Jambands.ca

Official Bluesfest 2011 Lineup

Freeker

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else tried reading some of the bio's listed on the Bluesfest page? Talk about terrible...

Imaginary Cities

Winnipeg is known as the “Heart of the Continent,†a place where there is always new music being made—in its clubs and basements, and in between work and life. Imaginary Cities was born in a club called The Cavern, in between sets. The group, founded in a chance meeting, is now ready to share the fruits of their debut album, Temporary Resident. They are a band that is fast becoming one of Canada's most talked about new bands.

Is that the band that opened for The Pixies? I hated them that night.

I'm not sure if you are questioning the facts, or the quality of the writing but I have this to offer:

The younger and more upstart a band - the more likely you'll read shit like this.

They either had a friend write that for their EPK, or the didn't submit one at all so Bluesfest staff created it themselves.

I wrote at least 10 for the Folk Festival a few years back. Several of which were for bands I had never heard before.

They posted this on FB

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150207562491371&id=9971056370

Time for some Bluesfest trivia.... Who is the Great Escape Artist?

which is Patrick Watson. Not sure if that means he's billed to come. If so...I'll flip my username.

Isn't it a new Jane's Addiction album?

True say. And the fact that they had it in title form (using capital "A" for Artist) indicates that it is more likely the answer.

PW isn't playing too many Ontario shows, or shows at all for that matter until Fall/late Winter (new album 2012, psyched!)

• 2 weeks later...

Heading on up for Week 1 starting tomorrow! Hope to see as many peeps as I can - here's what I'm gunning for...mostly main stage - side stage acts are just icing on this cake! Who's coming to Skrillex with me? AHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHA

Artist Date Time

Flaming Lips July 5 8

Soundgarden July 5 9

Bootsy(maybe) July 5 9:30

Roots July 6 8

Skrillex July 6 9:15

Infected Mushroom(maybe) July 7 7

Girl Talk July 7 8pm

Steve Miller Band July 7 9:30

Black Keys July 8 9:30

Peter Elkas July 9 5:45

Erykah Badu July 9 8pm

Schpongletron!!! July 9 9:30pm

Peter Frampton July 10 6:15

Huey Lewis July 10 8

Perfect Circle(maybe) July 10 9:15

ps...Bootsy was great.

Beer lineups were a nightmare.

Main stage area set up is poorly designed.

Anyone know what the point was to having the two stages like this?

To keep ticketless people from lining up on the sidewalk and getting a free show. It didn't work, they just lined up at the War museum.

And yes, Bootsy was great. Finally got a chance to see Bernie Worrell (I will take their word for it that it was Bernie Worrell, I couldn't see his head for the keyboards).

We got there early last night and had to queue for about 5 minutes to get in but heard it got much worse later on. It was ridiculous to funnel everyone through the bag check point when most people weren't carrying bags and were simply waved through after needlessly navigating all the gates. Not to mention the aggravation of people cutting in line.

All to ask... I heard there's an alternative entrance to the main one. Did anyone find it?

Beer lineups were a nightmare.

Main stage area set up is poorly designed.

I'm undecided on the new setup. At least for last night it allowed us a pretty decent view of Soundgarden that we wouldn't have had last year because we got there after the band started. Left side, facing the stage, right at the very front you can sneak in and find good real estate. Also, easy access to the beer lines from there, which weren't bad at all halfway through the SG set.

In general though it did feel cramped. The new setup also really cripples traffic on the parkway. Hopefully they have a better reason than trying to stop a few hundred people from catching a free show. That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

But isn't it nice that we don't complain about lawn chairs anymore. ;)

I barely saw a lawn chair last night. I guess only certain acts attract chairs.

I grabbed some nice photos of The Flaming Lips and Soundgarden. Will hopefully post some today if I'm not too busy.

I've been following Wayne Coyne on twitter and he's been posting in Ottawa since Sunday. He had a good enough time here to post some interesting photos w/tweets. A couple are NSFW.

Here's one from last night from the stage

btw, did anyone catch the kids getting a $10,000 check from the Malhotra Family Foundation? They're the kids that were busking outside of bluesfest last year after Arcade Fire, then Arcade Fire joined them. They were so impressed that they setup this donation thingy and they're matching the $10,000 making it a cool $20,000 apparently to help kickstart a career in music. They seem a little young to get 20 grand.

btw, did anyone catch the kids getting a $10,000 check from the Malhotra Family Foundation? They're the kids that were busking outside of bluesfest last year after Arcade Fire, then Arcade Fire joined them. They were so impressed that they setup this donation thingy and they're matching the $10,000 making it a cool $20,000 apparently to help kickstart a career in music. They seem a little young to get 20 grand.

Yeah, they were given the cheque immediately before The Lips went on stage and when the presenter mentioned Arcade Fire I was dying for Coyne to come out and make some smart remark about it. Assuming the two bands are still "feuding" that is. ;)

So the money goes directly to the Dube brothers? I wasn't really clear on what that was all about.