - all now released from hospital.

So it sounds like the reports from the paramedics was incorrect. Good to know.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1026329--stage=1

One man is in life-threatening condition after a stage collapsed at the Ottawa Bluesfest Sunday night during a severe thunderstorm.

A 46-year-old man was taken to hospital after a piece of the stage pierced his stomach, according to Ottawa paramedics. The man also had a fractured leg and pelvis.

Refunds will be available.

Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest executive director Mark Monahan said holders of day passes to Sunday's shows would have three options for their tickets:

1 - Exchange the ticket for a day pass to next year's Bluesfest, once the lineups have been announced.

2 - Exchange the ticket next week (July 25 - 30) for a day pass at the Ottawa Folk Festival, which runs from August 25 to 28.

3 - Get a full refund of the ticket.

At least the evacuation plan seemed to go smoothly.....good on em for that.

I'm not impressed otherwise and wonder whether the fest is going to be sued into the stoneage. The first time I saw the big stage there a few years ago I said it would come down in a big storm.....in fact the same company had one come down a few years ago in Quebec....it's a relatively cheap stage.....put up by cheap labour.....signed off on by an uncertified rigger.....I think we talked about this in a thread about the stage collapsing out west last year....

Granted it was a strong wind but that is what you should prepare for.....the big stage we build on Parliament Hill for example would not have collapsed-there's always some ugliness from a big storm like that and you should clear the deck and clean up after.....not have the whole thing collapse....

They should have had warning that this thing was approaching as well and not have waited until the stage was falling down to take the next step.....they made some bad decisions there that may cost them......as fate would have it luckily nobody was killed which is a miracle!

from Karl denson's FB:

"Our set got canceled in Ottawa today. We were setting up the stage when a huge black cloud and 140km winds suddenly came in. We were all moved inside the nearby museum. Kinda scary... and dig this....The main stage was blown over while Cheap Trick was playing. Luckily no one was hurt. "Oh Canada"

.....I heard the Ministry of Labour may keep the wreckage in place for up to two weeks to investigate...not a good sign if you're Mark Monahan.....who knows though...there is such diverse info coming in from different angles....in today's industry there is no pardon given for having hoped for the best and having thought you probably did enough....

At least the evacuation plan seemed to go smoothly.....good on em for that.

What was their evacuation plan exactly? People just started leaving of their own volition as soon as the stage collapsed. Most everyone around me was confused and had no idea where to go or what to do. It wasn't until I got back on the grounds (because the rain had stopped) about 20 minutes after the collapse that an official told us to leave.

I'm not being critical at all, I just think the crowd itself deserves credit for being so level headed. Is it more the other stages where they had to enact an evacuation plan? That would make sense as the immediate urgency to leave probably wasn't the same.

They should have had warning that this thing was approaching as well and not have waited until the stage was falling down to take the next step.....they made some bad decisions there that may cost them......as fate would have it luckily nobody was killed which is a miracle!

From what I've read, the warning was issued within an hour of it's approach by enviroment canada. However, i am surprised that Monahan had to monitor the weather himself when there's a weather warning issuing department. I think that they made the right calls to evacuate when they did and limited the risk of injury. It wasn't so much fate as it was effective emergency prepareness.

It wasn't so much fate as it was effective emergency prepareness.

No, it was luck. It was pretty clear for a minute or two before Cheap Trick left the stage that the show was going to be shut down. Speakers were cutting out and the band was still playing. I think they really pushed their luck in waiting, literally, until the last second to make the call.

It wasn't so much fate as it was effective emergency prepareness.

No' date=' it was luck. It was pretty clear for a minute or two before Cheap Trick left the stage that the show was going to be shut down. Speakers were cutting out and the band was still playing. I think they really pushed their luck in waiting, literally, until the last second to make the call.[/quote']

The news being released doesn't mention luck. The media spin is that bluesfest did the right thing.