Jambands.ca

Top Chef Canada starts tonight.

rubberdinghy

I see your point, but any moderately competent chef uses technique, experience, creativity, improvisation and knowledge of complementary flavours and styles to turn ANY ingredients into above-average cuisine. Surely you agree with that - it's pretty much the job description. Any chef that believes they are handcuffed with a less-than-ideal ingredient isn't trying hard enough.

Don't understand your point about San Marzano tomatoes - are you saying canned San Marzanoes aren't available at Loblaws? Cuz they are at Costco. I saw saffron at Loblaws yesterday even. Not exactly local - maybe they can hop on the same plane as the truffle and olive oils and mozzarella etc.

Yes, it's not home chef and they're cooking with someone else's money for a tv show, but it'd be nice to see above-average skills applied to everyday ingredients to make fine dining cuisine. Not gonna happen though.

It's a silly debate; I take credit for most of it. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with Jaybone about the Padma thing (freaky arm and all, I'll always love you Padma) and the ingredient thing.

Ultimately, I completely agree with anyone that thinks the Canadian series is complete and utter crap. I lastest a few episodes, if you watched the whole series you're a stronger, more determined person than me.

Also, if Ollie agrees with you then you're automatically wrong by default, sorry AD.