Jambands.ca

Official Bluesfest 2011 Lineup

Freeker

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're probably right that the crowd itself is to be credited....I was going by what they said on the radio as per the evacuation going so well....

All the media spin in the world won't help the organizers when an investigation takes place however when it comes to what happened to the stage and the injuries etc.

An event like this has all the resources to have updated weather info and has only to act on that info. They are obligated to use these resources and it is prudent to be over cautious rather than hoping for the best.

I am saying that they waited too long. In my experience they should have started taking measures such as at least clearing the stage ten minutes (five minutes at the latest) before it hit.....not when the stage was collapsing....this doesn't even take into account the safety of the audience on the field which they are responsible for as well.....

Most everyone around me was confused and had no idea where to go or what to do.
I just think the crowd itself deserves credit for being so level headed.

So which is it? Dumb luck I suppose?

One can be confused and level headed at the same time. Panic would be something entirely different.

The news being released doesn't mention luck. The media spin is that bluesfest did the right thing.

Oh... so you were being facetious?! Sorry' date=' I totally missed that.

[/quote']

Just a little. I think that getting the people cleared from the stage seems like it was the right call at the right time. I'm sure it would have been sooner if there was a real-time report being sent to them about what was actually coming.

I am saying that they waited too long. In my experience they should have started taking measures such as at least clearing the stage ten minutes (five minutes at the latest) before it hit.....not when the stage was collapsing....this doesn't even take into account the safety of the audience on the field which they are responsible for as well.....

I agree on this point, and voiced that exact sentiment to Freaker at the main stage area about 10 minutes before the collapse. It was obvious to me that the music should stop for a while and clear that stage. If they really had someone monitoring this specific weather situation the best thing would have been instead of doing those introductions and letting Cheap Trick start- to advise people then that there was some weather headed our way and that they would resume after that. I know it makes for scheduling nightmares, but this had the potential to be so much worse.

Hindsight'd.

He's right from the mainstage we could see the trees in the distance down by the river bending at a 90 degree angle, that's when we made the move away from the stage.

It was luck for sure not planning, anyone actually there will tell you, no one had a clue what to do and there was no direction from anyone in an official capacity. The second the stage came down you could smell the panic wash over everyone trying to squeeze out of the exit.

That feeling reminded me of The Slip show in MTL when Le Swimming caught on fire(which Sloth started btw)

I'm sure it would have been sooner if there was a real-time report being sent to them about what was actually coming.

I got your real-time weather report right here. ;)

IMG_0680-1-550.jpg

Anyway, I realize this is all talk in hindsight. And I know that the organizers have to be careful what they say publicly because the lawsuits are sure to come.

That's so slanderous! I was in no shape at that Slip show to start anything let alone that fire.

All I know is one minute you were there the next minute you were gone AND you smelled of oily rags AND you do have a penchant for arson. Open and shut case really.

I know I didn't do it because I was too busy dancing to the fire alarm.

"Hey all you Ottawa crew that missed out on the JBT gig yesterday cause of gnarly weather/cancellation. I'm gonna do a short Guerilla Busk at Confederation park at 7 pm tonight . Its across from Lord Elgin Hotel on the corner of Elgin and Slater st. Tell your friends and see you there if you can make it! we'll be somewhere near the fountain. Love, JB

Aloha,

Brad

So... favourite sets? I just ran down the schedule and jotted down the following bands, in order of appearance:

Skrillex

Girl Talk

David Clayton-Thomas

Erykah Badu

Peter Frampton

Protest The Hero

John Fogerty

Baloji

My Morning Jacket

Jane’s Addiction

Lupe Fiasco

Cheap Trick

I'd give MMJ the easy nod as show of the festival and I'd probably include it in my top 10 Bluesfest shows of all time. After that it's a huge drop-off as nothing else blew me away like that but the rest were all enjoyable sets for one reason or another. Especially that last one.

P.S. Lupe Fiasco made it 2 Sundays in a row by putting the popcorn guy in the spotlight again. Unlike Frampton, Lupe bought every bag (including the stick), paid the guy and gave him a tip. Great performer!